Search the forum,

Discuss Watching the dash to electricity from renewables in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Rob Foster

Esteemed
I am begining to think that I will see the end of gas boiler installation in my life time just as stinkpots are finished in a few years time - what do others think ?

I think you need to redo that tightness test, what do you think the alternative will be...super efficient homes with energy recovery that run on body heat?

you may laugh but i once saw a candle being used to heat a room (more of a test / proof on the new insulation )

no, super efficient homes that run on electric as from cant remember the year but all new builds will not have gas supplies. so will be either renewables or electric. it will come eventually

If they can find a way to capture the co2 and not let it vent to atmosphere then maybe it can last longer, but how much natural gas is really left and what is a good alternative? Hydrogen? Power stations run on gas would also need to capture all the co2. They are talking 2025 getting rid of coal ones, 2035 for gas powered ones. It does look a little like it will end for NG. Even if it does go Electric and renewables, still needs installed and looked after. Probably most will have to invest in new qualifications for renewables. It may be a time of opportunity not the grim end we might think.

you may laugh but i once saw a candle being used to heat a room (more of a test / proof on the new insulation )

I remember seing super insulated airtight homes over a decade ago Shaun and yes they basically run on body heat. What I kid at is this or any other future government wanting to do anything about it considering the quality of new builds that are barely fit for purpose.

I remember seing super insulated airtight homes over a decade ago Shaun and yes they basically run on body heat. What I kid at is this or any other future government wanting to do anything about it considering the quality of new builds that are barely fit for purpose.

Agree the standards have slipped too far

If and when the UK exit Europe don't expect anything to happen too soon or with any planning or foresight, after all it was the UK's adherence to European boiler efficiency standards that has dragged us kicking and screaming to where we are now. Tory governments also tend to be reactive rather than proactive so expect who writes the biggest cheque to have the biggest influence, I seriously doubt that is going to be the environmentalists.

If and when the UK exit Europe don't expect anything to happen too soon or with any planning or foresight, after all it was the UK's adherence to European boiler efficiency standards that has dragged us kicking and screaming to where we are now. Tory governments also tend to be reactive rather than proactive so expect who writes the biggest cheque to have the biggest influence, I seriously doubt that is going to be the environmentalists.
John Prescott drove the dash to condensing boilers cause Ideal was in hull and he wanted votes - ill considered rubbish that they are

Prescott didn't need votes in Hull...G&T my good man.

I accept his initiative greatly helped the push but there had been EU directives prior to that, after all they'd been using condensing boilers in Europe for years prior to around 2005 without much fuss. Get a bit of cold and every combi breaks down due to the poorly designed install, lucky us eh?

If they can find a way to capture the co2 and not let it vent to atmosphere then maybe it can last longer, but how much natural gas is really left and what is a good alternative? Hydrogen? Power stations run on gas would also need to capture all the co2. They are talking 2025 getting rid of coal ones, 2035 for gas powered ones. It does look a little like it will end for NG. Even if it does go Electric and renewables, still needs installed and looked after. Probably most will have to invest in new qualifications for renewables. It may be a time of opportunity not the grim end we might think.
That is where I was thinking - what to train the youngsters in for a bright future The other big one is what use the redundant gas supply network can be put to esp the last mile or so to domestic properties - I know one consultant who is lookin at this alreadynobody will want a house on old fashioned expensive polluting gas soon

I can't think of anything worse than living in a air tight box the environment is awful inside worked in loads of these, give me a house that can breath any day , i am starting to fit wet system electric boilers in certain properties off grid but it has to be the right construction and usually smaller properties , the boilers are between 9 -15kw max no need to oversize, I expect to see a gradual phase out of gas but can't see it within the next 20years so time will tell I guess. Kop

The heat pump is already a lot bigger than most people are aware of and has grown massively in the past ten years and continues to do so year on year

Agreed mate normally being pushed by social housing schemes and often get it wrong soon as the depths of winter hit then it all falls down fitted a few not convinced it's the future. Kop

I can't think of anything worse than living in a air tight box the environment is awful inside worked in loads of these, give me a house that can breath any day , i am starting to fit wet system electric boilers in certain properties off grid but it has to be the right construction and usually smaller properties , the boilers are between 9 -15kw max no need to oversize, I expect to see a gradual phase out of gas but can't see it within the next 20years so time will tell I guess. Kop

its not supposed to be an airtight box as such its supposed to reuse the warm stale air to warm the fresh air being brought in by a whole house vent system. but w eall know developers wont stump up for this

Can't wait for air lock doors on houses in the future.
Walk in the front door only to be greeted by another door - that won't open until the first door is locked and air tight.

Don't worry, we will still pay the same amount in energy bills.
The less we use the more expensive it will become.

Then we have the countries that don't / won't comply.
Go to Bejing and on a still day, breathe about as much pollutants as you would get by smoking 50 cigarettes a day.

I could go on but I won't

Cheers

Agreed mate normally being pushed by social housing schemes and often get it wrong soon as the depths of winter hit then it all falls down fitted a few not convinced it's the future. Kop
We've done 100s and had only a couple biggish problems but then we do a proper job which obviously commands a proper price. None of my work is in social housing. Retrofit is not for every property where gas is which is why its the most cost effective (not the most efficient) solution

once the energy storage issue over renewable energy production is properly sorted then thats if for oil and gas remember that the stone age didnt end cause they ran out of stones

Reply to Watching the dash to electricity from renewables in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock