Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant boiler pressure problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteveG

New to this forum so will try and be as clear as I can in my explanation of the problem(s)...Sorry about the long winded narrative!

I have a Vaillant 831 Combi boiler which was fitted in August 2011 along with all new pipes and radiators. Whenever the CH comes on, the pipes in the ceiling make very loud ticking sounds which I have to admit I've left for too long to address. I was thinking that I had a lot of air in the system as the top half of the bathroom towel rail has been cold for as long as I can remember.

I decided to bleed the radiator (Sunday morning) and I let air out so my suspicions were right. I checked the pressure of the boiler (pressing the "-" button) and topped up the water to show about 1.5bar using the installed filling loop. Now I come to think of it, the analogue pressure gauge has always been in the very low part of the dial when cold - even though the boiler has always fired up when needed.

Problem 1. The analogue pressure gauge now goes into the red when CH is turned on (the digital reading climbs to 2.3bar which is an increase of 0.8bar so I switch the system off). When using DHW, the pressure increases by about 0.3bar and stabilises. Because of the potential problem, I've kept the CH off and when I checked the digital pressure gauge after the system had been cold for over 8 hours, it read 1.2bar (clearly a loss somewhere).

Note: Shortly after topping up the system on Sunday, I pressurised the expansion vessel to approx 0.9bar.

Problem 2. When checking the cold system Monday morning (pressure was 1.2bar), I switched on CH to see what it would do. Whilst the boiler was starting, I tied 2 clear sandwich bags over the outside pipes (condensate and PR pipe). Ultimately, the pressure rose beyond 2.3bar again so I shut off the boiler. When I checked the plastic bags, the PR pipe bag was empty but the condenstate bag was very full with clear water which surprised me as the water in the system which came out when I bled the towel rail was dark.

I have put a fresh bag over the condensate pipe to see if the leak is collected here with the system turned off - only just done this so can't report findings yet.

I see several challenges here:

A. Pressure is being lost overnight when the system is cold - does this suggests a leak somewhere either with the boiler or with the pipe work / rads / TRVs?

B. Pressure increases too much when the system fires up - does this suggest either air or water is getting into the system when the CH is fired up or might this be a problem with the expansion vessel?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Steve

have a read of the warning a top of page as you wont be getting an answer if your not gas safe Im afraid.

My advice would be to get your boiler serviced, get your system flushed and stop putting bags over your condensate pipe, putting a bag of a condensate pipe is silly and can with some boilers destroy them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your responses. I put the bags over the pipes just once whilst the boiler was on to determine if any liquid was being exhausted and to what extent it was being released. They're not permanently fixed. Numerous heating engineers on a variety of forums I've read in the past 24 hours suggests to do this...

I was hoping for someone to be able to recommend whether I should contact Vaillant directly or wait for my heating engineer to get back to me which he hasn't done yet. If the problem lies outside of the boiler, I can investigate pipe work and rads etc but need to know if it's worth me spending time on something which may be internal to the boiler and so I wouldn't touch a thing if this is where the problem lies.

You need a gsr in to look at your boiler. We cannot and will not give advice on the installation or repair of boilers for your own safety.

Please go to Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered. or post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

If you are gsr please increase your post count to 10+ then send a private message to either Gas man or Redsaw who will then check you and then give you access to the gsr private forum.

Thank you.

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/42241-notice-gas-safety-related-advice.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vaillant boiler pressure problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock