Search the forum,

Discuss vented or un-vented. Any help gratefully received!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

42bty22ad

Hi all,
I have now received two quotes for work on my central heating/hot water system becasue the copper cylinder has been leaking and I would like to replace it before I refit the bathroom. My system:-
  • Baxi maineco system 24 (fitted December 2015)
  • Standard copper cylinder in the bathroom. Fed by large water storage tank in the loft.
  • There is no small header tank. The old one is still in the attic and water supply to it has been cut off.
Our first plumber states that our current cylinder is unsuitable and will require replacing with an un-vented cylinder but also recommends replacing the whole system with a Combi.
The second has asked me what type of cylinder I would like and has given me the option of either a vented or un-vented.
Any information will be gratefully received!!

Can't understand suggestion to rip out a 14 month old boiler still under 3 year warranty and replace with combi.
Vented OK, if happy with existing shower, but if you prefer a more vigorous showering experience, change to unvented. When sizing cylinder be aware that increased flow at shower may require greater volume of hot water storage and ensure coil rating in cylinder,vented/unvented, is no less then the 24Kw of your boiler.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Joni. I had thought a vented system needed an expansion tank in the loft.
So really I could just replace with another copper cylinder?

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to check incoming mains pressure, static and dynamic and flow rate before you choose an unvented cylinder.

Thanks Kozak.
Im still unsure what type of system I have. Can you still have a vented system with no expansion tank in the loft?

Thanks Kozak.
Im still unsure what type of system I have. Can you still have a vented system with no expansion tank in the loft?

Thanks Kozak.

So you have to tanks in your loft? and you can have your heating pressurised but hot water still on gravity

Vented is just the hot water side. Central heating system would be sealed with an expansion vessel on that system. You would keep the large Cold water tank in the loft to fill the hot water cylinder and to allow expansion of the heated water with the open saftey vent above it also.

Thanks all,
Had another guy around yesterday. As there is only one, large, water tank in the loft he stated that the 'expansion vessel' is incorporated into the boiler.
So I could just replace the leaking copper cylinder............or as we may extend into the loft, do I bite the bullet and change the whole system to a combi. Even though our current boiler is only 15months old.

Thanks all,
Had another guy around yesterday. As there is only one, large, water tank in the loft he stated that the 'expansion vessel' is incorporated into the boiler.
So I could just replace the leaking copper cylinder............or as we may extend into the loft, do I bite the bullet and change the whole system to a combi. Even though our current boiler is only 15months old.

Sounds like all that's needed is to replace the cylinder like-for-like if there's no issues with lack of hot water or pressure. Cheaper than going to all the hassle of putting in an unvented one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to vented or un-vented. Any help gratefully received!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water comes on all seems ok then after about 15/20 mins i started to hear a trickling noise from hw cylinder which i can also hear in the boiler. The central...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We're looking to update our existing central heating setup and wanted to get a few more opinions. We currently have an open vented conventional boiler with cold water expansion tank in attic and indirect vented hot water cylinder. Initially we thought we would just swap to a combi...
Replies
Views
I have a vented hot-water cylinder that was installed when the house was built - 38 years ago! It has a header tank in the loft and the cylinder is located directly above the ceiling of a new and expensive kitchen. It does not leak and causes no obvious problems. Should it be replaced? Advice...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm after some help regarding my Father in laws heating system. He has had a local engineer around but hasn't had a fix and is very remote so I'm looking at the issue before arranging someone to try to fix. He is on oil and has a modern raeburn boiler/range. He has a vented system with...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock