Search the forum,

Discuss Varispeed 50 shower pump. Constantly on. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

phillsmit3

I've had to isolate the power to my shower pump because it is staying on even when it is not supplying water.
It is a Newteam varispeed 50
I am not the best diyer but am also not stupid.
First of all I am wondering if there is any quick fix?
E. G. Banging it to release a reed? Or if I should bother unscrewing the bit near the outlet pipes where the switch is located.

Then I was thinking of isolating the water supply to the pump and switching it back on just to make sure there wasn't a leak anywhere and to be sure that it is a stuck switch.
If I did this would it damage the pump if it turned on with no water going through it?

The with the water supply isolated I was going to take off the pipes and see if there is anything dodgy to see?

Am I thinking correctly or is there something I am missing or should/shouldn't be doing?

You can try tapping the ends (lightly!) to release the flow switch, more than likely you will need a new pump though.

close both isolating valves on the outlet side of the pump or the service valves and see if the pump stops. If it does then this indicates there must be a tap or outlet being pumped that is open to atmosphere...
If the pump doesnt stop at all when closing the valves then check to see if the reed switch on either side have become dislodged.. You also could unclip each reed switch (one at a time though) to see if this stops the pump if so the float is stuck up inside and needs removal and cleaning / replacement.

close both isolating valves on the outlet side of the pump or the service valves and see if the pump stops. If it does then this indicates there must be a tap or outlet being pumped that is open to atmosphere...
If the pump doesnt stop at all when closing the valves then check to see if the reed switch on either side have become dislodged.. You also could unclip each reed switch (one at a time though) to see if this stops the pump if so the float is stuck up inside and needs removal and cleaning / replacement.

Then I was thinking of isolating the water supply to the pump and switching it back on just to make sure there wasn't a leak anywhere and to be sure that it is a stuck switch.
If I did this would it damage the pump if it turned on with no water going through it?

Wouldn`t damage the pump if you did this just for 10 seconds, depending on how old the pump is it might be time to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Varispeed 50 shower pump. Constantly on. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock