Search the forum,

Discuss Vertex flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

raymondo68

Any threads on vertex flues and how to test. Came across one today that just didn't look right.

The air intake I understand but what I didn't like was the draught diverter which seemed to allow POC to enter the loft???? Can't find any installation instructions or testing instructions.

Any help gratefully received

Cheers Raymondo

If the flue is installed correctly, there should be minimum chance of POC's entering roof space. The draught diverter draws air in. Your average roof space should have sufficient ventilation.
Make sure bottom air intake is at least 300mm above any insulation etc. and that area around is clear. Check flue well supported and all joints are sound.

Last edited:
What you describe is technicaly not a draught diverter. Its a roomsealed boiler, which draws its air from the roof space and discharges products of combution outside. Therefore treat it as any other fan flued RS boiler. Do consider the correct method of installation though. Which boiler are we talking about?

As said before, make sure the air intake is atleast 300mm above the insulation. I always use a couple smoke matches to make sure there is a good pull on the flue.

Thanks guys

I did light a couple of smoke matches and there was no pull whatsoever.
The boiler was an Ideal Classic 240FF.
I am probably wrong but I just do not see how this flue is installed correctly. The flue way (Inner flue pipe) is open to the loft space. POC can enter the loft through the grill (draught diverter on the few diagrams that I have seen). There is absolutely no way that you could guarrantee that the POC would not enter the loft!!
I have capped the appliance off, my supervisor is attending tomorrow, see what he thinks.

Thanks again guys

Raymondo

The inner flue pipe is meant to be open to the loft space, but normally they pull really well. I'd say theres an issue with the flue termination, damaged maybe?

The inner flue pipe is meant to be open to the loft space, but normally they pull really well. I'd say theres an issue with the flue termination, damaged maybe?

the flue cannot be open in the loft
the POC's must go outside. on this type of flue the air intake is drawn from a properly ventilated loft, so if you can see the inner flue open in the loft it is dangerous

You have a draught break in the loft on the flue, where you can spillage test it from. Its a mesh section with a plate around the inner flue, below the plate is the fresh air intake and above is the draught break before the secondary flue starts. The secondary flue is basically an open flue so some install rules apply and why you need to spillage test it with smoke matches

DOH, should have looked before i commented

12.3 Type C​
7 ("Vertex") flues

[FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook][FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook]
Where a C7 flue is used, the primary flue and draught break, which are both parts of the appliance, shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the appliance manufacturer. The secondary flue connected to the appliance draught break in the roof space shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the flue system manufacturer.
Provision shall be made for an adequate unobstructed air supply to the roof space in which the draught break is located. The secondary flue connected to the appliance draught break, shall be constructed of a non-corrosive material such as stainless steel and that section shall be vertical where possible. If a change of direction (offset) is unavoidable, the first section of the flue above the draught break shall rise vertically by a minimum of 600 mm before it changes direction. The offset section of flue shall not exceed 20 % of the total length of the secondary flue, and shall terminate through the roof with a normal terminal. Provision shall be made to collect and remove any condensate that will form above the draught break. The break shall be located at least 300 mm above the level of any insulation in the roof space.​
A spillage test shall be carried out at the draught break in the roof space.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Thanks again guys

The flue I saw contravenes the reg stated above in many ways. I feel vindicated in having ID'd it now. Worrying thing is that this flue is in a Housing Association Property. Inspected every year for the last 10 years or more??????? Is it just me or does this system seem fundamentally flawed???

All the best

Raymondo

Kirkgas is quite correct. Now we know which boiler is invloved, I have checked the instruction manual and this system does have a down draught relief grille above the air intake grille, which should be located in the roof space.

Hi Reg Man

Where did you get the MI's? I have looked in all of the normal places?

Cheers

Raymondo

Send me a PM with your email and I can get you a copy over.

Thanks again guys

The flue I saw contravenes the reg stated above in many ways. I feel vindicated in having ID'd it now. Worrying thing is that this flue is in a Housing Association Property. Inspected every year for the last 10 years or more??????? Is it just me or does this system seem fundamentally flawed???

All the best

Raymondo
As I said previous. If installed and maintained correctly it is safe. It does have its flaws, the biggest probably being having extra insulation added in roof space which means the air intake is no longer 300mm minimum above. Even though it still may be above the insulation, it has more risk of drawing in fibres which may eventually clog the intake grill.

Kirkgas is quite correct. Now we know which boiler is invloved, I have checked the instruction manual and this system does have a down draught relief grille above the air intake grille, which should be located in the roof space.
Don't all vertex flue systems have a draught diverter?

Why were vertex flues developed? just so that an existing ridge vent can be used???? I think they're pants!!!

They are there so you can have a longer flue length and more flexibility when positioning a boiler.

I had the same problem as raymondo68 today, vertex flue with a 90 degree bend attached to the air intake ,regs state must have 600mm of vertical pipe above air intake before any change of direction.It failed a spillage test, loft insulation upto the air intake lack of clips and about 1.5 m of horizontal flue pipe. worrying thing was that it had been serviced just last week by british gas. Has been on there 3 sar cover for 12 years and nobpdy noticed. I was carrying out a landlord safety check.

Just had a city and guilds question on vertex flues today, and the viper book says operatives sometimes wrongly identify Vertex flue system as a open flues or a vertical balanced flue appliance.

The flue is attached to my Baxi boiler which the gas have been cut of from because of a hole in the flue which is just above the mesh air intake section. I would like to know if anyone knows where I can get a vertex twin wall flue replacement from please.

I closed the last thread for a reason. its new boiler time as I'm sure you've already been told. Accept it and move on. Do not post this question again or I will deem it to be spam and ban you. Kindest regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vertex flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock