Search the forum,

Discuss What is the best method of connecting WC to Soil Stack? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlexJackson

Evening all, I am currently having a Bathroom fitted and had planned for the wc to go straight through the wall (at a straight or 14 degree angle) into the back of the soil stack.
However the builder said the pipe must come out horizontal then turn 90 degrees and then enter the side of the soil stack to slow the solids down.
This does not look good but he is adament that the solids will impact the soil pipe then block the wc -

I can't see it personally but am open to opinions of all the experience out there,

thanks
Alex
wfI86+7zF6GXEAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Last edited by a moderator:
The clue here is 'builder said',why not get a plumber in,who knows what he is talking about ,to do your bathroom ?

You still have the same drop,so nothing slows down,unless you get a typical builders installation were the first bit of soil from the pan runs up slightly !!

imho

Thanks Puddle the Builder has a Plumber he uses to do the work but maybe you are right about the builder says! He suggests the blockage will occur in the stack not at the bottom

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer going out to a bend first, & often this is needed anyway, as the soil stack won't always suit straight out ( windows, roofs in the way). But there is nothing wrong with a square junction immediately, as it is designed like a bend inside. Pipe should have a very slight fall to it. It could be argued that a bend first is slightly better for solids, but not much difference.

Can't see how it would matter, at some point the solids hit the stack either way
I was thinking same, but the theory probably is, if the toilet is straight to wall with junction on other side, then the short distance ( 500 mm? ) will mean solids will hit it without dispersing much. I think the builder is not completely wrong. Maybe he knows a lot! I should add, - I know toilets often have a bend straight on them, to the floor or side, but that doesn't mean it is exactly as good as a straight pipe first for a few feet.

Last edited:
if the pan is directly in line with the soil whats he going to do go left through the wall and back,he is talking out of his lower orifice mate ,shorter the better for any run of soil/ waste

Could this be a case of confusion between you and the builder? On very long soil drops, as the soil pipe makes its way to the interceptor, you should have a very long gradual bend to slow the velocity of the solid matter. Then into the interceptor and away at a normal angle.

I'm talking flats here, and main soil pipe runs. Not your average joes lav!!

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with going straight into it. Sounds like maybe it is easier for him to drill the hole and make soil pipe connections his way but Ive never heard any suggestions like this. Drill the hole, put a t in the soil pipe and connect the toilet, job done. Might not quite be that easy if its cast soil pipe but is still easy enough.

I suppose this might happen if the average jobbie is around 110mm in width and length but ... quick ... where's that bucket?

Proper venting, proper fall, proper alignment and decent drains are the key.

Evening all, I am currently having a Bathroom fitted and had planned for the wc to go straight through the wall (at a straight or 14 degree angle) into the back of the soil stack.
However the builder said the pipe must come out horizontal then turn 90 degrees and then enter the side of the soil stack to slow the solids down.
This does not look good but he is adament that the solids will impact the soil pipe then block the wc -

I can't see it personally but am open to opinions of all the experience out there,

thanks
Alex
wfI86+7zF6GXEAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
Thanks you for the post.

Hmm!

There is nothing to stop you going straight into the branch.

The problem is soil stacks move about, especially on single stack systems as the hot water from the bath or whb discharge into it.

I once went to a site of new houses where the branch of the junction had been buried in the wall, I think to pick up the wc. Nearly all of them had neatly broken off at the branch where it joined the junction. In other words it looked as though the stack had been contracting and expanding but the branch could not as it was held tight in the wall. Even if you anchored the branch junction either side of the branch with clips I do not know if that would be sufficient. I would prefer not to take the chance and put a bend on the WC into the stack.

theres always a slight fall on a soil pipe, the concern is when it connects to the main stack, what is opposite of this connection (an exsisting stack that has other apps connected to it like a wash basin) if your connecting to the stack and this app is directly opposite of the soil. The pressure of flushing wc can blow the seal on the wash basin trap and you will get a smell. Have come across builders not putting a long radius bend at the bottom of the stack, just a normal 90 and hence lots of blockages

Forgot to say I would be happy to put soil pipe straight into stack without any bends so long as it is within recommended falls & maximum length of soil pipe. Sorry cant quote these figures as my books are in van and have been paralysed by stella the fella, can just make it to the fridge for another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What is the best method of connecting WC to Soil Stack? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock