Search the forum,

Discuss Water Hammer: new tap or arrestor valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Davebos

Hi there,

First time poster here.

A few weeks back, our kitchen mixer tap started leaking so I changed the washer...and since then we've had water hammer when using the kitchen hot tap (or the upstairs hot tap -sink or shower- causes water hammer noise in kitchen).

Fortunately, there is value for the hot water tap accessible just below the kitchen sink so we have been turning the valve on or off as needed so the noise is not too annoying.

That's obviously not a long term solution so I would like a permanent fix.

My question is, should I get a new tap (is this sure to fix the problem?) or should I have a plumber install an arrestor valve and stick with the existing tap?

The tap is a 'Lamona' one as it's a Howdens kitchen.

Many thanks -any help appreciated

Dave

Lamona are a poor quality manufacturer, OK for buy to let or similar and good for a few months. We fit them in refurbs, but in my own house I would only ever use Franke kitchen mixer taps with ceramic valves. You should have a non return valve fitted on the supply to prevent back flow. If you fit a new tap and still get hammer the problem is likely to be an air lock.

Check the washer you fitted isn't loose or come off.

If it wasn't like it before then it must be something you have done.

How did you turn the water off to change the washer, is it fully open ?

Hi,

thanks for responses. I've checked the washer and it's ok.

Have discovered too late that Lamona aren't that good.

Does anyone have experience of fitting an arrestor valve in this sort of situation? Is it likely to fix the problem?

Thanks,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water Hammer: new tap or arrestor valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock