Search the forum,

Discuss Weird shower drain - how to unblock? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, shower hasn't been draining properly recently, not blocked but slow to drain.

Can anyone please explain to me what's going on in the drain? There is some sort of pipe/cylinder running crossways directly under the waste. Not what I expected to see (but am DIY novice).

Not sure best way to clear blockage, any help appreciated, thanks.

p.s. shower tray is a Mira non-slip acrylic one if that's relevant.

IMG_1422.JPG IMG_1423.JPG

I think you’ll find that it is part of the integral trap within the fitting. Some fittings are called ‘turbo’ or ‘fast flow’ and they have a internal trap. I have a similar idea on mine and when the flow gets restricted by hair etc I place a sink plunger over the outlet (while I am having a shower) this fills up the tray and then just give the plunger a go. This clears any build up in the fitting and the and the water in the tray washes it all away.

I think you’ll find that it is part of the integral trap within the fitting. Some fittings are called ‘turbo’ or ‘fast flow’ and they have a internal trap. I have a similar idea on mine and when the flow gets restricted by hair etc I place a sink plunger over the outlet (while I am having a shower) this fills up the tray and then just give the plunger a go. This clears any build up in the fitting and the and the water in the tray washes it all away.
Thanks for the help, will give that a go, cheers

You cant take it apart to clean. Don't undo the 2 screws as this sandwiches the trap to the tray. A big plunger is the best option.

You cant take it apart to clean. Don't undo the 2 screws as this sandwiches the trap to the tray. A big plunger is the best option.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I already took the screws out to have a look. Noticed some old silicon sealant around the rim where the top bit slots in. Do I have a problem now???

You wont know until the ceiling downstairs gets stained. If its on the ground floor it might smell mouldy after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Weird shower drain - how to unblock? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock