Search the forum,

Discuss Want to use domestic hot water whilst central heating pipes are capped. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crofter

Hi,

I have a Grant Combi 90 Outdoor oil fired boiler, installed in 2004. I don't know if it's a Mk2 or a V3 or if it matters in the context of my question below.

I'm rebuilding/renovating an old house, and am about to start running new pipes for the radiators. I work 9-5, so this will be done during evenings and weekends and will take a couple of weeks.

If I cap off the flow and return pipes for the central heating just after they enter the building through the wall whilst I do the above work, can I still safely use the boiler to provide domestic hot water?

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

i would say no

Thanks for your reply.

Why would you say no?

as theres no water in the boiler (heating side) and theres no flow be like a kettle

I see what you're saying.

What if I cut the flow and return pipes as suggested, and instead of capping them off seperately I connected them together?

Could I then fill the boiler via the feed loop and use the domestic hot water whilst leaving the central heating turned off?

Thanks.

If there was enough pipework to dump the heat it will work, maybe attach a small temporary radiator

I see what you're saying.

What if I cut the flow and return pipes as suggested, and instead of capping them off seperately I connected them together?

Could I then fill the boiler via the feed loop and use the domestic hot water whilst leaving the central heating turned off?

Thanks.

dont know as i dont work on oil boilers but some (gas) ones require a min rad size the oilly lads should comment soon

Ok. I could easily plumb in a small radiator if needed somewhere out of the way - thanks Gasman.

I'll wait for the oil guys to chime in like you say, and see if there are any other ideas too.

Thanks

I can't see it being much different having the boiler not piped to the rads circuit.
Less water, less to need to expand.
You could just disable the heating side.
But I have never considered it before, nor had the need to do that.

Last edited:
Quick update....

I've just spoken to Grant who make the boiler, and they've said that it's fine to cap the flow and return for the ch and carry on using dhw. They've also said there's no need to tie the flow and return pipes together or add in a radiator as a heat sink.

So all's well!

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Want to use domestic hot water whilst central heating pipes are capped. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
I had my indirect hot water cylinder removed a few days ago and the central heating boiler and pump is turned off at the fuse spur right next to the boiler. I have been without hot water for a few days which is fine - The plumber left the flow / return to the cylinder uncapped as well as the...
Replies
Views
Our house was built in 2007 and we are the second family to live here - moving in in 2017. The central heating has been working fine - although the gas boiler is perhaps nearing the end of its life. But the boiler is not our current issue. Last winter two of the radiators did not heat up and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock