Search the forum,

Discuss what caues hot water to gurggle in pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clio182

only hot water never cold?!

try putting your thumb over the outlet of the tap in an attempt to clear any air lock

can you trace the pipe work to this tap?

yes pipe work goes down the wall from up in the roof,

i turn it on (obviously cold comes out the hot) till it warms up - then you get a gurrrrrrclurrcking clunk clunk noise for say a couple of seconds then all ok ??! i know its nothing major just irritating
only does it if no hot water has been run for say a day - if you redo running the water say after a few hours etc - all ok and no noise???!!

Last edited by a moderator:
put palm of hand over hot water tap, will see if the clunk clunk goes away??

^^ tried the above hasnt made any difference but i am a bit wiser!!!

i turn the tap on and get a pretty good flow, as the hot water starts to flow through the pipe the flow gets better (with out touching the tap or turning it any more)- say after 15-20 seconds - then the water is starting to get hot! then clunk clunk clunk and the flow is at required temp?! do you think its the tap????? thank all :) only a couple of clunks but i would like to get rid of them!!

^^ tried the above hasnt made any difference but i am a bit wiser!!!

i turn the tap on and get a pretty good flow, as the hot water starts to flow through the pipe the flow gets better (with out touching the tap or turning it any more)- say after 15-20 seconds - then the water is starting to get hot! then clunk clunk clunk and the flow is at required temp?! do you think its the tap????? thank all :) only a couple of clunks but i would like to get rid of them!!

Isit a range unvented cylinder ??

not that im aware of no - pipes go to tanks in the roof - and obvioulsy the tank in the roof is vented

why?!

anyone have any more info for me please??!

the tap / pipe dont make any noise why cold water is running through the pipe/tap as soon as it gets hot - clunk clunk clunk - water flow isnt really effected, only on this pipe/tap

i cant find any raised pipework - so dont think its air - although it does sound like it and what else can it be

its not the pipe work that is banging on anything - as its all clipped very well

im all out of ideas??!

ive replaced the tap valve but not the body.

:( i can live with it but still very annoying as it never did it before we had the burst!!!!

thanks for your reply ^ no air bubbles,

only thing it does do - which is a tiny bit strange is you turn it on - pretty good flow - just turn it a fraction - then as the hot water flow gets going - cold turns to hot the flow does get even faster - thats when its makes its clunk clunk noise - then its fine - during this time there are no air bulbbles are no spitting etc

any other suggestions, ??! previously it was mentioned that it could be the tap body that has issues?! but wouldnt the cold water cause problems to the same body - just seem to be the hot water!

Could be the head of the vent pipe isn't tall/long enough or the feed is in the wrong place on the pipework.

When the system is calling for hot water or heating is there water coming out of the vent pipe? Or is there suction on the vent pipe? You'll need two people to sort this. One at the F&E cistern and the other operating the heating. Heating off then on. Does water come out of the vent pipe? If not, then get a jug of water and hold it over end of vent pipe. Heating off then on. Does water get sucked out of the jug? If not then the pipework is fine and is probably a tap or something. If water comes out of vent pipe or is sucked into it then there's a pipework issue.

[Edit]

Just seen this is an old thread ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what caues hot water to gurggle in pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Has anyone one fit or serviced one of these before; Heatrae Sadia 25l 9004010. It a 25 litre hot water storage cylinder.
Replies
Views
Can anyone remember the Mira mixer shower that would work down to a really low pressure on a vented hot water system without a shower pump?
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock