Search the forum,

Discuss Vokera Boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leeds

Are Vokera boilers any good??

Reason why I ask is that we have 7 vokera boilers fitted in various properties.

One needed a new mother board within 6 months
One developed a code 40 fault at just gone 2 years. That cost £182.50 to fix and Vokera only guarantee their workmanship for 30 days!
Another Vokera boiler has no heating or hot water 18 months old.
Fourth Vokera boiler is dripping water over our electrical fuse board after 5 months. Pan in place now. Believe that is due to a frozen condensing overflow tube. Must admit that is a brilliant bit of design.

So problems with 4 out of 7 boilers fitted. Am not impressed. Vokera call centre is not very helpful. Staff there more interested in selling extended warranties, deny being a Vokera company, hung up on customers. Takes 2-3 hours to get through. Stayed in all day for a Vokera rep to turn up, guess what no show!

Is this sort of failure rate typical of Vokera boilers?

What other manufacturers would the forum recommend?

Regard

Leeds

Think u hav answered your own question!
if ur unlucky and get say a pcb fault and a fan chances are with the cost of spares it will be beyond economical repair!

frozen condense is due to bad design but not of the boiler its the design of your condensate pipework thats at fault
vaillant or rehema/broag if its quality you want

Plastic condense pipe (3/4" 20mm?)comes out of wall at first floor level and goes vertically downwards for about 3m to about 450 mm above ground level where it terminates in open end with icicle hanging out.

That still leaves 3 out of 6 boilers which have gone down in my mind prematurely. Is this typical of Vokera boilers?

Plastic condense pipe (3/4" 20mm?)comes out of wall at first floor level and goes vertically downwards for about 3m to about 450 mm above ground level where it terminates in open end with icicle hanging out.

Lag and terminate it below leaf level.

Change your installer.

Vokeras good value for money.

Want better from installer and boiler? pay more.

sadly, as with anything you do get what you pay for. in my house is a remeha, in my rental property - i have a vokera installed in a weekend 6 months ago, by a friend in an emergency, luckily no probs so far but wish i'd known about the problem beforehand (was on holiday - didnt wish to be disturbed) "thought he was doing me a favor" which he did. but if a problem starts with it. it's in the bin.

Ive fitted a few Vokera's (customers choice not mine) and I am not overally impressed with build quality.

One was dead from the box and had to have a visit from vokera technical leaving a couple with no heating/hot water for a weekend. For that reason alone I will stay away from them if possible.

They are also a pig to fit!

Condesate pipework freezing is the installer's problem not the boiler. 1 1/4" pipe outside or insulated. It will state that in the manufacturers instructions. Remove the flexi pipe from the boiler and put a bucket under it until fixed. I am not a fan of these boilers either but loads of blokes fit them and charge the same as me and I fit Vaillant.

Lag and terminate it below leaf level.

Change your installer.

Vokeras good value for money.

Want better from installer and boiler? pay more.

Leaf level???

At £200/day in Yorkshire I would say that the plumber is on a good wage. Joiner is on £120, plasterer £150-180, sparky £200.

Choice of boiler was plumbers not mine. How much is a Valliant etc compared with Vokera 28HE?

The question arises about "Who is checking quality?"

In the US the customers are king, simply because they will not put up with bad service or goods. On mass they simply don't buy it if it doesn't work properly.

Over here manufacturers or shops seem to try to sell all kinds of shoddy stuff at high prices.

It seems to have moved from being a market in which sellers say to themselves "What did I pay for it and what is a reasonable price to sell it at!" to "How much can I get for this or that!"

Being fair even some of the prices quoted for labour on this site are ridiculous. What if everybody adopted the "Get as much as you can!" attitude?
In a Northern European country like the UK, gas and energy running costs are high enough already, without the repair man joining in.

Would we pay £20 odd pound a litre for fuel?

Would we pay £10 for a loaf?

Would we indeed pay £5 for a 15mm compression coupler?

The thing is, the customer has to get the money to pay the high prices asked from somewhere, so they ask more for their goods and services. And then the original seller asks more because their running costs have gone up, and on and on it goes. In the end you finish up paying huge prices for poor quality and poor service. We seem to be at that point now.

In the old days the question of boiler quality would probably not have arose, a GlowWorm or Baxi was good. Potterton where high quality?

Where are they now?

The German companies are taking over. But I worked on a site servicing and repairing about 30 - 40 Valliant's and was told that within 5 years they had spent as much repairing them as buying and installing them. So even the good makes don't necessarily mean good quality.

That is what happens in markets, without some kind of control.

I have a brand new cooker, whose glass cover plate hinge fell apart. On examination it had disintegrated, not fallen apart, within about 6 months.

I have had washing machines scrapped in 2 years and even the one I have now, which had loads of good reviews, has had the repair people out to it twice before the guarantee has run out. And they have only had low use.

Its a case of needing a strong consumer council who can help decide quality and fair prices.

The danger to the gas fitting industry, is that the government may simply do away with GasSafe and ACS and make it onerous on the installer to do it correctly. That would open the market right up to competition.

The thing is, they would probably bring in huge fines and prison sentences if you got it wrong.

As an alternative they could keep ACS and simply bring in a windfall tax on all gas work profits over a certain amount.

Lets be honest they have just done it to bankers.

They could even make ACS free and free registration with GasSafe. That also would open up the market.

So if our prices are not reasonable there is a lot that could happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaf level???

condensate should terminate below the level leaves settle at in a grate. i.e. through the grate, otherwise the wind chil factor applies, and renders it at risk oif freesing in less than 0 degrees ambient.

TO pay a gas fitter £200 a day is very fair if you are paying his overheads for him on top. Otherwise he would be better paid stacking shelves at Morrisons. Your joiner's low overheads means you are paying him more than your gas fitter.

You got what you paid for.

as for boiler being his choice. Obviously he was given a budget. Given same budget I too would fit you a Vokera. Raise your budget if you want a better boiler.

In today's market £200 a day isn't bad, its fair and works out at about £25 ph. In Tescos you would get about £7ph top whack!

Lets keep it in proportion.

As to extra costs.

Well ACS training runs out at about £3000 over 5 years or about £12 a week and say anther £8 a week for GasSafe. In all about £20 a week difference in running costs between a self employed joiner and a self employed Plumber.

The difference between £200 a day and £120 a day works out at £400 a week.
Being fair public liability insurance costs may be higher for a Plumber/heating engineer than for a self employed joiner. But I doubt £380 a week.

Okay we know we have vans, but so do joiners and nearly everybody has to run some sort of transport to get to their place of work nowadays.

An employed Plumber would get about £12ph or £96 a day and perhaps have to find ACS training costs or at least contribute toward them. As well as find own transport to jobs.

I would imagine a self employed joiner charging £120 a day though is undercharging.

Some on the website though want to charge £75ph. Which would make a Plumber on £3,000 a week or £156,000 a year. That is ridiculous.

Okay so they may not work a full 40 hours a week. But is it right that the customer should make their money up?

If Fords sold cars at £100,000 each because they never sold so many would that make it right to charge £100,000 for a car that only cost about £6,000 to make?

No of course not.

The markets buy on price. The problem with the gas fitting market is that its a restricted market. In other words only GasSafe people can work in it. That means exclusivity. But some way or other, prices should be kept under control, even in an exclusive market to avoid people being over charged for services that intrinsically may not be worth as much as the asking price.

Lets be honest, we are now hearing of £900 being charged for a power flush. Ridiculous for sticking a pump on a central heating system and flushing the rubbish out. Okay a rad should take only a small time to drop out and flush, even with two men. Sticking new trvs and balancing the system is probably all part of any job of this kind and easy enough to do on an empty system and as you refill it.

No wonder they are queuing a hundred deep to power flush your central heating. You could probably hire the whole shebang including cleaner and additives for probably less than £100 plus say trvs £80. The rest is labour at £300 per man, a day.
Its money for old rope at those prices.

Lets give the customer and the trade a fair deal. Lets improve quality both of work and service as well as good fair prices and make everybody happy.

At present I have never seen a program on the TV about Plumbers under charging yet. And that seems to be the publics opinion of Plumbers. Lets try and change that.

Interesting point Bernie and radical it could be. On the subject of quality checking, how is that achieved when someone is self employed. Surely we don't want a load of clip boards going round ticking boxes?

Hi! Tackleburger,

Its not radical really, its how the markets worked before all this ACS came in and claims for call out money in normal working hours.

Some companies got away with it and so everybody else perhaps tries to follow.

The whole idea of ACS and GasSafe, is to make gas work safe, not to make for an exclusive club whose members can if they want, hold a virtual gun to the customers head if they don't want to pay the prices asked.

No government who wants votes, can afford that to happen for to long.

So they could simply remove the need for registration and put a levy on those companies and individuals that work in the industry and with the cash, supply free gas safety training.

That way the government could open the trade right up and fulfil its obligation to make gas work safe and lower prices through competition.

As to quality.

In years past on new work, a customer appointed a clerk of works to look after the customers interests. The clerk of works job was to make sure quality standards where kept. But that changed to make the architect responsible, so now you hardly ever meet clerk of works, removing what to me was an added sort of quality control.

Being fair, whether that means standards on new work have dropped I don't know. I must admit I never really took much notice, they seemed okay to me.

But repair work and private work are different.

How you would check the quality of a self employed persons work would be through regular GasSafe inspections.

Failing that you could have a sort of Fair Trades inspectorate.

But really, there is no way now, to ensure quality work, without some easy and quick means of customer complaints being taken up by some sort of inspector. And of course the same for a self employed person regarding prompt payment.

None of this voluntary malarkey of making it voluntary. The self employed need their cash quickly as much as anybody else.

Not sure about 3k for acs last time I checked re-assessment was about 1k for 4 appliances. Now this brings me to my next point. There are now loads of training organisations churning out gas fitters many of which have not done the necessary on site training but have managed to get a portfolio signed off. This is bad enough so a levy on gas companies is the most ridiculous suggestion I've heard to date and would most certainly compromise safety.

I was at my local training centre recently doing an unvented course and there were fast trackers there. One of them asked me if I would give him a hand on combi installs as he wasn't sure about removing tanks and cylinders etc. You see gas safety isn't compromised by that lack of fundemental knowledge, however it is a ridiculous situation that has allowed guys to go in and train on gas appliances with no knowledge of systems and controls.

I would argue differently from you. I'd say all self employed individuals should be certified competent across the scope of work in which they do and that applys to all trades. A timeserved individual should be exempt from that as they have served an apprenticeship. I am not timeserved but believe I have done the right training and am sufficiently qualified to do what I do now. Was I at the begining - debatable but I didn't charge the big rates so all's fair.

Overall we can't charge what we like anymore I charge £35.00 per hour for jobbing work with a minimum charge of £55.00 ex Vat. I think that is fair and I do a proper job no shortcuts. You simply can't get away with being overpriced anymore although British gas seem to manage it along with dolphin who can take an additional £1000 off a bathroom which is on sale at the moment. How many jobbing self employed Plumbers can knock a grand off a bathroom job?? Or a joiner a grand off a kitchen like Moben are doing on their sale kitchens the same as Dolphin. I think we know where regulation needs to be targeted.

The condensate pipe terminates in an open end about 450mm above ground level. The nearest drain which takes the rain water and kitchen waste (joint 2.5" ? pipe) is 4 houses away. The rain water/kitchen waste pipe is a communal pipe with the five houses sharing a single drain.

Should this condensate pipe be joined into the rain water/kitchen waste pipe?

Should it be insulated?

I have not seen one condensate pipe insulated in West Yorkshire!

Vokera boilers are the boiler of choice of my plumber. He is not given a budget as such. His remit is to fit a good reliable CH system to our houses. I don't tell the plumber how to do his job, nor the sparky/joiner/plaster/roofer etc. I need a reasonable quality job done for a fair price. A fair price in my mind is fair on both parties.

Edited to add that the plumber, sparky, plaster, joiner I use are all time served apprentice trained. Am not sure about the roofer

It can go to a waste system including rain water as a last resort. I this is not possible a soak away must be installed. It is not acceptable for 22mm pipe not to be insulated. Get the guy back and get it sorted out. Insulated or 1 1/4" pipe. There is no option or every ytear you will have the same problem. Whatever has happened elsewhere in yorkshire doesn't make it right. It is clear enough that condensate will freeze if not installed correctly.

Thanks TB. Think the plumber will be visiting 7 properties and insulating all 7 condense pipes. Will also ensure that all the condense pipes terminate below leaf level of a drain or are fed into another waste pipe

Thanks

Leeds

Leeds I think you have understood that my remit is to state it how it is that's all.

In my last job attending 13 jobs a day in Hull part of my remit was to write down everything which is wrong, no matter how slight, I think one property a week had nothing wrong.

The things wrong with your system which you have told us are no more or less wrong that what I saw 13 times a day.

The reason the regs are as they are is to take into account all eventualities. This cold weather has proved the worth of the regs.

Why people don't install things "cock on" has always baffled me. But they don't on the whole, especially in big towns and to be fair a high proportion of such installs are by guys in related work in the trade say in factories who think they know it all, they certainly have some skills and some better skills than us. But they clearly don't have what it takes to understand regs and apply them to practice. Whether they are registered in scope out of sope or what.

The change to Gas Safe may find a way to weed out these people or at least get them a new work ethic.

Vokeras are good boilers. Not the best. They may go bad a little more often, but you could have bean tret a lot worse by a real cowboy. I see people in your position with boilers I would bury brand new if they were given to me.

We are now well and truly into an age of the spare part profiteer. Why make all your parts reliable when you can make a killing selling them for £160 which cost you less than £20?

Yes I agree with some of your points Tackleburger,

The £3000 I refer too, is for a full house of ACS not just selected modules and possibly some catch up extra training if required. But, course prices are all over the place, I have seen them advertised from £400 up to £900 each module for what appears to be the same course.

A full house however, is what most employing companies ask of their employees or they at least ask for all the domestic ACS passes. Also don't forget to factor in the lost wage time for taking courses.

Regarding paying for ACS

In the past, nearly every building company put and still do I think, money into a CITB fund to provide subsidised training in the building industry.
Formerly as the biggest company in the gas industry, BG virtually funded all of CORGI until BG became privatised and they withdrew the funding, making everybody pay.
So asking for a gas industry levy is not a new idea at all, and there is nothing stopping employees and individuals from paying in as well. In short the industry itself could provide a free method of ACS and any extra catch up training if required. And surely appliance manufactureres and gas supply companies make billions can't they pay something?
Let's be honest they would probably hardly notice it. They could use it as sponsored advertising.

Free or cheap training would raise safety standards surely, not lower them?

The idea of letting people take free ACS seems fair to me, if safety is the key factor. Not only would it break down exclusivity, but also encourage lower prices and possibly encourage potential cowboys to go on them and lets be fair the number of cowboys are probably in proportion to the cost of Plumbing/gas fitting work.

Regarding ACS, yes there are a lot of people still wanting to come into the industry, but that is probably because of those who say you can earn good money in it.
There certainly seems a lot of money to be made out of training people, is that why so many training agencies run programs and don't they have to promote the industry as a potential high earnings field, to get people to go on their courses?

The often quoted £60,000 a year works out at only £30ph, the prices some self employed people charge for gas work would seem to support that?

Some ask £75ph for gas work, that works out at £156,000 a year. So if people are no good at football they will try gas work instead.

Lets be honest, working for £7ph or less minimum wage and then being told you can earn £30 - £80ph self employed after a short training period doesn't exactly discourage people.

The other point to consider, is what if a person invests £6,000 to get qualified on a short course. Wouldn't they want to start out as soon as possible, earning as much as they can get, to pay back the loan?

Making the training cheap or free, could remove that pressure and possibly bring prices down to a reasonable level. This would also allow the million or so teenagers out of work access to a trade. Not that you would get a million applying probably.

As you say regarding knowledge.

Gas fitting and Plumbing are part of Plumbing, but ACS testing for gas safety is not Plumbing knowledge. If I remember right its just really for plumbers who fit boilers as part of their Plumbing job.

In my own case, as an employed Plumber I was told I required them and to go and get them or stop work. I was required to do so of course.

I would agree you should be tested on all aspects of Plumbing, before setting up as a Plumber. But don't make it very difficult to become a Plumber.

The JIB grade their members according to supported track record ability. Its usually a minimum of 6 years all round experience to get an Approved grade and 11 years to get a Technician. Then its not automatic, the evidence has to go before a panel of judges composed of union representatives and employers who decide whether its good enough or not.

In practice it means anybody below Approved grade has to have their work checked and signed off by an Approved Plumber as acceptable. An Approved Plumber and other grades are required to be able to do all that the grade says they should be able to, with an employer able to sack them if they can't. In short if your work is sub standard or you can't do what your grade card says you can, a company can sack you no problem.

It was a scheme intended to stop the new Plumber just out of apprentice getting the same money as Plumbers with long experience, this was not seen as fair.

As you can imagine, the same is happening now in the industry but there is no control over self employed Plumbers/gas fitters. You get what you get. Perhaps the consumer, like the employer, is entitled to know what their workman is capable of and what their experience is, and what they can do if they don't meet the requirements?

Hospitals and schools have to publish this kind of information, why not companies?

Perhaps some kind of Plumbing licence should be introduced, once again free training should be avaliable. But people only allowed to practice in the areas they had the relevent licence level for.

The thing is, if the lead in time to becoming a Plumber/ gas fitter, licenced to work self employed was so many years, that would probably act as a brake on the industry recruitment right away, and possibly only those who genuinly wanted to set up on their own in the industry would keep at it.

At the moment, short courses seem to be the only quick route to a reasonable or good living wage for most people now out of work. Mind you if it was disc jockying or some other industry everybody would probably go for that instead.

Its more a matter of access.

Thanks for the chat Tackleburger, always good to hear a different point of view :) :)

I have a Vokera boiler. The hot water keeps running hot and cold through the taps and the shower. It's only started this winter. Could this be due to the external copper pipe freezing?

interesting thread think bernie has some very strange ideas though... why should a gas engineer not charge £75 hour or £50 an hour its your name that goes on it and if anything goes wrong whos to blame you... think bernie would have us all running around doing jobs for £7 an hour this in bernies world would mean loafs of bread will not be £10 and litres of fuel will not be over £20..
come on guys everyone charge less and lets make sony knock £100 off a stereo plumbers are charging £7 an hour every price will go down now...

back to the point for the price of a vokera boiler they are good infact there is absolutely nothing wrong with them at all. never waited 3 hours in my life to get through to them always within 5 mins 15 very most but basically never wait long.
scotland is full of vokeras very easy to work on and pretty good boiler especially the linea and unica models the new linea one is there best yet very impressive boiler.
It does not matter the make of boiler they all break and every one moans about something with a boiler.

My moan about worcester bosch cdi combis is the flue if you working on a top flat tenement and the flue bend is too close to the wall you struuggle to get the flue in then the stupid screws that secure the flue to boiler have not been in the box twice now
Plus you would think they would put the screws for flue in the flues box but no they come with boiler very stupid idea worcester

i went on the vokera fault finding course for the simple reason i do more vokera breakdowns than any other make.

i went on the vokera fault finding course for the simple reason i do more vokera breakdowns than any other mak

YES YOU REPAIR LOTS OF VOKERAS SO WHAT THATS BECAUSE THEY OUT NUMBER EVERY OTHER BOILER IN THE COUNTRY BECAUSE MORE PEOPLE FIT THEM ESPECIALLY LANDLORDS.
YES VOKERA HAVE BUDGET BOILERS THE SAME AS ANYONE ELSE BUT YOU BUY AT THE TOP END OF THERE BOILER RANGE THEN YOU DO GET A GOOD BOILER.

i INSTALLED HUNDREDS UNICAS AND LINEAS BECAUSE NO ONE WANTS TO PAY FOR WORCESTER OR VAILLIANT i HAVE NOT HAD ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH THEM INFACT i PUT A UNICA 28 IN MY AUNTYS HOUSE 4 YEARS AGO AND ITS STILL GOING STRONG NOT ONE SINGLE FAULT YET SO I CANT EVEN SAY NORMAL CUSTOMERS MIGHT JUST HAVE PHONED SOMEONE ELSE WHEN THERE VOKERA I INSTALLED BROKE.
TELL ME 4 YEARS WITH NO FAULT WHAT SO EVER DOES EVERY WORSCESTER LAST THIS LONG?
FOR £650 WAY FLUE AND CLOCK FOR A A RATED BOILER IS A GOOD PRICE AND FOR THE CASH YOU PAY IT IS ACTUALLY VERY GOOD

Woah easy tiger what you shouting at me for.
Just because i have an opinion. i come on this forum to discuss not to be shouted at just because you don't agree with what i say. I repair more vokera boilers so imho that's means they are naff. like in the words of harry callaghan opinions are like bums, everybody has one. (lighten up dude)

Woah easy tiger what you shouting at me for.
Just because i have an opinion. i come on this forum to discuss not to be shouted at just because you don't agree with what i say. I repair more vokera boilers so imho that's means they are naff. like in the words of harry callaghan opinions are like bums, everybody has one. (lighten up dude)

sorry wasnt havimh a go may come across this way sometimes this is just the way i am ... i like them doesnt mean every one will just cant understand why everyone in here has bad things to say about them thats all

people wouldn't slate them if they didn't have bad experience's with them. i service and repair plenty of different makes of boiler. but vokera's i have to repair the most and they are not the most popular boiler sold boiler in my area. therefore they don't get my vote. Also from my experience 8 out 10 call vokera tech support are answered by rude and abrupt tech support guys. from my experience they are the worst tech support guys ever.

also vokera tech support are the only ones who have ever cut me off whilst trying to diagnose a fault and the only ones where i have had to wait more than 10 mins in winter( the longest was 45 mins)

We just fitted a Volkera Compact a 25kw and I really enjoyed fitting and commissioning it. Really easy to work on. The flue system on is spot on. However I think this one missed the pre delivery inspection as the gas valve was a mile off and the expansion vessel was at 0 bar not a problem as its part of the commissioning procedure.

Only problem I found was the fan on it was quite loud.
To me all boilers can develop faults and do even the valiant and the worcester.

In my opinion, in the short term they are reasonable boilers, but as they reach the 6, 7, 8 year old mark they start giving problems. They have not got the quality of Worcester for example. I have been to more vokeras for breakdown/repairs (other than freezing condensates) over the winter period than any other make, but they are far from the most popular boiler I see on day to day service visits in my area.

We just fitted a Volkera Compact a 25kw and I really enjoyed fitting and commissioning it. Really easy to work on. The flue system on is spot on. However I think this one missed the pre delivery inspection as the gas valve was a mile off and the expansion vessel was at 0 bar not a problem as its part of the commissioning procedure.

fitting flue and the ease of fitting the boiler is a lt easier than most

I have had the same problem in the past (the hot water going hot then cold then hot again) with my Vokera boiler caused by black metal oxide from the radiators slowly clogging up the hot water heat exchanger. By back flushing and using a descaler I have managed to clean up the old unit and by fitted a magnaclean I have managed to remove quite a lot of the black sludge from the system.

Vokera are ok. I have installed many with very little problems. Choosing the right one though is important. Defo stay away from the compact. Its rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vokera Boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock