Search the forum,

Discuss Washing machine / kitchen sink onion smell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Would be so grateful for any advice offered.
I have an onion-like smell coming from the washing machine and the kitchen sink. The smell doesn't seem to be coming from inside the drum just around the machine.
When I run a 90 degree wash and put drain cleaner down the sink the smell goes for about a day but then is back again and actually seems worse than before I started trying to sort the problem out (I've run about ten 90 degree washes with different types of washing machine cleaner - Dr Bekman, dettol, bleach etc).
Could it be from the pipes further down maybe?
A massive thank you to anyone who replies x

Very probably is the waste pipes.

How are your washing machine and sink connected to the waste pipework? A picture or sketch could be handy...

Thank you so much for your reply ric2013.
I've attached a picture, hope you can see it and that it shows the right bits
Thank you again! :)

_20171015_162059.JPG

Hi,
I have an onion-like smell coming from the washing machine and the kitchen sink. The smell doesn't seem to be coming from inside the drum just around the machine.
When I run a 90 degree wash and put drain cleaner down the sink the smell goes for about a day but then is back again and actually seems worse than before I started trying to sort the problem out (I've run about ten 90 degree washes with different types of washing machine cleaner - Dr Bekman, dettol, bleach etc).
A massive thank you to anyone who replies x[/QUOTE
Hi,
A massive thank you to anyone who replies x
Is the waste pipe going outside to a gulley.
Sounds like the outlet is submerged in water and not clearing away all of the contents from the washing machine/ sink.
Check the outlet and see if you have a build up of debris there..
If so clear up
As the leaves are falling off the trees now cause these outside blockages.

Thank you ever so much for your reply spanner, I really have no Idea about the wastepipe (I'm in a flat on the 3Rd floor of that makes any difference) but it sounds like I definitely need a plumber. At least now I can give him an idea of what the the problem might be when I call. Thank you so much again

No worries.. thanks.
As you're in a block you more than likely share or join tandem and are on the same stack with a neighbour.

Oh OK this sounds complicated, ( you can tell I have no idea about any of this can't you!) Thanks so much again for all your help and taking the time to reply :)

From what I can see, it looks reasonably okay.

Only thing I can suggest are the following: clean out the trap (the u bend) under the sink. This could be a DIY job...

From what I can see, it looks reasonably okay.

Only thing I can suggest are the following: clean out the trap (the u bend) under the sink. This could be a DIY job...
Thanks so much, never done this before so will give it a go. Thanks again for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Washing machine / kitchen sink onion smell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock