Search the forum,

Discuss Variable flow Water Pump for instant water heater? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DuckyUC

Hi again

I fitted a instant electric water heater to supply hot water for whole flat
but the hot water flow are quite low

So I am finding a pump that can:

1. pump only on when water flow
so no pump noise all the time and the pump have longer live

2. pump can tune how much water flow/pressure to increase
the water heater have a max 10bar Rated pressure
If the water flow too high the water heater wont able to heat up the water to require temperature

I find a pump call Salamander home boost on google
It only on when water flow but it design to maintain 12L/min all the time so I do worry that will give too high water flow and the water heater wont able to heat up the water to require temperature.

Any recommend for water pumps?

omg, I find it.
Triton T450i 1.2 Bar Single Impeller Positive Head Shower Pump

Seem fit my need

triton got bad review on 1st page in google, any other model recommend?

so the heater we said would not be good enough and have a good enough flow rate is........................... not good enough and does not have a good enough flow rate ?
:19:

increasing the flow will make your hot water cold.

the water heater have a max temp of 55C set by it thermostat, so I want to increase the water flow to a point until the water heater cant heat any more water

for now the hot water amount restricted by the low water flow, whatever how low the water flow the max temp is 55c so it is potential able to generate more hot water by increase the flow

just tested when i set the temp at 20c and 55c the water flow are the same, so the shower are not reduced the flow to achieve a higher temp

Fit the Salamander home boost or the Suart Turner Mains boost and put a restrictor just before the pump.

Good idea,
I find [h=4]Grundfos UPA 15-90N[/h]Which is cheaper and
1. do have flow switch
2. able to turn the output

I find it cost ÂŁ131 online will this be a good option?
The only bad thing is Salamander home boost able to fit on the water main but [h=4]fit Grundfos UPA 15-90N need consent from the water supply company (I guess they wont say no as long as the pump draw less than 12L/min water)[/h]

They will say no as it's not an approved product. Both of the pumps I listed will only turn on when the tap is opened. They are suitable because they have flow limiters built in. Unless you look at fitting break tanks there are only two pumps that are suitable at the moment.

The good option would have been to get a qualified plumber to assess your need and provide a solution. What you seem to be doing is throwing bad money after bad.

Why is anybody responding to this blokes posts now. This is the third post along the same lines, advice has been ignored and he is now trying to get something cobbled together.

I know the forum is here to help, but in the odd instance some people are beyond help.

Thanks mike, I think I will go for Salamander home boost+ restrictor solution.

If I get a contractor give me a solution without understand what happen they often provide some solution seem ok before they leave then find more problem after. As I do found a
a qualified plumber to fit the water heater already, dont want to waste the money again, the labor is like 2-4 times of the material itself.

So each member only allow to open one post?
All 3 post are difference problem really.

If I open 3 post ask 3 exactly the same question then you are right. If I want get instant access to hot water how does those advise me to install a immersion help? Think about it, will you buy a car that take 2hours to charge before it run and the battery only last 40min? If everyone prefer a car can run anytime why not for the water heater?

If I open 3 post ask 3 exactly the same question then you are right. If I want get instant access to hot water how does those advise me to install a immersion help? Think about it, will you buy a car that take 2hours to charge before it run and the battery only last 40min? If everyone prefer a car can run anytime why not for the water heater?

This is a great example of how not to manage a project in your home.

Ask advice, ignore advice, buy unsuitable product with no thought to installation or long term operation, employ plumber/electrician to install unsuitable equipment, blame plumber/electrician for equipment not supplying sufficient hot water (as was advised on numerous occasions), look for pump to fix screw up that probably won't anyway.

I'm off in the shower now with ample hot water.

This is a great example of how not to manage a project in your home.

Ask advice, ignore advice, buy unsuitable product with no thought to installation or long term operation, employ plumber/electrician to install unsuitable equipment, blame plumber/electrician for equipment not supplying sufficient hot water (as was advised on numerous occasions), look for pump to fix screw up that probably won't anyway.

I'm off in the shower now with ample hot water.
Would that be a shower fed with hot water from an un-vented storage cylinder SimonG ???? I bet it has a good flowrate as well & how much did you say it cost to supply & install was it ÂŁ400 or did you go for the more expensive one at ÂŁ600 !! L very much OL.

I used an un-vented storage cylinder before, hot water last 40min and take 1-2 hours to boil once hot water run out.
The point is get unlimited instant access of hot water, how your advise able to do so?

The wiring upgrade only one off cost, and in the future repair/replace the instant water heater + pump only take 30min.
The storage heater you recommend, not even able to drain the water in 30min and start any meaningful repair.

I used an un-vented storage cylinder before, hot water last 40min and take 1-2 hours to boil once hot water run out.
The point is get unlimited instant access of hot water, how your advise able to do so?

The wiring upgrade only one off cost, and in the future repair/replace the instant water heater + pump only take 30min.
The storage heater you recommend, not even able to drain the water in 30min and start any meaningful repair.
If you say so, end of my communications.

Well ducky!!

if you increase the flow through a an instant hot water heater of any sort it means less time for it to heat !!

therefore if you increase the flow rate now you will have........lukewarm water :)

sadly you have gone down the wrong route to begin with..........the advice you have recieved and ignored from the first post has been solid !
This is our job so its very naive to assume you know better.

I'm off for a two hour boiler hot shower with an amazing flow rate to drain my unventeds and then get the stop watch out for a further 20 mins to wait for it to recover ;)

Even my current shower give 4.8L/min, you have 2hours shower so that will be at least 2 X 4.8L/min X 60min = 576L
120min+20min to heat the water, 576L/140min = 4.11L/min

How many Amp does your boiler use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets say it cost more money than you would want to part with !!!

the basic jist is that if you want an unlimited/high amount of hot water at a good flow rate in any installation you require quite a good design element and you only get that from someone with the training and experiance.

also there is a cost. the better the system you want the more you have to pay out.

It's impossible for you to get what you desire unless you part with quite a substancial amount of money.

Also the current set up you wish to use will not work :)

if you can only use electric then a pulsa coil style combi heater would be your best bet

http://www.gledhill.net/pdf/Spec%20101-02%20PulsaCoil%20BP.pdf

The other options are undersink water heaters and an ellectric shower.......

Even my current shower give 4.8L/min, you have 2hours shower so that will be at least 2 X 4.8L/min X 60min = 576L
120min+20min to heat the water, 576L/140min = 4.11L/min

How many Amp does your boiler use?

You really, really should have paid attention to the advice you were given.

Because you didn't you've now got an expensive white elephant.

Oh, and for the record, my indirect unvented has a recovery time of 20 minutes too. The boiler's on a 5a spur.

But then I know what I'm doing and, when I don't, I pay attention to any and all advice given.

Especially when I'm told I need to get someone in.

You live and you learn eh?

me not understand why me head hurt:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: you must be class a plonker

in future when a poster like you appears, I'm going to take up my kids old mantra that they used when they got fed up with being told what to do. " LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm out out out. I'm disappointed with myself for even posting again on this thread because in know it will pop up on my learned friends new posts search.

Sorry chaps.

I already get the system installed, and it work. It gives enough hot water. I only want to install a hot water pump to improve it, that simple. Why you guys seem anyone not using an unvent system are wrong? Instant hot water are so common in other country, whats the point of get an massive water tank that require more maintenance and more risk of leaking?

At the end of the post the ppl seem even made up an unvent system that only exist in imagination.
Hot water last for 2 hours and take 20min to recharge with amazing flow? If you can give me such a amazing model to me I will unstall my current system and install that unvent model.

Let say you have a 200L tank with all hot water heated up in E7 period, shower take 5L/min
200/5=40min shower

If each shower take 20min, that will be enough hot water for 2 shower.
For the 3rd person need a shower, he will need to wait the whole water tank boil to decent temp.

How long do he need to wait?
A immersion normally have 3kW output, 3000W/230V=13A (normally have 16A breaker in the fuse box)
My 12KW system can heat up 5L per min instantly
3/12=1/4, 5/4=1.25L per min
So 3kw should able to heat up 1.25L per min
200/1.25=160min=2hours40min.
With an immersion for the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] person shower need to wait 20min (1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shower run at same time)+2hour40min =3hours

With an instant heater the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] person shower need to wait 20min(1[SUP]st[/SUP] shower) +20min (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shower)=40mins

How come the unvert immersion becomes better?
Even with a 9kW output will still take 53min to heat the full tank of water
=53+20=1hour 13min waiting time

I would bet the fact is you take a 20min shower which use up half of the hot water, and the 20min recharge just heat up a bit the remain hot+ cold water mixture.
The point is if you do believe unvent system is the ultimate solution then give a physically exist model with spec rather keep saying how crap other system is.

And my boiler room not even have space to put a 200L tank, I guess even I get an unvent only can have 150L max. Do you guys understand why I rather prefer get instant system at the cost of only 1 shower can run each time now?

Have you thought about this guys, this could be an old plumber playing mind games with use, dats what I fink, it's a wind up and you have all fallin into the trap, BTW did I reply to this post, my memory is going now, this chap needs a left handed fluffle valve, that will fixed or someone needs to block the thread with a Yorkshire 61.

A shower does not use only hot water. As soon as the cylinder stat calls for heat the water is being heated. The recovery times mentioned are for a complete reheat not a top up.

Your understanding of the subject is poor that is why you are clinging onto a 5l shower rather than listening to the good advice from people who do this everyday.

Are you an engineer by chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Variable flow Water Pump for instant water heater? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock