Search the forum,

Discuss Water Hammer Despite Changing Pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

First of all I'll clarify that I am a homeowner and have very little plumbing knowledge, so some / all of my terminology will be very basic / wrong.

A few weeks ago my water pipes started 'clanging' when not in use, making the same sound of something shutting off as when I usually turn off one of the taps. It sounded like something filling up then locking to stop more water coming in (when I listened closely I could hear the water running then stopping as it clanged). My dad, who knows a fair bit about plumbing (but not in this instance) turned the stopcock up to nearly full, and that didn't work.

I then phoned my usual plumber who fitted my boiler, who said the issue is a water hammer and that I needed to turn the stopcock down, and that it could have been down to a change in water pressure in the area. I turned the stopcock down and it seemed to have solved it. But then it came back.

It now happens intermittently. It can be quiet for a bit, then happen a few times in 5 minutes, then regular intervals. It can also be louder at some times than others, and seems to be in different places depending on how much the stopcock is open. I've turned the stopcock down to about 1/3 of a full rotation at one point. Any lower and I'll lose flow in the taps. The only time it doesn't happen is when the water is off. I've drained the taps and started again and that didn't solve it either.

It's never done this before and I had a new boiler around 2 years ago. It even makes a noise when I come in from work and no one has used the water all day and the heating hasn't been on.

Any advice on how to solve this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Turning your stopcock down won't reduce pressure and often makes things worse! All you are doing is reducing flow and putting the washer closer to its seat, which can make a noise and hammering.
Have your stopcock checked and replaced if it needs done. Also get any ball valve or fill valves repaired or replaced. Any loose mains pipes need clipped.
A pressure reducing valve fitted to mains after stopcock might help.
What type of boiler and water system do you have?

Turning your stopcock down won't reduce pressure and often makes things worse! All you are doing is reducing flow and putting the washer closer to its seat, which can make a noise and hammering.
Have your stopcock checked and replaced if it needs done. Also get any ball valve or fill valves repaired or replaced. Any loose mains pipes need clipped.
A pressure reducing valve fitted to mains after stopcock might help.
What type of boiler and water system do you have?

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have a combi boiler. What do you mean by water system?

Is there anything I can do in the meantime that is the 'least worst option'? What do you mean about the washer being closer to it's seat?

Combi boiler will usually mean all your taps are mains high pressure.
Turning down the stopcock just turns the rubber tap washer inside it to closer to where it seals (the "seat"). As I said, that can actually cause noise in itself.
On the subject of stopcocks - the part the washer is on is called the jumper and this whole part can make a noise if not properly pinned in. A new stopcock would then be needed.
I would begin with checking any ballvalves on toilets. Just simply a worn seal washer can cause water hammer. Old style toilet ballvalves on mains pressure are better replaced with Fluidmaster Pro B valves to prevent noise and possible water hammer.
I would also replace any stopcock and tap washers, plus any worn ceramic tap works (1/4 turn taps).
The water pressure needs tested and if very high could be regulated with a pressure reducing valve - PRV.
There are shock arrestors that can be used, but best to find out first if any other fixes work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water Hammer Despite Changing Pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock