Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Water tank for toilets in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. KyleTheCat

KyleTheCat New Member

Hello,
    My house currently has all the cold water from mains and a combi boiler so now water tank in loft.

I was wondering - could I install a water tank in the loft for the toilets only? Run mains up to the loft for the tank - install the tank and overflow (Use existing overflow that's still present from before combi upgrade) and cap off at the toilets the mains and run some new piping to the toilets - we are currently updating the house anyway so it would be much extra work since we are literally stripping out and replacing entire bathrooms and kitchen at moment - I was thinking if water had to be turned off toilets still flush for a while and if I needed to work on the toilets I could just turn off the tank instead of all the cold water.

2. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

Or just fill 2 or 3 buckets before you turn off the water.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

It's a lot of work and cost be better like above

We're talking 1500-2k by the time you talk of tank, stand, pump etc

Be better off having a plastic drum a pump and a hose pipe if you don't want buckets

4. Chuck

Chuck Top Contributor!!

Possible? Yes. A good idea? No.

Plumbers are actually quite skilled at doing what you need. They use sophisticated methods like 'planning', 'pressure testing' and 'temporary isolation' that allow work to proceed on one part of a system without affecting other parts. They will be able to do in hours what an amateur will take days to complete.

Give a local company with a good reputation a call.

• Like Like x 1
  5. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Bit ott in my opion most people want a dry loft now so no risk of flooding their homes , employ a good plumber or heating engineer cheers kop

6. Ant Parkes

Ant Parkes Member

As above, it's a little OTT for what you want it for.

Most half decent plumbers will keep as much working as they possibly can while undertaking work.

7. KyleTheCat

KyleTheCat New Member

Will I need a pump? Won't the gravity just fill the toilets fine since they are gonna be lower than the tank?

8. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Yes and no but your going to need a check valve also and going to take ages to fill could be more than 5+ mins depending on head pressure if you don't have a pump