Search the forum,

Discuss What jobs that you know how to do will you not do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
There must be a more elegant way to phrase that but nothing came to mind.

Plumbing jobs that is.

Jobs you would do in your own place yourself and so are confident in your abilities to complete but turn away the prospect of hard cash and future custom because of your bloated, casual western ways.

Fit a kitchen instead of just doing the plumbing and electrics

Bathrooms - if possible I avoid
Most tiling except the odd small job or fill in
Large jobs like new houses
Any plumbing jobs that people are trying to get done very cheap, or being very demanding
Site work, - thankfully I don't do any
Work for builders or any group other than mainly house owners
Work for certain foreign people
Work for scum
Gas pipe work and gas boilers etc, only because I am not qualified.

Last edited:
Site work - just don't enjoy it any more
Tiling - too slow
Anything where people start by telling me how to do the job, or want to haggle. You know they'll be a nightmare...

Work for people that want to argue about the price.
Anybody I get "a gut feeling" about.
Finishing off a DIY project.
People that buy used second hand pumps from fleabay and want me to install it.
Tenants.

Site work - hate it.
Air source heat pumps - always a disappointment.
Fitting a new back boiler - once was enough!!

Full bathrooms nah to hard work now
Tiling does my head in !!
Full central heating systems again hard work
Try to avoid builders as much as possible however some jobs they turn up .

Anything that involves a builder to start with, site work and anyone that sets the gut alarm bells ringing which as I get older seems to be more and more people.

Know how to do a lot of things, over the years got load's of skills, Cast iron drainage, Lead work, copper roofing etc. Now got to an age cant be bothered to do anything, except the jobs I want to do! Not what I have to do.

I know how to unblock a toilet, but there wont be a single person out there willing to pay me enough money to make me want to do it. If my own toilet blocked up I would be calling someone out!!

I find blocked toilets easy money, I don't work for chavs/white trash..

Site work - just don't enjoy it any more
Tiling - too slow
Anything where people start by telling me how to do the job, or want to haggle. You know they'll be a nightmare...

Oh, and I decline blocked/faulty macerators. Mainly because I have only worked on a couple and don't know them well enough to troubleshoot, and ones full of poo are probably not the best to learn on....

easier to say what I like, servicing and repairs of oil n gas boilers, hanging intergas boilers and not any other make now.

Oh, and I decline blocked/faulty macerators. Mainly because I have only worked on a couple and don't know them well enough to troubleshoot, and ones full of poo are probably not the best to learn on....

That`s how I started out mas, doing the rank smelling overflowing ceiling staining stomach churning eye watering little bleeders that can give you hepatitis with one little nick but sign up for my 10 day condensed short course at only 5k and the world is your oyster. lol

Re-siliconing a bath or shower.
Working on IDEAL ISAR boilers.

Last edited:
I do all of them , thats coz I am a tight ar@e yorkshire man , who wont pay anybody to do anything

Site work - hate it.
Air source heat pumps - always a disappointment.
Fitting a new back boiler - once was enough!!

site work i agree
air source heat pumps I love, I fit the Mitsubishi range and think they're fantastic
just like you, did one new baxi back boiler. NEVER EVER AGAIN. I was close to tears

What is everyone's problem with site work? I love it :)

It's brilliant working with other trades especially the grumpy ones as you can wind them up. You need to find a good company if you don't get paid, I've been doing this 10 years on site now and have never had a pay packet missed :)

It's brilliant working with other trades especially the grumpy ones as you can wind them up. You need to find a good company if you don't get paid, I've been doing this 10 years on site now and have never had a pay packet missed :)

fine if your on their books, it is the ones that go quiet on your last invoice that have wound me up in the past, plus i have seen a few small firms go bust when builders mess them about.

I actually quite enjoy site work. I am getting more and more of it coming my way as well. I love the first fix stage, not a dust sheet in site, its brilliant.

Never been bumped on a building site wages in every week plus a bit of OT
Just don't like the hassle of it these days

Work for people that want to argue about the price.
Anybody I get "a gut feeling" about.
Finishing off a DIY project.
People that buy used second hand pumps from fleabay and want me to install it.
Tenants.

Plus anyone who wants me to go through their garage to see if anything can be used. I.e rusty 20 yo screws, wood, anything that's been lying about for years.

I only take on jobs where money can be made.

I absolutely hate some of the jobs we take on - in fact repulsed by some of the work.

At the end of the job - work out expenses, wages and so on, and think next time we do something like that add another 30% for ......pleasantries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What jobs that you know how to do will you not do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Can anyone give handy advice for pricing repair jobs, please? Do I add a % on parts? What about a PRV that's hard to get to? Do you take the difficulty into consideration? Appreciate any advice
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and joined specifically to try to get an answer to my question. I have an 88yo mother-in-law who is recently widowed and her 90yo husband who has since passed insisted on doing everything for himself. Nothing wrong with that but now that he has gone my wife...
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise to help. I know exactly what situation it took awhile. On the loft on the 6th floor there is a cold water tank this tank feeds six properties in a straight line below my property is on the third floor so in the middle. The job would entail...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock