Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

What power tools?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Tools' started by Dave500, Jan 30, 2017.

Discuss What power tools? in the Plumbing Tools area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Dave500

Dave500 New Member

Hi all I will soon hopefully be moving from my current employer to my new one to carry on my apprenticeship and I will be doing new build site work 1st and 2nd fix and I need to supply my own power tools(battery kit).
    Could you please roughly advise me on what make to go for and what actual tools I'll need (with out spending massive amounts)
    Cheers,
    Dave.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

18 volt Makita for me . 4 amp battery's and make sure you invest in the drills with metal chucks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Makita for impact / combi / woodworking eg saws etc

Bosch for sds

• Like Like x 1
  4. oz-plumber

oz-plumber Plumber

What ever you choose you will be stuck with for a long time.

I bought a Milwaukee 12v & 18v kit 10 years ago.
    I've added to it an replaced original bits numerous times but have so many batteries and chargers that I don't think it will be possible to change to another brand without replacing everything.

Saying that, from my experience, I don't think I would consider going to anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Milwaukee for me Higher amp hours on battery the better.

Look at both voltage and amp hours !!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jay The Plumber

Jay The Plumber Active Member

people will advise you on what they own..
    ive had makita twice, hitachi once.. I bought milwaukee this time around and its excellent.
    but, makita, dewalt and milwaukee were all in the running and I would be happy with any of them. get the 18v brushless stuff and youll be fine

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dave500

Dave500 New Member

Thanks everyone for your input, I've been looking at getting a impact, combi, sds and a multi tool do you think that this would do me for a while?

8. GQuigley67

GQuigley67 Trusted Plumber GSR

combi and sds should be fine for an apprentice, I would buy Makita drill from screwfix with 2 batteries, and buy the sds body only from online, not ideal forking out on this equipment on an apprentice wage

• Like Like x 1
  9. Martin00

Martin00 GSR

Makita 18v

• Like Like x 1
  10. aqua.heat

aqua.heat GSR

No such thing as buying cheap if it's used day in day out.

If you are PAYE though you should supply your basic hand tools. They should supply everything else needed.

If you are SE to them then look at the tools as an investment. Get the highest Amperage you can afford. Don't drop below 4ah now. Get a few tools every pay check unless you can buy all at once.

Don't buy drill bits, blades, anything that wears, that's up to them to supply its in the cost of the job.

You seem young? Don't let them dictate. You charge your price but don't buy all the sundries that they have already priced for! You think the plugs and screws are free?

If you are PAYE then basics and ask for a purchase order book or a call to the office will give you the PO numbers to use if needed.

Always buy your own tools though as if/when you leave you have nothing to owe them.

Jon

• Like Like x 3
  11. M1keJ

M1keJ New Member

I use makita 18V. Easy to add body only from online. PowertoolsUK gave me great service. And buy a sharpie. And write your name on everything. Not cheap to replace

12. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Any good 18v hammer drill with maybe a impact driver, if you are on new build, walls aren't going to be to hard for drilling I have just got a Makita set with 3 battery's for just over £200

13. Chuck

Chuck Top Contributor!!

Keep your receipts carefully and check with HMRC what the current rules are about claiming a tax rebate for work-related expenses. (The rules can be complicated so don't rely on what anybody other than HMRC or your accountant tells you.)

14. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I have purchased a few dewalt recently. Really pleased with them to be honest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Phil

Phil Plumber

Dewalt seem to be upping their game recently..