Discuss What is scrap cost of copper tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stratobuddy

Recently removed a copper HW tank, the type coated in foam insulation. It is a fairly large DHW tank but I don't know its capacity.

Can you give me an idea of its scrap value please?

Plug all the outlets and fill it with water before you take it down the scarp yard. It will weigh alot more then and you should get in the region of £300 for it. It's a little trick all us plumbers do.

Sand would be better, it wouldn't slop around and make a noise.

Thanks for the tip, I'll pass my plumber's exams yet!

wow! ever thought of being a scrap collector.lol.lol.

Thought about it,

Round here you get 30p per kilo for steel, so a ton of steel is worth £300, but that means driving round all day every day to get that much.

I took 6 radiators to scrappy and they gave me about £6.

And how often do you get copper? not very often really

If it's a hard water area, how do they work out what is copper, and what is rock?

They know the weight of a cylinder and if one comes in heavier than expected they cut it open to check. Bloke local to me got banned from every scrappy in the town for putting lead in with his copper. They pulled his picture off the CCTV and sent it to every yard. He has to deal with the mobile guys now that give him a lot less.

They know the weight of a cylinder and if one comes in heavier than expected they cut it open to check. Bloke local to me got banned from every scrappy in the town for putting lead in with his copper. They pulled his picture off the CCTV and sent it to every yard. He has to deal with the mobile guys now that give him a lot less.

Presumably, they pay less if the cylinder is rocked up to allow for extra time involved with processing it?

I wonder if this could explain regional variation in what a cylinder fetches, i.e. less in hard water areas.

we get fixed price for cylinders unless you strip, cut off top and clean out completely. and when i did it im sure i got less then i would of if i hadnt bothered

That's my view Howsie and the main reason why I don't bother with scrap. I took out an ancient HWC yesterday and told the customer that they could probably get £25 if they took it for scrap. They told me they'd have to battle with the landlord.

Me? Not my rubbish and no worries about how to lose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What is scrap cost of copper tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back