Search the forum,

Discuss Water leak from Bluebird 50/70 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, noticed a small damp patch a few days ago under the boiler, now today its become a small puddle.

Don`t notice any leaks on the incoming pipe joints.

I see a 2006 sticker on the front, so do you reckon its on its way out??

Could very possibly be the boiler shell gone at a weld or bit of corrosion. Usually at one of the back corners of base of boiler.
Firstly have any auto vents, or pressure relief valve, etc, checked for leaks, or rain ingress from vertical flues.
It might be just bad luck, but I would check your system isn't corroding the boiler for some reason - no pumping over or absorbing air, if open system and that inhibitor was always in system.
Is it an HE (high efficiency condensing type), or standard efficiency? Also is it a basic heat only boiler, or system boiler (with pump, exp vessel) or the most complex - a combi boiler?
Why I ask that is the condensing boilers have more possible places for water to appear, including just the plastic condense trap and pipe, plus sometimes a faulty door seal can allow condense water leaks.
I assume you have a non condensing standard efficiency boiler. Unless you can have the boiler removed and blue casing taken of and shell welded, you will have to replace with a new condensing boiler with new flue installed to regs.
Personally I prefer Grant Vortex.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for that, its not a condenser, its the Warmflow Bluebird 50/70 made in Lisburn i think?
the wet patch on the floor is very rusty, maybe the boiler shell?
I notice the Housing Executive and possibly PowerNI are still doing grants, maybe this would be the way to go? As i`m now a pensioner thats possibly an option. I`m in Co. Down btw.
Also see quite a few listed on gumtree locally, converts from oil to gas apparently, from ÂŁ75 upwards.

Hi, thanks for that, its not a condenser, its the Warmflow Bluebird 50/70 made in Lisburn i think?
the wet patch on the floor is very rusty, maybe the boiler shell?
I notice the Housing Executive and possibly PowerNI are still doing grants, maybe this would be the way to go? As i`m now a pensioner thats possibly an option. I`m in Co. Down btw.
Also see quite a few listed on gumtree locally, converts from oil to gas apparently, from ÂŁ75 upwards.

Hi Tommie. There is a grant here in NI for up to ÂŁ1000 to change to condensing oil or gas boiler, but that is if boiler is 15 or more years old.
I am not sure about any other grants, but just beware of some claims of money off deals, as the price you need to worry about is the actual final cost to you.
Your boiler was made in Lisburn, but only condensing type now available in any brand I believe.
I prefer the design, efficiency and build quality of the Grant Vortex oil boilers

Last edited:
stick a second hand non condensing model in - you can pick them up for ÂŁ150 - ÂŁ200 - treat your system to a flush and add inhibitor - sweet

stick a second hand non condensing model in - you can pick them up for ÂŁ150 - ÂŁ200 - treat your system to a flush and add inhibitor - sweet

Some are free if you know of someone going to scrap one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water leak from Bluebird 50/70 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Noticed today that the ground looked damp around the outside of our Worcester Bosch Heatslave 25/32 External Boiler. Took the cover off and warm water is pooling in the base of the unit. Can't see an obvious leak and all the components are dry. I'm guessing it's the thermal store leaking. Is...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant ecoFit pure 830 which developed the f.22 fault, the pressure had dropped to 0.2 bar, i refilled the system and away it went, i noticed yesterday that there was water on the floor below the boiler and noticed that water was leaking from a small hole located behind the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Excuse the length but this seems like a complicated fix. I lived in a 1930s block of flats. Brick building with concrete slab floors. The waste stack is internal and bricked into corner of the bathroom. I noticed paint peeling and brown staining recently at the bottom near the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking to see if anyone can give some advice please. My Baxi boiler has been losing pressure and I am having to top it up approx. every 4 hours from 0-1.5 bar each time. This has been going on a week now. I have also started to notice small drips running down my condensate pipe...
Replies
Views
D
Hi - I have a Myson Velaire oil boiler which was installed in 1988. The boiler has been very reliable only needing a good service and rarely a replacement part. Today I noted water on the floor and it looks like the water jacket is leaking, can it be repaired ? I am aware most will say...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock