Search the forum,

Discuss Water constantly heating up whenever central heating is on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jwelch

Hi,

i have a very old boiler system that is currently playing up. Initially the central heating would periodically not come on even though it was set to on the main control. Leaving for an hr or so then retrying it would normally bring it on. Typically when the engineer came out to it, it worked fine every time he tried it. When I explained the issue the only thing he could think it would be is a valve sometimes not switching across from hot water to central heating (the hot would always work if the central heating didn't).

More recently the hot water will heat up whenever the heating is switched on, even though the hot water is set to off. I have been wondering if it is the valve that is faulty and is now stuck open on both hot water and heating. I've tried switching between hot water and heating to see if I can reset something but no luck. Tried switching between, timed/once only and off for the hot water and is now set to off but still the water is heating up whenever the heating is on.

My main question is, could this be dangerous if the water is heating all the time? (for up to 6 hours non stop on an evening) I can keep running the hot water off so it's not too hot but this is a pain and a real waste. I will call the engineer out to it again but want to make sure I am ok to leave the hot water on in the mean time.

All help appreciated
James

Your valve is stuck in mid position. If output on boiler is controlled by knob 1 - 5 set knob at 2.
If you have a roomstat, set at 20 C and open rad valves to maximum. Your boiler should now cycle on and off without unduly overheating DHW cylinder.
An alternative is to remove head of 3 port valve and move spindle by hand. This involves live electrics and unless confident the 1st method is best until plumber can fix valve.

Thank you loads for the reply. The only knob I can see on the boiler is the boiler temp knob (1-3) this is currently set at 1.5

I do have the thermostat at 20 with the rad valves at maximum. The boiler has always 'thumped' on and off if this is what you mean?

Being cold is also dangerous if there are young children or elderly in the home. If turning knob down to 1 gives sufficient heat do so, but don't be cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water constantly heating up whenever central heating is on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
R
Hello its my 1st post hope im in the right place We brought a new house a medium-large 3 bedroom semi, we moved in the summer. Now coming to winter we started putting the central heating on. The central heating has a mind of its on it’s really strange iv never experienced this We put the heating...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter valves (all about 10 years old). We also use a Hive thermostat.

When I boost the hot water with Hive, the receiver near the boiler shows it's...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock