Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant boiler condemmed due to Vaillant design error - what do I do......? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spriter1

Hello,
I have had to replace my Vaillant 824/2E boiler as it was written off due to a leaking combustion door seal. It seems this was subject of some sort of recall but was only done if someone serviced the boiler. Even in their words they only "recommend" someone does a yearly service so they are acknowledging nothing may be done on this seal if the owner chooses not to service, the consequence of what could have been quite serious. I never bother getting the boiler serviced but every year I do get a gas safe certificate as it is in a rented property. I would have thought as part of that this recall should have been addressed. My concern is that Vaillant are negligent in not informing me directly of this design error. They had my address with which they could have done this as I had many mail shots trying to get me to extend the warranty etc etc. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do now, try Vaillant again, write to Gas Safe, an ombudsman ?! get a solicitor involved etc etc ?! Vaillant's reply is as below;

Thank you for your email dated 16[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2016, the contents of which I regret to note.

Firstly, please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

I am very sorry to learn of the problems that you have experienced. Please let me assure you that Vaillant manufacture some of the most reliable and efficient products on the market and the model that you have selected has proven very reliable in the field.

After checking our records I can see that our engineers have never visited your property therefore we have never seen your appliance in situ. It is therefore difficult for us to offer an explanation for the problems that you have experienced.

Your appliance was supplied with a two year warranty from the date of installation in order to protect against any defects relating to manufacture. We would expect any defects that arise as a result of manufacture would become apparent either immediately upon installation or within this time.

In regards to the combustion chamber door seal there has been a product improvement to the seal between the burner plate and the heat exchanger. This seal was originally made of a silicon material and as such the service manuals recommended that it should be inspected during the annual service and was to be replaced when any signs of wear are noted.

Since April 2006, the seal has been made of a new material (graphite) which has several significant benefits, the main benefit being that the graphite seal does not need periodic replacement at the time of normal annual servicing unlike the original silicon seal. Indeed, it is only necessary to replace the seal when the burner door is removed for other maintenance actions.

Furthermore, the issue with the ecoTEC burner door seal was communicated to 45,500 installers through the CORGI bulletin TB196 (Now Gas Safe Register bulletin TB098). During this free-of-charge rework activity we reworked nearly 56,000 products and issued over 14,000 free graphite seals for our installation customers to retrofit during service activities.

The additional Installer-focussed activity we have conducted up until December 2010, where we issued a service reminder via Gas Safe Register (TB078), to remind installers of the necessity of regular servicing, and the potential for deterioration of the combustion chamber seal on older appliances if servicing is not carried out. To support our customers we continued to provide free of charge graphite seals.

As per our manufacturers instructions we recommend our appliances are maintained and serviced annually. It is noted from checking our records it does not appear we have regularly serviced the appliance further to this if it has been serviced by a local Gas Safe registered engineer we would have expected the seal to have been replaced by now.

If you would like for one of our engineers to visit your property and inspect your appliance this can be arranged however as your appliance is now outside of the manufacturers warranty period any visit would be on a chargeable basis. Accordingly I regret that we are unable to contribute toward your costs on this occasion.

To arrange a visit on this basis, please contact our Service Department on 01773 828100.

Whilst I understand that the contents of this email may be of some disappointment to you, I trust that the above clarifies matters and regret that I am unable to write more favourably on this occasion.

Yours sincerely

Manufactures of items can only make recommendations a recommendation you chose to ignore also manufactures are allowed to upgrade parts as part of a continuous process this does not mean it was a design fault purely a better material to suit an application was found.

I personally don't think you have a leg to stand on. In your own admission you never get the boiler serviced so any warranty you had originally with the boiler would have been made null and void. If you had of got the boiler serviced by a reputable heating engineer he may of replaced this seal. A landlord gas safety check would not pick up the need for you to of had this seal replaced. I urge you to ensure your new boiler is serviced annually.

Has the boiler actually been written off or just capped off because it needs a new combustion chamber door seal?

So the boiler has been turned off because the seal is letting by?
Surely all you need to do is get the engineer who isolated the boiler to get the correct updated seal and fit it?

I personally don't think you have a leg to stand on. In your own admission you never get the boiler serviced so any warranty you had originally with the boiler would have been made null and void. If you had of got the boiler serviced by a reputable heating engineer he may of replaced this seal. A landlord gas safety check would not pick up the need for you to of had this seal replaced. I urge you to ensure your new boiler is serviced annually.

^^^Nothing to add to this excellent post.

your car may pass an mot each year, but not changing its oil as recommended doesn't mean the engine wont blow up. Would you expect ford to replace your car based on the fact you had it MOTed each year but not serviced it?

More neck than a giraffe springs to mind. If you aren't going to maintain it properly then tough.

Typical cheap landlord with no concern for your tenants.

Jail would be my recommendation.

Last edited:
I would contact the manufacturer and tell them that your boiler has failed then they would send an engineer to replace it.

Please post your area Post code

Such a long post... For those in a rush I'll give the short hand version... "Cheap skate landlord never serviced boiler & now acts surprised the boiler has failed" good luck with that!

I would change who does your landlord safety checks as this is a common problem and most engineers know what to look for. Even if the appliance is not serviced I would still pick it up.

I would change who does your landlord safety checks as this is a common problem and most engineers know what to look for. Even if the appliance is not serviced I would still pick it up.

Had the same thing last week. Landlord gets all his safety checks done for ÂŁ20 each. I went round and found a rotten boiler ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457993295.872371.jpg

Another person who doesn't like what they're told. A gas safety is NOT a service nor I would say would many landlords do anything recommended on a gas safety unless the boiler is condemned. If someone quoted you to change the seal then in 99.9% of cases most landlords say no

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vaillant boiler condemmed due to Vaillant design error - what do I do......? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock