Search the forum,

Discuss Water splashing over toilet bowl when flushed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the summer I fitted a another (not new) toilet that I had in storage. I put a new fluidmaster brass shank bottom entry fill valve. http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/fluidmaster-bottom-entry-brass-shank-fill-valve/47792 and new standard syphon.

There is nothing wrong with the valve, it works fine. The thing is, I had to fit the cistern a bit higher on the wall than usual to cover some holes that were in the tiles behind it.

When the toilet is flushed, often (but not every time), a small amount of water comes over the toilet bowl. I've adjusted the fluidmaster so it is on the minimum fill, and this brings the water level to about 30mm below the level mark. I then placed a full house brick in the cistern to reduce the total amount of water . However, a bit of water still splashes over the bowl occasionally when flushed.

I have concluded that the problem is probably due to the height of the cistern causing too much flushing pressure. Am I correct? If so, how can I reduce the flushing pressure so that the water does not splash over the bowl? I thought of putting "something" inside the pipe??
https://youtu.be/TYMcqB2EENc

Attachments

• 20170210_224340.jpg
    20170210_224340.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170210_224514.jpg
    20170210_224514.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 22
Close the toilet lid then flush. Remove the brick from the cistern (it will dissolve) and replace with a plastic bag (Hippo water saver) filled with water.

Remove the flush pipe from the rear of the pan and block off the center hole in where the flush pipe connector sits. Should help.

Hi Ray, I'll get one of those water saving bags-I didn't realise that the brick would dissolve-thanks.

I agree that the seat would stop water splashing over. I have a new one ready to fit on that is also a wood, and I think the water* regularly splashing would spoil it. With hindsight I would have been better buying a plastic seat, but plastic is a bit cold to sit on.

Deg, I'm missing something here. As far as I recall, there was only one hole at the back-unsure?? Do you mean just partially block it to restrict water flow? Can you tell me a little more about this as it could sort my problem out? Thanks.

This has come up before and from memory you make a plastic washer where the O/D is the same size as the flush pipe with a slightly smaller hole in the middle to reduce the power of the water as it passes through.

Another good idea RPM. Can I ask, how is the plastic/ rubber washer is held in place inside the pipe? I'm guessing that if it was made from thick rubber about 30mm thick it would probably be a snug fit as it could be wedged in/water proof glued in?

Last edited:
Not inside the pipe! The outside diameter of the "Washer or Reducer" is the same size as the pipe so it fits inside the hole of the pan where the flush pipe enters then the flush pipe holds it in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water splashing over toilet bowl when flushed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock