Search the forum,

Discuss What is the point! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
you old boys moan about how much you was on back in the days. but look how much stuff has gone up, minimum london living wage is now £8PH

I bet car insurance wasnt 2400 a month
single buss journey £2.30

just saying :)

But back on the topic.

I dont think companys like if you already have a level 2-3 if your under 21 as they dont get funding. There are apprenticeships out there you just got to find them.

Last edited:
you old boys moan about how much you was on back in the days. but look how much stuff has gone up, minimum london living wage is now £8PH

But back on the topic.

I dont think companys like if you already have a level 2-3 if your under 21 as they dont get funding. There are apprenticeships out there you just got to find them.

And you could buy a house for a fiver!

Jack it in, why bother. Get into something else its too hard.

more work for me...Haha

But back on the topic.

Blimey! your insurance is £28,000 a year!? What you driving a Mclaren F1 car to jobs?

Last edited by a moderator:

£28800/yr!!! What are you driving? a Lambo.

If you put it in perspective things are not much different.
18 year old 2nd year apprentice 1976, wages around 40p/hr, insurance for a capri £230??odds. The graded apprentice rate today of £6.43 would make that about £3700 to insure it. I managed because i worked 12+ hr days and 7 days a week.
Petrol was 46p/gallon and **** were 23p for 10 bensons. Beer was about 40p a pint.
Compare that with todays wages and petrol is much the same, **** are half price and the beer is double!!

Companies don't particularly like you having a level 2 or 3 as that is not the way it is done. Someone really needs to point out to those leading youngsters down a blind alley that with trades you need to get the job before you get the qual. A (S)NVQ is not like an O level.
Btw the funding wouldn't pay for your bacon rolls. It is not an issue.

Times are hard and there is little demand for new starts but there are a few places for the (un)lucky.

Daily Star last week ; shortage of all tradesmen, most of all plumbers. Not an advertisement Came from a professional body . Obviously not talked to any plumbers before they printed id it.

At 28 I jacked my office job and went labouring on the building sites for agency, surprising making more money due to long hrs, got talking to the plumbers/pipefitters on site and after a few months got myself an interview as a apprentice... I had to wait another 5mths for a start but it eventully came. They put me through levels 2 & 3 and all my gas quals.

Stay positive, try some of the big companies websites they are sometimes seeking apprentices eg balfour beatty, mitie, norland, carillion, you can subscribe to their job mailing lists.
Try some of the local commercial companies who are more likely to take on apprentices to help their installers. You may start out cuting thousands of peices of unistrut and screwed rod but its all part of the process.

I hope you find something soon mate,

I myself am trying to get an apprenticeship in plumbing, if we want it enough we will get it!

Is that supposed to be helpful??????

im from South Africa & was looking at the UK Gumtree site
i see lots of jobs for plumbers etc-both permanent & temp/contract.
dont know if theres any jobs in your area but i think its worth checking out, if u have not done so already.

wish u all the best.

im self employed- which is not saying much
and i collect & sort scrap metal in addition to plumbing.
also use my van to move stuff for people etc
whatever i can find to earn money...........

Ive been in and out of work in the past few years,been in the game 25 years,and my mum says I am the best plumber in the world,cause I changed a mid position valve for her this morning,next week she will be calling me a t*** again.

thats life

same with me- i do something at home - everyones happy
then, when im busy & getting jobs but my mom wants something done at home-which im unable to do due to being too busy, im useless etc

it is soul destroying for sure mate, how are you going about trying to find an employer/experience?

Keep looking pal, don't give up a lucky break may be just around the corner.

I help out a local lad from the forum who is in your position.
Im sure there must be someone near you who could help. You just need to find them

Guess what??? Still nothing! I'd just like to say Thank You to all of those who have given support and kind words of encouragement over the past few months. The time has come to give up on the Plumbing career as its going nowhere.

Even doing something else you can still be looking!
dont be shy and be pro active!
I myself after leaving the army am a 'fast tracker', and I kept on keeping on! Eventually I landed a job...for free gaining the experience! I was with the local council and I try always to further enhance my skills and knowledge! ,got qualified and found a job! That was 7 years ago and now I've just got a job with northern gas networks! It CAN happen mate it really can,be positive and don't be a quitter! Ur in this deep so keep fighting!
It only takes you being the right place at the right time,or speaking to the right person just once!
chin up and Good luck!!

Last edited:
Even doing something else you can still be looking!
dont be shy and be pro active!
I myself after leaving the army am a 'fast tracker', and I kept on keeping on! Eventually I landed a job...for free gaining the experience! I was with the local council and I try always to further enhance my skills and knowledge! ,got qualified and found a job! That was 7 years ago and now I've just got a job with northern gas networks! It CAN happen mate it really can,be positive and don't be a quitter! Ur in this deep so keep fighting!
It only takes you being the right place at the right time,or speaking to the right person just once!
chin up and Good luck!!

top man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What is the point! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock