Search the forum,

Discuss what causes green stains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clio182

fitted a few compression fittings a few months ago! all ok - as there on show painted them white - to match walls

noticed a tiny pin ***** sizes green stain on one were it fixings on to the copper tube,

is this just simple electroises sp

cant find any leaks, so guessing its nothing to worry about :)

thanks all

green on pipes is usually flux which hasnt been wiped away, or LDF or something similar

Is it emulsion paint? If so then that's your problem. You need to rub down bare copper pipe with white spirit and paint with metal primer first. Emulsion paint is porous and lets damp through which tarnishes the copper and gives the green hue.

flux it sounds like, if it is you need to clean it off with some wire wool or something as eventually self cleaning fluk will eat through the pipe and leave you with a pin hole leak that if in a hidden place can leak for a long time before noted and cause damage.

i didnt use any flux - just tightened them up with a spanner!?

Sounds like he used compressions so no flux. Could be weeping from the joint. Tighten up a bit more.

I nearly responded to this earlier but wanted to see what others said first as I wasn't sure!

I think it's oxidization of copper where it contacts with water and chemically produces copper oxide (a greenish/turquoise colour).

I nearly responded to this earlier but wanted to see what others said first as I wasn't sure!

I think it's oxidization of copper where it contacts with water and chemically produces copper oxide (a greenish/turquoise colour).

I concur with this check out any copper roof , done a few back in the day and they are now a rather green hue .

Is it emulsion paint? If so then that's your problem. You need to rub down bare copper pipe with white spirit and paint with metal primer first. Emulsion paint is porous and lets damp through which tarnishes the copper and gives the green hue.

spot on this is the cause agree with wheps

can be caused also by household cleaning products and soaps etc coming into contact with copper!!!

hence why its nearly always under sinks or baths that its the worst.

KJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what causes green stains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock