Search the forum,

Discuss water coming out of overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dinkyyy

hi. Water has been coming out of my overflow pipe for months. This happens when I've not run the hot water for 4 or 5 hours. I had my ball valve replaced but water was still coming out. I was told by the plumber that it's a hole in the coil in the hot water tank and the copper tank needs replacing. But I also read that it could be caused by the mixer tap in my bathroom sink (hot and cold coming from one tap) this has been dripping for 6 month. what is the likely cause and if the copper hot water tank needs replacing. What's the usual price of having the work done in doncaster. (tank is about 42 inches tall and 18inch across

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn off the water isolating valves to the basin mixer and see what happens?

I've actually stopped the dripping by tying some string over the tap. If it stops water dripping out of the overflow does that mean the tap is the cause? images of tap and pipes underneath

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

I've actually stopped the dripping by tying some string over the tap. If it stops water dripping out of the overflow does that mean the tap is the cause? images of tap and pipes underneath

]

It could still be doing it inside the tap as all you have done is stop a drip, re the iso valves, trace the pipes back as far as you can.

I've had a look all round and I don't think is any isolation valves. Unless it's within the tap casing itself

If fitted correct there should be a non return valve under the tap , but not always the case ,
It really depends on the hieght of your heating FnE tank or is your heating pressurised in which case youd constantly be topping up if it was the coil ,
If your FnE tank base is the same hieght as the cold tank then it wont be the coil as the overflow connection is higher than the highest water level in the little tank,
Do you have any mixer showers ?

No I don't have any mixer showers, I'm not clued up on the terms and names so don't know what a FnE tank is, since tying the tap to stop it drippin. The dripping has stopped from the overflow (ran the hot tap till it started filling up the tank 7 hours ago and it usually starto dripping after 5 hours. So it seems that's fixed it. Does that confirm it's not the coil in the tank? I certainly don't want to spend 500 quid when changing the tap fitting (for about ÂŁ100?) will resolve the problem

Someone will really need to see this one. It certainly points to the tap but if you're not confident to change it you will need a professional anyway. How old is the hot water cylinder??

Yeh its defo your tap and an easy fix , the hardest bit is ordering the proper insert cartridge for your mixer tap, but its a cheap fix so you wont need a tank lol,

Its something like this u need
upload_2017-4-9_22-49-9.jpeg

ah. That's great. A big relief I couldn't afford 4 or 5 hundred quid. I'm curious. Hiw can a dripping tap cause the water to gradually rise in the tank and overflow

Depending on what's gone wrong inside the tap you could have a situation where the cartridge is passing water out of the spout and also passing some mains pressure cold water back up the tank fed hot water supply and into the cylinder then back up into the loft tank. Basically the mains pressure pushes the tank fed hot water back up into the loft tank, filling it up and making it overflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to water coming out of overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone. New to the forum and looking for assistance / advice. I live in a rented house with a not very co-operative landlord. I have just discovered that my bath overflow drain pipe is not connected as the flexible drain tube looks like it has been cut off at some point. After studying...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just recently noticed the overflow has started pouring water out, there are three tanks in the loft and I'm quite sure this is from the heating. We have two boilers, one for water and one for the heating, it's an 8 bed Victorian house (bed and breakfast) I went into the loft to see what...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock