Search the forum,

Discuss Water hammer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfgs

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I went to look at a job today and there is really bad water hammer in a flat when any hot or cold tap is opened or closed. Its a mains fed system, combi boiler. Its strange though as it will be really bad for 5 mins if using and water, then after that nothing. The guy said it happens randomly, sometimes its fine for a full day and others its bad all day. He also said it sometimes happens when no taps are opened, no washing machine is on and the toilet hasn't just been used.

Any ideas where to start? I'm thinking of replacing the stopcock to start with and then go round isolating taps etc one at a time?

I have fitted one before when trying to cure water hammer, it made it better but did not resolve the issue. I would rather find the cause and sort it if possible.

Could it be the random time it happen due To usage in the street from other neighbours affecting flow and pressure.

I think you are right to start with stop tap.
I'd check the pressure and possibly fit a regulator (if it's high)
Maybe a shock arrestor.

I think you are right to start with stop tap.
I'd check the pressure and possibly fit a regulator (if it's high)
Maybe a shock arrestor.

The pressure I don't think will be the sole cause. There are 4 flats in this building and all fitted out exactly the same and they aren't having the same problems. So I am thinking there must be a tap or valve at fault somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water hammer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock