Discuss Warmflow oil boiler tripping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rozie

Hi we have a Warmflow Kabin Pak Combi 70/90 and the High Limit thermostat is tripping at the first firing and then several times through the day when the hot water is selected. Offtec engineer seems unsure why, any suggestions please.

The central heating seems okay.

All the googling I have been doing I feel as though I could soon be an expert :teeth_smile:

Hard to tell without looking. Could be several things, just got to use a process of elimination. My first things to check would be the control thermostat and then the high limit thermostat. Try putting new ones in and see of the problem solves itself

Thanks for your reply we wondered about replacing the high limit thermostat. The boiler is doing strange things today as well, now the hot water is warming up even though we have turned it off on the timer. It is warming up when just the central heating is on. At least we have heat and water.

Ah that's one of the things we hadn't considered I will get my trusty and well thumbed manual out and have a look. Don't worry we will not be attempting to fix ourselves but we want to have a list of questions when next we meet up with our busy plumber who is floundering, oil boilers do seem to pose more problems than gas, I wish we had stuck to our back boiler on the woodburner it was less complicated we thought with an oil boiler we would always have heat and water when we were too old to saw up wood.

You may be best to ask another engineer if your first guy doesn't know.

I take it he's already asked Warmflow tech support for help? Sometimes its the easiest way to fix a problem.

Thanks wipes I actually rang Warmflow and a very nice chap from Northern Ireland rang me back and suggested magnetite in the system said it could be clogged up our plumber has flushed out the system and put cleaner in as it is quite a while since this has had inhibitor in and we have had radiators on and off for decorating ect so Warmflow suggested inhibitor has probably become diluted. He suggested a power flush but seems extremely expensive our plumber is trying manual clean first to try and save us some money. As it is only a possible solution we are still trying to find other possible causes.

Wouldn't pay too much attention to that. Unless there is evidence of heavy soiling in the system you don't need a powerflush - sounds like they have run out of ideas. I would bet money that magnetite wouldn't have anything to do with a high limit stat tripping out.

Mmmmm thanks Wipes pretty much what our plumber said that's why I think he went the cheapest route, I think we will go with process of elimination and go for cheapest part first so HL thermostat it will probably be. The HL reset button has been pressed numerous times and in my research it does say repeated resetting renders the HL thermostat useless anyway.

Cheers

First of all I think you will need a proper engineer,There is a hot water tank stat on this one which would probably be the one that is a t fault because if it was a faulty hl stat it would trip on ch as well, the hot water store does not get as hot as the central heating water. Next warmflow use a two pump system, if you are getting hot water when the heating only is on it would probably be one of the check valves in the pump port that has gone, they are only plastic.I suspect your engineer may be lost on this one, I would advise getting warmflow to give you a name of a local guy who knows their boilers and is trained up on them, a really good engineer should be able to sort it out.

Hi kimbo thanks very much for your reply I did ask Warmflow if they would give me the name of someone familiar with Warmflow boilers and they said they couldn't as they run the risk of being sued should they recommend someone and it all goes wrong:rolleyes4: Our current plumber has been liaising with another plumber and they are both determined to get to the bottom of it. He is coming today to see us, we have worked out the sequence of events We turned all the controls of last night, then this morning we turned on just the water control the boiler (it is outside btw) fired up no bother there it then reached temperature and turned of, the HL was not lit so presume it hadn't tripped at this point, we then turned on the shower hot water came out and then on checking the boiler the HL had tripped. We pressed the reset button and it all worked okay with out tripping. We have now turned off the water and turned on the CH the boiler has fired up and the heating was working normally but it has just tripped again so it is also tripping on the CH, oh dear I think I will try the old proven method of giving it a good kick:83:

If the boiler is not overheating I would suggest a faulty hot water stat

Last edited:
Hi we have been waiting for our busy plumber to get back to us but we have been running our boiler for 2 weeks now on just the central heating and it is working fine lots of hot water (although not enough to fill a bath so sticking with showers) all the radiators are nice and warm, it is a pain not being able to put just the hot water on though, so Friday I turned off the central heating and put the hot water only back on, the boiler fired up but withing 5 mins the burner had stopped firing, the HL light was not lit but nothing was working, I turned off the hot water and tried to turn on the central heating but nothing was working at all, I decided to do some ironing and try again in 30 mins (I figured it had maybe overheated and needed to cool down) I then turned on the hot water switch and checked the light panel and the HL was finally lit so I reset the HL then ran inside and turned off the hot water and put just the central heating on again and it has worked fine since, so it is definitely a problem with the domestic hot water. Any ideas please ? Our plumber is calling later today I think.

If you can't get your plumber, get an electrician as its an electrical fault.

Hi,

Im wondering if you got this sorted, as I'm having exactly the same problem. It was working perfectly until I got the thing serviced and now it trips after I put the hot water on, every time (sometimes even without putting the hot water on).

The heating is still working fine and the engineer guy seems at a loss. They are suggesting flushing the system (warmflow themselves suggested a blockage)

Could it be a chip in the control panel in the boiler?

Thanks

Craig

Hi Craig no still not sorted but decided as we have hot water and heating we are letting sleeping dogs lie until after Christmas, we have turned off the hot water and letting the water heat with the central heating. Warmflow also suggested to us it was a blockage but we have had the system flushed to no avail, I agree we probably have a faulty stat will let you know when problem solved. Thank you so much to everyone who has been kind enough to reply.

Yay result after months and 3 plumbers we have hot water and central heating (fingers crossed) it was the flexible hoses, our plumber rang Warmflow who told him it would be the hoses but he was sceptical until I told him my friends:17: on the plumbing forum said the same thing so he took them off and poked some pipe down them and big lumps of rust came out he then flushed them out with water and all gunge came out, he then re fitted them and everything is working, I am not sure if it will stay working as some of you have said the inside of the hose breaks down so I do wonder if we will have to have them replaced but at the moment it is working. I will copy and paste this to the original thread I started and also onto the thread I joined in on so apologies to anyone who reads this twice, also many many thanks for those of you lovely plumbers who took the time to reply and advise.

Hi,

I've been meaning to let you know what the outcome was..............

They eventually found that it was one of our flexible hoses too. It was totally blocked and now that they the heating / hot water works better than it ever did!!

Many Thanks

Craig

This is a common problem with these I would get a set sent out to you because they will cause a problem again. Next time I would get them changed rather than just cleaned out, I am pleased to see you have it sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks kimbo I told the plumber the pipes had probably broken down inside but I suppose he thought flushing then out would tide us over and get the boiler working again maybe he can get replacements quite quickly.

Hi there. I also have a similar problem with a twin pumped warmflow boiler (brand new) when just the hot water is on it seems to be heading up out radiators also. Seems like the return pipe is getting got water pumped through it.. from reading the last few comments, could this be a non return valve in the pump problem? Thanks

Hi Perry our problem was over four years ago and just flushing out the flexible pipes did actually solve the problem for us. See #19 above. Your problem may be different, we rang the help team at warmflow company themselves who were really helpful so it may be worth emailing or contacting their after sales people especially if it is brand new. Hope you solve your problem, our boiler is still going strong but think we may be on borrowed time as it is now 12 years old.
Best wishes hope you get an answer.

Hi there. I also have a similar problem with a twin pumped warmflow boiler (brand new) when just the hot water is on it seems to be heading up out radiators also. Seems like the return pipe is getting got water pumped through it.. from reading the last few comments, could this be a non return valve in the pump problem? Thanks

Please register with the forum and post a new topic also get the person who fitted the boiler back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Warmflow oil boiler tripping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back