Search the forum,

Discuss Water meter not measuring upstairs usage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

J

Juicyfruit

Hi all,

I've moved home recently and was curious to see how much change in the water meter reading having a bath would have - The meter is in the downstairs toilet so I can see the reading. I've noticed however that after a bath, there was no change at all in the reading, if I run any taps downstairs, the meter springs into life - Does anyone know what's going on here? The water upstairs is fed from a cold water tank in the loft

Thank you!

Does anyone know what's going on here?
I'll take a wild guess that the meter was incorrectly installed after the branch to the riser that supplies the upstairs part of the house.

You should advise your water provider of your suspicions so that they can fix the installation for you. Otherwise, there is a risk that when they figure out the problem for themselves one day they'll want to bill you for years of unmetered usage.

Also, now you know there's a problem, failing to advise them is probably theft.

Hi all,

I've moved home recently and was curious to see how much change in the water meter reading having a bath would have - The meter is in the downstairs toilet so I can see the reading. I've noticed however that after a bath, there was no change at all in the reading, if I run any taps downstairs, the meter springs into life - Does anyone know what's going on here? The water upstairs is fed from a cold water tank in the loft
Hi all,

Thank you!

Thank you!
Hi all,

Thank you!
the meter should obviously record all the water usage in the property to reflect all the water consumption and be charged accordingly
It appears that whoever did the survey and installation for the meter got it wrong ,that would be the previous owners plumber or your local water company
At the public boundary of your property i.e where the public footpath joins your boundary there should be your local water company stop tap where when this stop tap is turned off all your water to your property goes off this is where the meter should have been fitted thus recording all your water usage
Your pipe work from the water company stop tap probably goes underground to your property but has an underground branch entering your property in two (possibly more) places known as points of entry,it sounds like the meter is fitted on one point of entry only thus recording only part of the water usage
The water company stop tap in the footpath may be the type that a meter may be fitted or can be excavated and a "boundary box" installed that can accommodate a meter , possible cost to you
Alternatively you can run new pipe work inside your property ensuring all the water consumption goes through the meter already installed, possibly not very easy or practical at your cost
You need to get your water company involved they will know who installed the meter you have incorrectly fitted , if it was them they will rectify I would have thought at their cost, if it was the previous owners it will become your problem at your cost
be aware that if you do get your local water company involved they then will be aware of the problem and pursue rectification regardless of who has to pay
I,m a little out of touch with latest meter installations but generally this is how it used to be
hope this helps

If you are a keen gardener and were billed for water on the garden ( it did not need drainage ) !
Swings and roundabouts .

Quick question, are you paying bills based on this meter or paying a standard water bill ? could be meter was fitted privately for some other reason !!

Thanks for the information all. When I contacted the water company (Wessex Water) to move home, they identified that there was a meter at the new property and are using this for the billing, I'd rather have this above board, just in case there's a check one day and they realise water's being used but not charged for. I'm going to try and work out whereabouts the water is entering from and what there it outside the property

IIRC they can only go back so far (12 months seems to ring a bell) as long as you notify them as soon as you become aware of the issue.

If they then don't fix it, it's on them.

TBH if they've fitted it / which they normally do it's there problem and you shouldn't get charged for the water not registered

It's down to the meter fitters to check they do it before any outlet the only time they will let this slide is if you have multiple incoming mains

There should be a stop tap / valve before the meter turn this off does all the cold outlets stop / drop in pressure then stop (upstairs)

Just one more question do you live in a multi occupancy building ?

If yes it's more than likely there are tanks on the roof fed from a different supply which the bath is connected to etc

TBH if they've fitted it / which they normally do it's there problem and you shouldn't get charged for the water not registered

It's down to the meter fitters to check they do it before any outlet the only time they will let this slide is if you have multiple incoming mains

There should be a stop tap / valve before the meter turn this off does all the cold outlets stop / drop in pressure then stop (upstairs)

Just one more question do you live in a multi occupancy building ?

If yes it's more than likely there are tanks on the roof fed from a different supply which the bath is connected to etc

There's a stop tap before the meter, yes, I've not checked to see how this will impact upstairs yet.
It's a semi-detached house so not multiple occupancy.

My partner has just had a bath and I've double checked the meter and no change, despite being able to hear the cold water tank filling up, so it's definitely not registering that usage.

Not sure how long the meter has been there, but it's entirely possible the previous owners never realised, it was only out of curiosity I noticed, that and I guess the bills would have been a fair bit lower compared to our last property which was also metered!

Reply to Water meter not measuring upstairs usage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock