Search the forum,

Discuss What is the best bath sealant? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wacman

As it says really. I've recently tiled the bathroom and i'm now looking to seal around the bottom of tiles and bath. Any tips on the best sealant to use, brand names would be really useful. I've been told to go for a natural curing sealant and to avoid the type that smell like vinegar....though this doesn't really help when trying to find a decent one.

You tend to get what you pay for

As a start I would recommend an antimould sealant

Always use the best that you can afford and make sure it has anti-mould and anti-fungal properties. I like the Unibond Sanitary sealant and they do a sealant solely for the purpose of sealing round baths and showers. Our local B&M stores sell it cheaper than S*rewfix. Don't buy the budget stuff, it's a pile of cack and if it does manage to form a water tight seal, rest assured you'll be redoing it in a very short time.

I've used the expensive stuff and I've used the cheap stuff and have to say from experience there is very little difference in performance across the range. I find it's more down to how the silicone is applied, firstly that a gap has been left between the tile and bath, you get the silicone right into the joint and that the bath is full and left for 24 hrs after.

i agree fill the bath before sealing the weight of water pulls the bath down to make the gap slightly larger don't let the water out too soon to let the sealant cure properly

I done a seal round a bath with the No Nonsence budget sealant and using the usual methods of filling up the bath etc. Had to rake it all out a few weeks later and re do it with better sealant. I'm not a novice at this either.

If the bath is on a ground floor, then chances are if the cheap stuff leaks then you won't know about it, while if on a first floor it may pee down the ceiling. I don't like experimenting with customer's homes and usually prefer to use what works best for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I done a seal round a bath with the No Nonsence budget sealant and using the usual methods of filling up the bath etc. Had to rake it all out a few weeks later and re do it with better sealant. I'm not a novice at this either.

Maybe I haven't used the really, really, really, really cheap stuff. :) I've used T station own brand and center brand sanitary silicone white and clear and never had a problem.

The only one I had an issue with (can't remember the brand) was one that came out likle decorators caulk, blood horrible stuff.

Last edited:
the one that smells of vinager is best proberbly, dow corning the best but i use sx.
no problems in the last few years at ÂŁ2 a tube and maybe made in the same batch?

The vinegar smell is acetic acid, given off by real silicone.

FWIW I have found very little difference in durability between Dow corning 785 & the cheaper silicone, found they both dis-colour eventually

There are sealants that advertise that they are "forever white". The Evobond stuff is reputed to stay white for 10 years, though most bath seals never last that long.

Personally I don't trust anything Unibond, I've been let down by their products everytime I've used them. When I started out I did my mums shower with it, the ultra expensive ÂŁ12 a pop, power shower proof anti mould, anti fungal all singing all dancing etc.

Within 12 months it was as black as New Gates knocker.

All I use now is Mapei or Dow Corning.

Use the Polish plumber's preferred method.....run a roll of sellotape along your bath.

i find the best stuff to use to give a long lasting finish that never discolours is black, nice contrast too.

I currently use SX sanitary silicone. Mould discoloration will happen to any silicone if it isn't kept clean and wiped down regularly.

I have had problems with Unibond clear sanitary silicone going yellow.

Sealocrete silicone is rubbish - too runny and drips.

Over the years I have used all the brand names and was close to despair until lately I discovered a product called Sealfix, made by Solvall. It comes in different colours but clear or white is probably best for your job, and you can buy a cleaner which removes any excess sealant. It is anti fungal, but I agree with a previous reply that if it is not looked after, any product will discolour over time. It says on the tube that it will seal and bond even under water. This product has not let me down yet and I would recommend it to anyone.

Over the years I have used all the brand names and was close to despair until lately I discovered a product called Sealfix, made by Solvall. It comes in different colours but clear or white is probably best for your job, and you can buy a cleaner which removes any excess sealant. It is anti fungal, but I agree with a previous reply that if it is not looked after, any product will discolour over time. It says on the tube that it will seal and bond even under water. This product has not let me down yet and I would recommend it to anyone.
you sound like a sales man for solvall.

CT 1 is supposed to be very good too. Sound like a similar product, set under water. No idea if its any good under water but I have used it a lot on my boat.

Don't believe a sealant when it says it sets under water. I have a mate whos a lab technician at bostik and he says they say it but don't test it for that, same for the heats they can withstand.

Loving plumbersfriend and desrobs conversation all 1 word posts quality work guys.

Dow Corning goes black within a year or so, where used in places that are damp, like showers. Forever white is easier to use & garanteed to stay white 10yrs. Tec 7 is hard to use as a sealant, but grips clean surfaces well. The flex rubber strips that adhere to bath or shower tray, make a good upstand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What is the best bath sealant? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock