Search the forum,

Discuss Water from cold tap is delivered hot in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Wonder if you could help to diagnose my issue with a Worcester Bosch 28cdi in a ground floor flat which started delivering hot water when the cold water tap in the kitchen is opened - it's not just few seconds of hot water, the boiler fires and delivers hot water for the duration while the cold water tap is on, and turns off when the tap is closed. The bathroom cold water taps unaffected and runs cold. Hot water tap works as expected everywhere.

I think there was some work done on the communal water tank on the roof on the same time as this started, though I am unsure if either the kitchen or bathroom is indeed connected to it and if this really had any effect though it seemed to happen at the same time. I read on the forum about something similar, that the boiler can fire for a short time once the tap is either opened or closed, caused by a 'dead leg' in the pipework, but in my case it fires for the duration the tap is on and behaves like a hot water tap.

Does anyone know if it's the work to the water storage tank that caused this, or something else e.g. a problem with the boiler?

Thanks,
Nigel

You shouldn't be connected in any way to the storage cisterns in the loft if you have a combi.

Sounds very strange. So your cold tap on the kitchen sink is suddenly behaving as your hot tap would? Has anyone altered any pipe work under your sink or in your flat at all recently?

Does anyone know if it's the work to the water storage tank that caused this, or something else e.g. a problem with the boiler?

You have an unusual problem.

I suggest you start by asking the company responsible for the recent water tank work whether they think it's possible that their work was responsible. Use email so if they deny responsibility you have it in writing. Next get whoever services your boiler to come and check the boiler. If it's not a boiler problem you want a plumber, possibly with a thermal imaging camera, to figure out what's happening and fix it.

Is the water warm from this tap if so it could be a faulty tap allowing the hot to mix with the cold, I would say it's a faulty mixer tap only way to be sure is to feel pipes going to the tap when you turn on cold if the hot pipe gets hot then there is the proof that the tap is faulty and needs replacing

Hi KingDoey, Chuck and Gasmk1,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have a query out with the management company about what work they did (thanks Chuck), meanwhile I managed to get it functioning ok - sort of.

I played with the valves under the sink - one tap I am not sure about, the next affects the flow to both hot/cold kitchen taps, but the third seemed to control the amount of flow from the cold and hot tap before the boiler triggers. I found that fully open both hot and cold taps would not trigger the boiler even when opened to the max, and fully closed both hot and cold taps would trigger the boiler after with very little flow (and water would be very hot). In between there was a spot that took hours to find where the cold tap could be opened a normal amount and remain cold and where the hot tap would trigger after being opened just a little, while being hot enough. I didn't manage to find a perfect spot and if the cold water it opened to the max it triggers.

Thinking about what KingDoey said, it's likely I am not connected to the communal tank with my combi, so what may have happened is as part of the work on it, the company may have turned off the supply to the entire block (including my flat's supply) and turned it back, but at a slightly different flow/pressure than before, causing my strange 3rd tap to need adjustment.

Would be great to hear if this is standard plumbing, or if it sounds like something is still wrong!

Thanks again.

Regards,
Nigel

Would be great to hear if this is standard plumbing, or if it sounds like something is still wrong!

No, that's not how standard plumbing should work. Stop-cocks with a traditional 'crutch' handle should normally simply be opened fully and then closed about a quarter turn. If there is some reason to limit the flow then there'll be a second lock-shield valve, which requires a tool to adjust, in series with it.

Anyway, I think you need to get a reputable plumber, who'll need to be Gas Safe Registered, to investigate your boiler and how it's been installed. We could play twenty questions to try and figure out exactly what the problem is, but I think that the answer is still going to be 'call a plumber'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water from cold tap is delivered hot in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Combi boiler and, a few minutes ago I turned on the hot tap in the kitchen and the water was far from hot. In fact, it was decidedly lukewarm. I checked the boiler and the tap icon was lit up, showing it was delivering hot water to the taps and I could hear the boiler running and the...
Replies
Views
Hope someone can offer some help with this issue, I have a Baxi 105e works fine no real downside, serviced looked after regularly. Have an issue with hot water, open hot water taps runs cold and indicates on boiler 60degrees or pump or pressure problem. Leave it ten seconds open taps again low...
Replies
Views
Got intermittent hot water coming the from a combi boiler to kitchen mixer tap when it hits the T junction for the upstairs bath it's hot, but on the other of the T junction to the kitchen mixer tap it's stone cold, anyone any ideas ?
Replies
Views
I have a very strange issue with my BAXI 105e DHW. if i turn on the hot tap the pump starts and demand for DHW is shown, after a some seconds it will show an error, 60 degree, pump or flow. Well switch the tap off wait maybe fifteen seconds turn tap on and low and behold hot water. If after a...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock