Search the forum,

Discuss Water Fall wall mounted taps - are they all the same but rebranded? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am about to buy a wall mounted water fall basin tap, and a builder warned me to be careful as a lot of them are "very low quality" and he's had to replace quite a few. Not sure how correct he is, but I shopped around and saw many different sellers on amazon, ebay and various online shops selling a tap/mixer that look identical but at different prices (from £40 to over £100), different brands (Vellano Reve, Zenith Dunk, Desire etc) and different lengths of guarantee (5 years, Life guarantee, 10 years).

Do they vary in quality or are they all just rebranded versions of the same tap? Here are two of many "versions":

Vellamo Reve Wall Mounted Waterfall Bath Mixer
Waterfall Wall Mounted Modern Sink Chrome Lever Bath Filler Mixer Tap TB3203 | eBay

I'd be happy to pay extra if the more expensive ones actually have a better finish and are higher quality despite having exactly the same dimensions and design. I know that there are lots of bathtubs that have identical designs but differ hugely in quality in materials and finish.

Thanks for your advice!

Elsa x

Last edited:
Wouldn’t recommend buying anything like this from online. It is not unusual for different suppliers to sell the same tap but with a different brand, but they are not always the same tap. Sometimes they are made differently or have a different quality insert or cartridge. I would go with a Bristan Tap if you can find one that you like but that is just my preference.

I know about Bristan, but I specifically like this minimalist design and have not found any higher range brands with this design.

The pictures are on the two links I included in the first post. I saw Bristan Hampton not seen any wall mounted ones...

Here's a photo:
s-l1600.jpg

As you can see from the links (and there are loads more), there are different sellers selling what looks like the same tap under different brand names with different prices. Just wondering if they differ in quality/finish as the photos look pretty much the same...

Asnpreviously states mate. They may look the same on the outside but 9 times out of the 10 the ones online are cheap Chinese rip offs with poor quality internals

Yes so I'm hoping someone here knows which shop sells good quality water fall taps. Also as I'm sure you know, not all Chinese "rip-offs" are bad quality nowadays, that assumption was true 15 years ago but now they have both good and bad (and very bad) quality "rip-offs". I have a few friends in manufacturing and they all say some of the new factories there are more advanced than European factories.

Take your time and keep looking , I loathe fitting taps from manufacturers I have never heard of , have you tried Roca , grohe , nabis ( plumbcenter) deva , peglar ?

Grohe have something that your looking for

Fitted plenty of them in a hotel they are a absolute nightmare to keep clean leaving scale and watermarks in the spout, unless you are lucky enough to live in a soft water area or have a water softner i would say reconsider always buy branded taps so spares are available . cheers kop

Thanks. But as stated before I specifically want a water fall wall-mounted tap because I want the water to flow out and not down, and I like the minimalist design. I have not found any famous brand making such a tap. Happy to pay up to £350 for a new tap but not found any alternatives.

This is what I intended to buy:

Vellamo Reve Waterfall Wall Mounted Basin Mixer Tap

Never heard of the brand probably just rebranded cheap stuff but it does come with lifetime guarantee (whatever that means)....

Last edited:
Why bother asking for advise on here you have made your mind up buy them have them fitted and enjoy descaling and polishing them every week , it wont be long till they look tatty your choice thats me done now . kop

Maybe you haven't read my original question? I asked if anyone knows of high quality versions of this water fall design as there are so many different sellers selling this design, but so far the only suggestions have been different designs. Not sure why you feel the need to be so aggressive?!!

So far I have bought mostly branded items by Hansgrohe, Villeroy & Boch and Keuco. But they don't make the water fall design I'm after.

And I'll be installing a water softener/descaler too.

Last edited:
Not being aggresive Farrella thats not in my nature far from it but i have been doing this for a very vey long time have fitted dozens of these taps bath , basin ect they look nice to start with but unless you address the scale issue you will regret you decision sorry if you took my recommendations the wrong way i am sure my colleagues will be along soon to add their comments. Regards kop

Thanks for the suggestion, that is closer to the design I like (the basin version) :)

So why wouldn't the Crosswater Water Square suffer from scale issues compared to the cheaper one I linked before? The cheaper one's design does look better too (and I have no problem paying more, my sink unit is Villeroy & Boch and was sadly rather pricey... )

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, that is closer to the design I like (the basin version) :)

So why wouldn't the Crosswater Water Square suffer from scale issues compared to the cheaper one I linked before? The cheaper one's design does look better too (and I have no problem paying more, my sink unit is Villeroy & Boch... )
It will suffer from scale.

I see, so the more expensive water fall tap has the same scale problem as the cheaper one.

But a water softener/descaler would solve the issue, right?

He means chrome helps reduce but brass or gold plate are worse,I think

If I may, a bit of enlightenment as I have an unhealthy interest in taps... :eek:

Fact is there are just a TINY number of 'manufacturers' who DO NOT import from China. LeFroy Brookes are one. However, even those made here such as Perrin & Rowe (actually cast in Essex I believe), can/will/do use chinese cartridges because European cartridges are 4-6 times the price. Bristan taps are made in China, Pegler taps are made in China, Hudson Reed taps are made in China. I could go on & on.

The issue of 'quality' used to be of the quality of brass and finish. Today however, it's about how much ZINC or plastic is used in the taps INSTEAD of brass. Brass does not wear out in normal use. Chrome plating on brass wears out (wears away) but rarely peels off. Chrome plated brass doesn't 'pit' normally. When you see pitting you will feel that the weight of the tap seems quite low too. This is cos the thing you have in your hand is zinc not brass. Exposed to water continually (oh - like in a tap...?) it literally eventually turns to dust which is why when you pull the shroud off a tap that's leaked past the spindle o-rings its just a mush and so scrap (worthless as that too).

Making a tap body out of it means its life is 12 months IF YOU ARE LUCKY but you'll buy it for pennies.

Best advice I can offer the OP is to call the 'manufacturer' :D:D:D (what a joke that is) and ask which parts are made of brass.

I'll leave you with one more thing. 'Manufacturers' are allowed to say stuff is Made In England if a "significant aspect of their 'manufacture'" is carried out in country. That means if they repack 'em here there are 'officially' Made in Britain. Ask Ideal Standard too. :mad::mad::mad:

Have fun ;)

Heres one i changed today lasted 4years and would not fully shut off unbranded (Victoria plumb )and grubby looking . kop

20180131_091743.jpg

Notice it looks pitted on spout if it is its mainly Zinc.

'Manus' not daft... The warranty is offered cos they know most folk will simply change 'em or will have lost their proof of purchase. The margin is so high they can afford to change a few and not dent profits.

It's called Neo Libralism...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water Fall wall mounted taps - are they all the same but rebranded? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock