Discuss Water in Oil Tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jackplumb

What is the best way of removing 2" of water from an oil storage tank, without draining 500 litres of oil and cleaning the tank?

2m of 15mm copper pipe attached to a hose pipe and syphon into containers. Make sure you dispose of water correctly.

I tried that but couldn't suck hard enough, unless the copper was too close to bottom and I couldn't suck. I will try again, thanks for the reply.

I have found this to be quite a problem this year and the only practical way of getting it out is with a mechanical pump. I have made myself a rig using my oil transfer pump. Basically on the end of my suction hose I have about 2m of 22mm copper pipe with a 90 degree bend on the end. I connect my suction hose onto this with a jubilee clip and dangle the delivery hose into a 200l open topped barrel. What I then do is suck out and use the copper pipe like a vacuum cleaner, sucking the water from the bottom of the tank, moving the end of the copper pipe over the base of the tank. You will get a lot of oil with it so wait until the barrel contents settle out and you can pump the oil back into the tank and leave the water layer. Remember that the water is contaminated so you need to dispose of properly and charge the customer accordingly.

I find that the usual source of water ingress is from the filling point - over the years with the fuel companies constantly screwing and unscrewing their hoses on it, it tends to work loose allowing rainwater to get around the seal. I re-do them with silicone sealant.

Last edited:
those water hogs don't absorb all that much water though, the largest one only just over a litre

I tried that but couldn't suck hard enough, unless the copper was too close to bottom and I couldn't suck. I will try again, thanks for the reply.
It is the lift height from the oil to the top of the tank/hose that is the problem. It would be easy to start it syphoning if tank was full of oil. My tip with starting syphoning is to fill the hose with water first from outside tap. This way no risk of oil in your mouth! Do as SimonG said, use a couple metres copper on one end of hose into tank & get the other end as low as possible.
If you are trying to start syphoning by sucking the hose, it would be advisable to use a clear hose & fairly long also. That way you will see the oil flowing & not get any near your mouth.

Last edited:
I have found this to be quite a problem this year and the only practical way of getting it out is with a mechanical pump. I have made myself a rig using my oil transfer pump. ....
Will this not wreck your transfer pump eventually? I have one, but try to use it on clean oil if possible & just use the hose & copper pipe syphon method.

Water hogs are a waste of time for that amount of water.

No it won't wreck your pump as long as you don't leave it sat full of water after use.

No it won't wreck your pump as long as you don't leave it sat full of water after use.
Didnt know that. I have an electric pump which I have tried to keep pumping clean oil & hasn't had much use, but once it didn't start until a few taps. I have thought a drum of red diesel would be good to use the pump on, after it has been used draining a tank.

Many thanks, wish me luck.

I have just done a similar job today. I couldn't start it syphoning as little in tank so too high a lift to start it & too risky, so I just filled the hose (with 5ft copper with a bend on end) & let it flow. Was no problem. Had to flush oil pipe, oil burner & renew burner oil pump, nozzle, oil hose, plus new filter at tank.

Last edited:
I find that the usual source of water ingress is from the filling point - over the years with the fuel companies constantly screwing and unscrewing their hoses on it, it tends to work loose allowing rainwater to get around the seal. I re-do them with silicone sealant.
I find this a lot, a real pain. The washer around the fill point perishes and falls apart leaving a lovely 4mm gap under the filler point, rain pours through and collects in the bottom of the tank. As WHPES says, silicon the bugger. I check it on each service I attend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water in Oil Tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back