Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant Eco Tec Plus 637 - issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

santhosh

Hi All,
I had the central heating system replaced recently, the set up is below
Vaillant Eco Plus 637 system boiler
Excelsior hot water unvented cylinder
Honeywell timer - ST9400A/C
Honeywell thermostat
I have the below issues:

Boiler will turn on and off as per the timing set in the timer, but once the timer goes off say about 20 mins later boiler starts again and runs for a minute and turns off whilst the fan continues to run for another 10 mins (fan in the boiler operating for 10 mins after it shuts off is normal I believe) but this continues round through the clock day and night when the timer is off.

There is no ho****er mode in the display on the boiler, pressing the left button doesnot show any settings for the ho****er mode and radiator icon is always on and flashing suggesting that the boiler is in central heating mode and pressing the right button shows the settings for target flow temperature and water pressure. The fitter says ho****er temperature is controlled using the thermostat on the ho****er cylinder and in system boiler there will not be any settings available from the boiler. But the manual doesn't say so, they say all is well but I doubt it.

I have provided the images of the boiler display panel, thermostat, ho****er cylinder and timer below, please answer my below questions:
1) Should the System boiler have hot water mode or not? should the tap icon be shown on the display panel?
2) will the frequent start and stop of boiler (once every 20 mins) wont affect its performance? and is it normal as told by the fitter?
24109-1.jpg 24112-1.jpg 24113-1.jpg 24115-1.jpg
Thankyou,
Santhosh

yes, it were all fitted just a couple of months back. Do you think there is a problem with the boiler?

Thanks,

Bit naughty running the D2 in plastic - You may want to get the installer to sort that out.

Hi Santhosh
So it is a large property that you live in then ?
You have asked the original installers to explain what is going on what did they say ?
what's with the "ho****er", an I missing some thing ? what do you mean.

<font color="#333333">Hi Santhosh<br>
So it is a large property that you live in then ? <br>
You have asked the original installers to explain what is going on what did they say ? <br>
</font><font color="#333333">what's with the "ho****er", an I missing some thing ? what do you mean. </font>
<br>
<br>Hi Chris,<br>
Thanks for the reply, well its a normal 3 bed house with a downstairs shower room. hence opted for mega to ensure hot water is available at both bathrooms and kitchen simultaneously.<br><br>As per the valliant manual, there should be two modes in the boiler one each for hot water and central heating. Pressing the left button should display settings for hot water and right button for central heating. but on the display panel (see the attached pic) I don't find hot water icon (tap) I see only radiator displayed always and radiator icon flashing when the boiler is on this suggests to me that the boiler is in central heating mode. But the fitter says in system boiler there will not be any settings for hot water at boiler and the temperature needs to be set at the thermostat on the cylinder.<br><br>Second issue I have is, the boiler starts once in every 15 - 20 mins for a period of 1 min and switches off itself which means the fan with in the boiler will start running for the next 10 mins. This is results in constant noise and the frequent on and off of the boiler round the clock will reduce its life span as well.<br><br>hope I have explained it clear.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>

Sorry for all the questions but just trying to get a clear understanding of your situation, who selected this 37kW boiler ? & when the installation was compete did the engineer not provide a client demonstration as to how the system was installed & to be used ?

Sorry for all the questions but just trying to get a clear understanding of your situation, who selected this 37kW boiler ? & when the installation was compete did the engineer not provide a client demonstration as to how the system was installed & to be used ?

Fitter suggested the 37kw boiler after calculating the radiators and bathrooms, he also suggested all of the other components (timer, zone valve, thermostat) when the installation was complete, he instructed us how to set the timer for hot water and central heating. Tested it by setting the time for 10 mins ensured the timer is turning on the boiler and switching it off as per the time set in timer, we checked all the radiators to ensure heating was fine. But once he left the boiler we noticed the boiler is turning on every 20 mins for a period of 1 min it's happening round through the clock. That's when I started digging into the manual and posted on this forum.

I feel the either the boiler isn't configured properly or the fitter has cocked up the installation :(

To me that boiler is way too big but without know the details of the house I can't say for sure.

Get him back ASAP to sort the issues out.

Last edited:
To me that boiler is way too big but without know the details of the house I can't say for sure.

Get him back ASAP to sort the issues out.

well its a three bed house two doubles and one single, with lounge (12 *15) dining (12*12) downstairs utility and shower room (12 *10) kitchen in the rear 3m extension all together we have 9 radiators.

Did speak to Valliant this afternoon, they say the boiler should come on and switch off as per the timer settings and not at other times, if its doing this once every 20 mins then there seems to be a problem. Since it is in warranty they will be sending an engineer this thursday, will update the post with the outcome.

Thank you guys

As above, it is likely that the boiler is twice as big as is required for a normal 3 bed house, unless you have the biggest rooms I have ever seen or 10 living rooms downstairs.
The boiler will not be able to run correctly with such a low heating load & will keep entering an anti-cycling mode.
The hot water thermostat on the boiler is only activated (& used) if you use there un-vent cylinder or buy the cylinder temperature sensor if i remember correctly.
Ask the installer to come back & sort out these problems to your satisfaction. (please also make sure that the installation has been notified to both Gas Safe & the manufacturers by your installer).
Hope that helps a bit.

Please don't wait for Vaillant to come out, ask the installer to come back first, if it turns out to be a problem with the boiler let them call them out.
Pound to a penny it is not going to be a manufacturers fault !!!

doesn't the ecotec plus 637 system have an aquacomfort setting that can be turned off? I believe it acts as a pre-heat which will stop the boiler firing intermittantly

i had similar situation where there was not a bypass install and pump was winding it self up .......

r u sure u r hearing the fun running ??

Looks like a s plan with no bypass below boiler.

d2 safety relief in overflow pipe... Not to regulations. That would just melt if it discharged.

I would guess the boiler is not wired correctly, more likely an installer fault than a new vaillant boiler playing up already!? Don't be surprised if vaillant charge you for the call out!

Something not quite right? 37kw ? Is your cylinder 2100L? Who sized boiler you or installer? I'm sure if I was doing Job on a price you would have and 18kw or 24kw maximum! Think partial load could be set to 8kw on boiler but that's probably not the issue. Ask original installer to come back, then employ a competent and qualified installer? What was the company called who did the job for you?

Sorry I didn't realise there was a competition for most posts! What's the prize? Did read the whole tread, what I had intended to write was edited out almost entirely as I didn't want to seem rude and what was left was the rest. Who was / is walks with a limp. I shall endeavour not to post unless entirely unavoidable and no one has used any of the words or letters in a similar combination.
Suppose you would like a forum where automatic responses and one liners answer every question.... Not really a forum any more? Apologies if this matter was ever included in a previous post !

Sorry I didn't realise there was a competition for most posts! What's the prize? Did read the whole tread, what I had intended to write was edited out almost entirely as I didn't want to seem rude and what was left was the rest. Who was / is walks with a limp. I shall endeavour not to post unless entirely unavoidable and no one has used any of the words or letters in a similar combination.
Suppose you would like a forum where automatic responses and one liners answer every question.... Not really a forum any more? Apologies if this matter was ever included in a previous post !
No, just seem a bit of a waste to repeat info to OP, I say it just seams a bit of a waste of time to keep repeating yourself, that is all. :cheesy:

Is it zebedy de gas or zeebeedee, same Avatar, its confusing ......that is the question

Can we get back to topic please. In my opinion, Something not quite right? 37kw ? Is your cylinder 2100L? Who sized boiler you or installer? I'm sure if I was doing Job on a price you would have and 18kw or 24kw maximum! Think partial load could be set to 8kw on boiler but that's probably not the issue. Ask original installer to come back, then employ a competent and qualified installer? What was the company called who did the job for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vaillant Eco Tec Plus 637 - issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock