Search the forum,

Discuss what do the terms ' throating' and 'rippling' mean on a plumbing course? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bikerboy12

hi, i have started a plumbing course and they have asked in the module what do the terms ' throating' and 'rippling' mean. i have read the book from cover to cover, no luck there and looked on the internet ( wont say what that came up with!!) can anyone help me with these terms. :confused:

they are both to do with pressure when bending copper pipe in a pipe bender.
ok-wink.gif

These are terms describing what happens to copper pipe when it is bent in a floor-standing pipe bender and you do not have the roller pressure adjustment correct.

If you have the roller (that presses on the guide bar) too loosely adjusted, the inside curve of the bent pipe develops 'ripples' or corrugations across the pipe. These are unsightly and also increase flow resistance in the bend -- which you do not want!

If you have the roller adjusted too tight, you get excessive 'throating' on the inside curve of the bend -- which is a flattening of the pipe by pressure from the former (the quadrant). You always get some throating whenever you bend a pipe in a bender (hand or floor standing), but if excessive it also increase flow resistance, and is therefore undesirable.

I came across these terms during my NVQ2 plumbing course a while ago. But you can see explanations in books like Treloar's "Plumbing Encyclopaedia" -- highly recommended.

i'm doing the Learning and Skills Open College Plumbing Course

Thanks very much for explaining. i will look out for the Plumbing Encyclopedia as well. cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what do the terms ' throating' and 'rippling' mean on a plumbing course? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock