Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant EcoTEC Boiler Issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here. My mother in law has a Vaillant EcoTEC Plus condensing boiler.

When she turns the heating on or runs the hot tap the boiler goes through it’s cycle but gets stuck at S.53, and it sounds like the boiler is kettling. I understand the S.53 code is to do with lack of water in the boiler but can’t seem to sort the problem out. The tank in the loft which feeds the boiler is full, so I know that isn’t the problem.
The system had a power flush last year and the pump is less than 18 months old, and appears to be running as it should.

Any help would be much appreciated. I would hate it to be something relatively simple that I can do, rather than calling out a heating engineer for a straightforward problem.

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here. My mother in law has a Vaillant EcoTEC Plus condensing boiler.

When she turns the heating on or runs the hot tap the boiler goes through it’s cycle but gets stuck at S.53, and it sounds like the boiler is kettling. I understand the S.53 code is to do with lack of water in the boiler but can’t seem to sort the problem out. The tank in the loft which feeds the boiler is full, so I know that isn’t the problem.
The system had a power flush last year and the pump is less than 18 months old, and appears to be running as it should.

Any help would be much appreciated. I would hate it to be something relatively simple that I can do, rather than calling out a heating engineer for a straightforward problem.
S53 is a circulation problem I believe. What setting is the pump on. Have you got a bypass on the system?

I’m not there at the moment, so can’t give an answer about the pump. I do know there is a bypass on the system though. I will try and get a photo of the pipework.

Open vented vaillant boilers at a pain. I have had success fitting the pump on the main return greatly improves flow.

Right. I managed to get round there and have a look. I’ve tried to attach the photos but for some reason it won’t let me citing a security issue(?!).
Yes, there is a bypass valve, which was open, so I have closed it. The pump was also on the wrong setting for the type of system, so I have put it on the Auto setting. This does seem to have had an effect, as some of the rads are now getting warm.
However the boiler is still making a racket, as if there is an awful lot of air in there, or it is kettling.
It doesn’t spend so much time on S.53 any more, but it does seem to spend an awful lot of time on the over-run, and doesn’t seem to fire up for very long.

218855FF-94AB-4A40-9F69-CC0865D44DE8.jpeg
F65A3524-727D-4BBC-ABE0-869522A2B103.jpeg

Edit: woo, it worked!

Have you had the centre out the pump to see if it is spinning properly and if you can stop it?

Ah, I see what you mean now. So if it stops easily, then the pump is worn and therefore not circulating the water correctly?

The pump is less than 18 months old, so I would hope it is still going strong, but I suppose you can't be sure!

Is your cylinder downstairs with the boiker upstairs? If not it seams to be plumbed in upside down.
Also are there manual air vents in the airing cupboard? If so open them to get the air out. Also bleed all rads.
Tip: sometimes running system in heating only then hot water only whilst venting can help to chase air out :)

Is your cylinder downstairs with the boiker upstairs? If not it seams to be plumbed in upside down.
Also are there manual air vents in the airing cupboard? If so open them to get the air out. Also bleed all rads.
Tip: sometimes running system in heating only then hot water only whilst venting can help to chase air out :)

Says its his Mothering laws place bet its a bung-a-low with pipe work running in loft !! Still think its the cheep pump that's been fitted or an air lock in loft, Proberly AAVs in loft.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

The boiler is in the cupboard with the water tank below (the tank can be seen to the right of the pipework in the photos).
Dan, what do you mean when you say it looks as if it’s been plumbed in upside-down?
There is a vent valve above the boiler, which had a very small amount of air in, and there is a valve attached to some pipes in the loft which had air in. I bled these but it has made little difference.

What is an AAV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vaillant EcoTEC Boiler Issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock