Search the forum,

Discuss What are plumbers called? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tap dancer

Bricklayers = brickies

Electricians = sparks

Plasterers = spreads

Customers = custards

Plumbers = ?????

I don't think I've ever heard a slang word, is there one?

If not, can you suggest one?

Pipey springs to my mind.

Can't think of a good one yet but are electricians called sparks now? that annoys me it was sparky at one time?

BTW Plumb is a slang word.

Plumbum is latin for lead. Pipes in roman times until recent history were lead, we got called leaders, or plumbers in English!!

Yeah we call them sparks now, or self-indulgent, arrogant, over charging pig dogs for short.

Leaky?

Wet?

(Speak for yourself dkia ...)

Best I was called was a phone call from an eccentric old lady (lovely person as it turned out): "Is that the boilerman? Can you come and do my tap?"

My sparky just talks in acronims now. He's off to to do a PR, but thinks there are some dodgy JB's which won't pass the IS and he'll have to issue a RR to the owner....and so on. We just take the mick out of him and go............O............K.

Pipe monkey is semi decent.

Carpenter = Chippy

Don't know about decoraters?

This is a long time ago BTW Phil. I'm not living with ma and pa these days!! LOL. Got kids of my own.

Years ago when I was a clerk of works on BT I was scowling at a decorator slapping paint on a wall when he turned round to me.

"Here Clerky," he said "They call you Clerky, you got brickies, sparks and chippies. What do the call decorators?"

I looked at the state of his work and gave him a four word answer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pipe butcher

Pipe monkey

and then all the stuff I can't put down on here as it is rated PG

Boilerman?

When I turn up at a job and a kid answers the door I tell them to tell their mum the "........mans here"

Whatever the problem is like "shower tray mans here" or the "guttering man"

As a lot of plumbers are actually heating guys, I would suggest "Heating Engineer" or just "Engineer" or when advertising - " ...qualified Technician" etc. After all, other occupations often unskilled have fancy titles! What really irritates me is when people assume you are uneducated because you are a plumber!

"Pipe maintenance Manager" ...now that sounds good!

or not so good "Sewerologist" !

(got those off Internet.)

I've always called decorators PDs, On site I've heard plumbers called bum cracks, I get that one but to be fair it goes for pretty much all trades except PDs who have those nice romper suits on :)

"Fitters" might be appropriate, or for those plastic plumbers, - "Push Fitters"!

I remember about 30years ago being told of an old plumber in his late 90s - ( so he would have been practically from the Victorian era), who still did the odd wee tap washer job. He would have obviously used lead pipes in his day, but also they did all the guttering on houses in those bygone days. He walked past us one day & his neighbour went to introduce us as plumbers to him. He just kept walking & shouted back, " they are not plumbers nowadays, just fitters!"
Guess he had a point! Wonder what he would have thought of plastic? :smile:

Can't think of a good one yet but are electricians called sparks now? that annoys me it was sparky at one time?

At one time 'bright as a spark' referred to a clever individual.

Doesn't apply to electricians nowadays though :)

Well, if it's me they're referring to then it's:

Perfect

[cough]

What are plumbers called?

Depends on how badly wrong the job has gone!

;-)

When we did a big underfloor heating job we got called "the uncoiler & the bender"

Painters = brushands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What are plumbers called? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock