Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss What can I use to repair hole in bath? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. martind

martind Member

I was approached today and informed of a hole about the size of a 1p coin in the side of the bath, not far from the base. (The lad has dropped a glass fish tank on the bath puncturing the side).

It is one of them baths that I would generically refer to as "plastic", although the correct name of the material is probably called something else.

Please could anyone suggest a type of filler intended for repairing this sort of thing?

2. Dan

Dan Admin

Any pictures?

3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

TBH I would warrenty any repair but there are people who will repair and reenamel

But these normally cost the same as a new bath and arnt the best

4. martind

martind Member

I just want to make the bath water tight. It won't be a paid job. Cosmetic finish not important within reason.

5. martind

martind Member

I've not actually seen the job yet, but can imagine from the description. I will get a photo when I go up.

6. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Afternoon Dan. Where you been hiding?:p:p

• Like Like x 2
  7. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Fibre glass then

• Like Like x 2
  8. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

I've had some success with this before. Not the prettiest job ever but it saw them through for a few months until I replaced the bath.
    Big Boy fibreglass repair kit

9. Dan

Dan Admin

Just been busy with one thing or another. And then had last week off, nipped camping for a few days. :)

10. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Isopon car body repair kit. Not pretty tho.

11. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Brand new bog standard plastic or pressed steel bath about £100 and sorted.
    Fitting it, a different matter.

12. Chuck

Chuck Active Member

Repair kits for acryllic baths are available for about £40 (use Google), e.g.

Acrylic Bath Repair Kit | Cracked Bath Repair Kit | Anglo Adhesives

I suggest you point this out to the home owner if they wish to DIY but advise against it. Quote to replace the bath. They may be able to claim this as accidental damage on their household policy.

IMO, don't risk your reputation - do it right or walk away. If you fit a nice new bath and make a proper job your customer will get over the cost and end up being happy. If your botched repair leaks and damages their ceiling they'll forget you did them a no-promises temporary fix and post videos of your rotten work on YouTube.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  13. Harvest Fields

:p:p:p:p:p House insurance :p:p:p:p:pHouse insurance.

14. Chuck

Chuck Active Member

Home insurance accidental damage explained

IME, the accident described would be covered by most policies. Whether it's worth claiming would depend on the policy and cost of repair/replacement. Always worth considering the possibility even if a claim is not eventually made.

15. Harvest Fields

I meant them not having home insurance not that I would not be covered. Should have explained my laughter better;) sorry

• Like Like x 1
  16. martind

martind Member

JC (Thanks). Will I be able to make the repair from the exterior side of the bath? The bath is boxed in and the exterior won't be seen).

17. Harvest Fields

Will that not leave a jagged edge on the inside?

18. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

When I used it last I did it from the exterior, then filled the interior hole with resin. Stunk the house out for 2 days, but it worked. Make sure you follow the instructions and spend as long as possible prepping it. It must be clean and roughed up, but the instructions tell you all you need to know.

19. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

Worth noting that this was suggested by customer and I did it with no guarantees and made a note of that on the invoice. It was just to get them through to the bathroom refit and I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent fix.

20. dean.diy

dean.diy Member

if you haven't done it yet, use the fibreglass to hold a credit
    card over the hole. When it has hardened go over the outside
    of the card

21. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

I personally wouldn't do that.
    You'd be adding another unnecessary element to the fix, the fibreglass and resin set solid, I'd say 4 layers of fibreglass and resin is about as thick and strong as the original bath.
    Also if you're working on a non-flat part of the bath the credit card would spoil the curve.
    I've got an old credit card that has started to peel, it seems to be made from layers of laminate that could come apart with time, I get why Dean would think that it would add to the fix, but I personally don't think that it would make it stronger than fibreglass/resin alone.

22. martind

martind Member

Update: I have now made a good repair to the bath.

The hole was not quite as big as I imagined. For the main part of the repair I used 3 layers of the "Big boy" fibre glass recommended by JC (Thank you), on the exterior of the bath, and it is very good stuff too. I also put a tad amount of U-POL smooth body filler on the inside of the indent that was only about the size of my finger nail.

The guy filled the bath up and left it over night and no leaks.

Thank you for all the replies. It is nice when people put the effort in to make suggestions in an attempt to help, and of course, it is much appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  23. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

Woohoo :) I do like me a big boy in the bath :p

24. MissDIY

MissDIY New Member

I have used Anglo Adhesives Bath Repair Kit as tagged above and i thought it was great! I had a small hole about the size of a 5p and using the putty and liquid solution it sealed the hole perfectly! Well worth the £44.99 as fitting a new bath and having to re-tile would have cost me a fortune.