Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant boiler not heating radiators. Please help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fact, having had a rest and a think
My official diagnosis ( for now and If no one else has said it )
is :-

The brass cog on the MVmotor is missing teeth !.

It needs looking at.

Watch it be something completely different now to make me sound way too over confident.
I hope i'm right !

Last edited:
In fact, having had a shower and preparing for my Disaronno in the plumbers arms.
My official diagnosis is :-

The brass cog on the MVmotor is missing teeth !.

It needs looking at.

Watch it be something completely different now to make me sound to over confident.
I hope i'm right !

The only thing I will say that won't keep the heating water low temp about 45dc max which is the problem

Thanks again guys. No problem at all Last Plumber - all input is very welcome and I'm extremely grateful for it! This place is an amazing resource.

The installer took apart the MRV and the heating lockshield and it was all absolutely clear. He didn't note any problems with the teeth.

MMMM I'm trying to catch up a bit here so bare with me whilst brain catches up with fingers !

I know Vaillant start and run low sometimes depending on flow rates and I ve seen them run a good few minutes before picking up speed. I was thinking that if the valve was slipping it would be opening and closing but you're right. That would not account for constant temp.
I see OP has added that the MV was checked too.

It just seems odd that when the boiler runs and the valve is opened manually, the heating works well, which points to the valve and rules out pipe probs.

We all know that the thing opens and causes (via whatever method ) the heating to come on.
If it opens and switches the boiler on, then the Micro switch works too. It can only be a circulation problem to do with the valve. The boiler and DHW circuit work well I believe.

Do you or OP know what the flow and return temps are ?

If you can't get them off pipes, ( which would be best ) you can get them from 40 and 41 its just that that includes the slip from the bypass and can be misleading.

Sorry to waffle, I'm typing and thinking at the same time.

Never know, it may make someone else hit on the answer !

Hi all,
I've just signed up since I've been having the exact same problem.
I live in the north of Portugal, not the UK though.
So I've had a Vaillant Plus combi boiler and the vSmart thermostat installed about a week ago.
This is on a 3 bedroom apartment with 6 radiators plus a smaller one in the bathroom.
The installer set the CH water temperature to 75ºC and with the vSmart disconnected the boiler works fine. All the radiators warm up and the apartment gets heated quickly.
The vSmart was not installed at the same time since it's not available in Portugal yet. Had to get it shipped from Spain. I did check that I had a netatmo weather station nearby and I've since confirmed the outside temperature is spot on. This also means that I'm left by myself to get it to work properly.

So after everything is connected (the app works fine) I would set the thermostat to 20ºC (outside temperature 12ºC, room temperature 18ºC) and the boiler would start. The flow temperature would get to ~43-44ºC and the boiler would enter anti-cycling constantly (FT would get as low as 35). Changing the boiler settings (eg max output) did not make a difference. At this temperature the radiators are not able to warm the house. Hot water works fine by the way.

So after reading many posts in several internet forums I was convinced it had to do with the weather compensation function. I had a look at the manual of the vrc470f which is available in Portugal. On page 50 you have the heating curve diagram.

If the vSmart uses a similar formula, with a heating curve of 2.5 (default was 2.6) and an outside temperature of 12.5ºC the flow temperature should go up to 45ºC which is very close to what I get.
Unfortunately this is not enough the warm the apartment.
So I tried setting the heating curve to the max (5) and it got warm really fast :) Now I've been reducing the setting (4.5 at the moment) to find the sweet spot. Perhaps if I had left it in auto it would have found the best setting after a week or so (?) but frankly it's cold and I don't want to wait for that long to see if it sorts it self out.

It seems the heating curve is best fit to really cold weather, well insulated homes (mine needs improvements for sure) and perhaps efficient radiators (low temperature? mine are 20 years old).

So my advice to others complaining from poor heating is to ramp up the heating curve then slowly get it down to find the best compromise.

regards,
Carlos

Sorry but I don't have time to read the previous 109 comments so dont know of this has been said, but if you're using g VSmart controls with anything other than a combi then you will need a Vaillant wiring center, assuming that you have one of these fitted and all is wired correctly, get Group Service to come back to it. It could be an issue with the PCB not recognising the Ebus input (will show in the Dcodes)

If you put the hot water on and manually open the heating zone valve then the rads should heat up, this will prove that the pipework is OK and has no blockages (although you may still find issues heating the index circuit especially if the HW is on because the internal pump is likely to be too small for your home).

The VR66 wiring center also has a fault indicator light inside which may give a clue as to whether there is an Ebus comms issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vaillant boiler not heating radiators. Please help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock