Search the forum,

Discuss ventilation for gas fires in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adam2411

Hey all just wanted to get your thoughts,ive always been under the impression that a fire under 7kw doesn't need ventilation,after talking to a colleague who needed some advise on a fire another colleague over heard and said that all fuel effect fires need 100cm2.

In my viper book there is a table that states that any dfe fire needs 100cm2 now I know that the majority of basket fires and the wall mounted dfe fires with the cat inside unless it states otherwise in the MI will need one,but he was saying even the inset fires with the coals and with the glass still need 100cm2.

Any thoughts?

what do the mi's state

yeh, thats the call.
no m.i's then a 100cm vent required unless prooved otherwise.
all cats need one?

Depends on the type of gas fire. I think there is some confusion here between a DFE (basket), ILFE (Inset Live Fuel Effect), and flueless (with cat). DFE generally yes (100cm), ILFE generally no, flueless yes. Does depend on other factors and MI's. Consult GSR engineer if doubt.

No MIs 100cm2

Depends on the type of fire. Inset fuel effect fires (ie full metal body that sits inside the builders opening, with a spigot that protrudes into the flue) do not need any...

Generally the only ones that do are DFE (Basket in the bottom of the builders opening) or flueless.

Yes cassette type ILFE.

Generally don't need any then. DFE's require it as they've normally got to be fitted on a 175mm flue, so have a lot more air going through the chimney. What I think you're taking about would only need 175mm, less air so less ventilation needed.

"fuel effect"
a bit open ended, what about pebbles??

as said its the manufacturers instructions that are key,
but fire type is also important.

let the collegue who said it needs a vent automatically tell you what hes quoting.

Spot on finkbat!
Having worked on dozens of different ILFE fires with MI's available I don't recall any that has ever stated ventilation required.(subject to satisfactory spillage test etc though.)
That is why most ILFE's are bellow the 7kw cutoff.
This is also clearly documented in British Standards.
But as mentioned we really require the MI's to be 100% clear on this.

DFE fires are a different story. Unless your MI's say otherwise you are going need at least 100cm² vent.

Last edited:
It's worth remembering that current standards state the 7 kW allowance for non-DFE open flues shouldn't be taken for granted. Newer houses and older houses that have been draughtproofed, double glazed or insulated are more airtight than properties built when adventitious air was first formulated. The onus is on the gas engineer to determine whether adventitious air is there or not.

And do you have to take into account the space the ILFE Or a DFE sited in must be within 35cm2 minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ventilation for gas fires in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey all Looking for a consensus on an issue that has arisen. Disclaimer is that my ideal icos 12 boiler Is over 10 years old but has been serviced. It has been presenting intermittent flame issues in sub zero temperatures however I found that insulating the pipe work around the gas regulator...
Replies
Views
    • Disagree
Hi Everyone, I have customer who would like a flueless gas fire installed in a conservatory, but i have no where do put in a permanent vent all walls are internal except one which has big doors & supporting pillars which i cant drill though. But the extension has glass roof with permanent...
Replies
Views
I have an old gas fire which wasn't working well. I asked a plumber to do a CP12 test (£40 as an addition to the boiler test) and tell me what he thought was required. After doing this he said it needed servicing, which would be an additional £60, and then would probably be OK. I went ahead with...
Replies
Views
Originally, I though this was going to be a straight forward question and then just now I checked something. To cut a lengthy explaination short...a friend has what we thought was a living flame fire, which sits within a brick chimney breast. Work is being done on the chimney on the roof and it...
Replies
Views
K
Quick question about ventilation for gas fires with cavity wall insulation We would like to get cavity wall insulation, we chose a CIGA registered installer and have been told we need a vent in our lounge as we have a fire. I have looked at the "CIGA flues, chimneys and combustion air...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock