Search the forum,

Discuss What are plumbers called? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad had 'the brains in the drains' on the back of his van, always loved this when I was a kid

Of all the suggestions, I think that by far the best is - - - - - >

PIPER

This is descriptive of nearly all work done by plumbers eg gas pipes, water pipes, drain pipes, downpipes.

It is gender-free.

It is a nice word, on a par with brickies and sparks etc.

It amazes me that there has never been a word for plumbers. The question is, how can we "change the world" and introduce this word into common use, and would you want this anyway?

Why not just call us plumbers or heating engineers or gas fitters. Us professionals are not insecure enough to need some quaint nickname like the lesser trades.

Dunno about the plumbers, but at the heating firm I apprenticed with we had the following:

Pipe stranglers = the wet boys
Service monkeys = the service engineers
Phil & Vent = repairs engineers

Is this what this forum has now come down to? 80 posts about nick names for plumbers? What a load of cack.

I've always known it as a Leaky. My Dad had a Plumber that worked for him many years ago. I only knew him a leaky....he answered to it.

Yeah we call them sparks now, or self-indulgent, arrogant, over charging pig dogs for short.

Its an odd one this the times ive been onsite and even when the electrical and mechanical are run by the same firm you think they'l lend you a set of steps for 5 mins !!!

As for what we should be called im sure it has no bearing on many of things ive had shouted at me hahaha

Last edited:
Its an odd one this the times ive been onsite and even when the electrical and mechanical are run by the same firm you think they'l lend you a set of steps for 5 mins !!!

As for what we should be called im sure it has no bearing on many of things ive had shouted at me hahaha

we always pinch the spark's lovely yellow steps when they go on break etc lol, they are also very handy for ties, rod, clipping to their trays etc. (although the cables always seem to be in our way!!)

we always pinch the spark's lovely yellow steps when they go on break etc lol, they are also very handy for ties, rod, clipping to their trays etc. (although the cables always seem to be in our way!!)

Haha you work on same sites as me lol

I 100% agree and have you ever noticed how clean they always are. You never see a spark with dirty hands lol

you out ask to borrow them. I just take them even if the sparks are still on them.

Painters were called toshers
Decorators were called stickers
Can`t recall shortened nickname for plumber though ...mind you I am getting older ..regards Turnpin

I believe plumbers have the same collective noun as Goldfinches.
As in "A charm of Goldfinches."

Last edited:
Simply.....Plumbers.

The word speaks for itself.

Most other trades have names that are / were / remain derogatory to their trades and ability to work and perform as tradesmen ( or tradespersons to be politically correct )

Unfortunately..in the general consensus, plumbers are highly skilled and not deserved of rudimentary, demeaning or belittling comments about us and our trade.

If this was the case, a universal term would be commonly used and would had been used for many hundreds, if not thousands of years.

We might be as proud of showing the world our bum crack as any aspiring super model showing her bikini bridge.
You don't hear of a carpenters, electrician or painters crack...do you?

It comes down to the fact that we are plumbers - and every other trade is jealous.

They are all 'closet plumbers'

"Smart-asses" or "UKPF addicts" after reading all the posts on this subject.

Bricklayers = brickies

Electricians = sparks

Plasterers = spreads

Customers = custards

Plumbers = ?????

I don't think I've ever heard a slang word, is there one?

If not, can you suggest one?

Pipey springs to my mind.

Loaded? Well off? Rich?

when on site most builders call me plumb if they forget my name, then puddles once they get to know me!!

They can call me want they want. They do have to remember though that my reaction time will depend on what they do call me.

As an apprentice my nick name is "gofa" go for this go for that i kinda like that nickname.

Simples, we have all trades on our sites, so everyone gets called Barry (can never remember why, it just started one day and it stuck :) )

Though I think I'll go with leaky or puddles. as the best suggestions yet :)

If you are calling me after 4 on a Friday with a breakdown it had better be 'Sir' with plenty of pleases involved too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What are plumbers called? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock