Search the forum,

Discuss Water Dripping frpm Flue-Update in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update really.
I posted about the problems that my son was having with his boiler back in early December 2017.
After eight visits from British Gas who he has a contract with, the problem has been found! The boiler gave various fault codes and then was leaking water from the bottom of the casing. The main board was changed among other things and then condense system was thought to be at fault. Boiler would run for a time, sometime for a few days but then stop again. Because the engineer appointment times were usually several days from the fault report I suppose the evidence had all dried out.

Latest visit has found a faulty seal in the flue which has a dog leg in the roof space. This was allowing combustion gas to leak into the outer part of the flue and causing condensation which then ran down the flu into the boiler.

Boiler is a Saunier Duval about 12 years old and BG say that no parts are available to fix the flue. Boiler can not be used and gas has been capped off at the boiler.
So after more than two months of problems my son has no heating for the coldest week to come!
A new boiler will have to be installed ASAP!

Having read the replies to my original post,the reply from Spondik detailed something similar.
Rather surprised that the flue failed in just under 12 years and very disappointed that no parts are available.

Anyone had similar experience?

Time to upgrade that awful boiler, must be a 2002 model? The reason I call it awful is they constantly leak from hydroblock, the pcbs fail when you switch the power off,must cost a fortune to run and the flue seals will perish after a while, when Iā€™ve done training at Vaillant who own them. They said they were built to last between 6&10 years max. Get your wallet out and by something better!!!

Time to upgrade that awful boiler, must be a 2002 model? The reason I call it awful is they constantly leak from hydroblock, the pcbs fail when you switch the power off,must cost a fortune to run and the flue seals will perish after a while, when Iā€™ve done training at Vaillant who own them. They said they were built to last between 6&10 years max. Get your wallet out and by something better!!!
Well fortunately as I said in my post, it is in my sons house, built about 12 years ago. The boiler would have been installed by the builder/developer of the site so no surprise there!
Yes, no option but to replace now. He is looking at Worcester Bosch.
He is also looking at his electricity meter spinning at great speed in this weather!!!

Good choice in my opinion Worcester are good for honouring the warranty later down the line, others brands are good as others will say on here, good luck and get rid of that old boiler!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water Dripping frpm Flue-Update in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
H
I need some help and advice with a boiler issue. We have F29 and then F29 appearing on our new boiler. This happened after few days where water was dripping from the condensation pipe. Our regular gas engineer(who installed the boiler) was not available and will be in a couple of days. The...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has been intermittently dripping from the hot tap, and the cold tap is squeaking when you turn it. Possibly two different issues, possibly related? The...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Morning, I need to replace my flue as it has suffered some damage from a over enthusiastic digger driver with a rogue bucket šŸ˜” I am a relatively competent diy'er, so thought this would be a doddle... I have a condensing oil boiler with a horizontal flue at 80/125mm. First port of call was...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all - hoping someone knowledgeable can help as I'm super confused by this.... I have a standard system / gravity fed boiler, large cold tank in attic, hot water tank in airing cupboard etc. I recently found that the hot water coupling into my shower pump (salamander) had sheared (the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock