Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Water in clear hose pipe connected to boiler in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. deg

deg Member

Would have saved a lot of expense and hassle to run the condensate somewhere else as it's in the roofspace :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Right, then the ball can be moved out of the way up into a short dead leg of a Y junction when pump discharges and will return to make the nrv seal when the discharge pressure drops off, some use gravity others a spring.
    Back to inlet hose then, these condensate pumps work on a water level activation point with a icv to hold water back in the event that the pump fails (know most are wired to cut the boiler so skip that point).

3. rpm

Like into a rain gutter you mean ;)

4. rpm

Wow! Having come back to this with a clear head it seems the inlet pipe & the outlet pipe were getting mixed up with some people ;)

5. Trac

Trac Member

Many thanks for all of your help – this is useful – but im still confused, perhaps more so now.

Should this pipe be plastic?

Should it always contain some level of water?

Should it exit out at the roof? The boiler is in the loft?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

6. Trac

Trac Member

Is there always water left in?

The water is clear – if it’s waste why is the water so clean and clear?

7. rpm

I see few of these maybe 1 a year so others may disagree.
    Boiler should have a solid plastic pipe from it to a small pump and the clear pipe in your photo will come out of the pump (this is discharge side). This clear pipe will sometimes go up a wall a maximum of around 4.5m and eventually join the drains. This clear pipe should not go downwards and then go upwards again (important bit) and yes this pipe will have some water in it. Although it may look clear I wouldn`t drink it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Trac

Trac Member

This is really helpful so thank you very much for taking then time to answer my questions. It’s so clear I wouldn’t think it was discharge – as you mention this should join the drains – as far as I can see it all goes downwards and at no point does to turn and go upwards. Very very helpful and puts my mind a rest! Thanks you very much

9. Trac

Trac Member

...so are these plastic pipes not so common then? And why would they be used as oppose to another type of pipe of different material?

10. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Hi
    It's because th waste water ( condensate) from your boiler is very corrosive to metal.