Search the forum,

Discuss Using a mains booster pump/store and cold kitchen tap. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

Trying to work out options for my bro's top-floor flat which has truly pants mains pressure and flow. I estimate it (not actually measured, but from my recollection) to be something like 5lpm and well under 1 bar pressure - the kitchen cold is a 'fast trickle' at best, and the CWS takes ages to refill.

Looking at replacing it all with, say, a Stuart-Turner MBF-200 or even a Challis Booster Plus which should transform the situation - on which point, has anyone had any experience of either or of other makes and can make a recommendation?

One concern I have - I'd also like to boost the flow from the cold kitchen tap if possible but can see issues with this. When the pump on these tanks are running - drawing up the mains water at 12lpm - wouldn't opening the kitchen cold tap cause zero water flow from there and even allow air to be sucked in?! I guess a check valve can be fitted, but that wouldn't prevent the flow from stopping altogether.

I will be asking this of S-T and Challis, but I wonder if the kitchen cold supply could be taken from the outlet of their unit's pump so the pump will fire up for both refilling the tank and for the kitchen tap?

Anyone with any experience of these?

Better still, any plumbers here serving W2 London?!

Thanks.

Your best option would be to put the unit where the main stop tap is in his property and boost all outlets only problem is you will require a decent sized unit

let's say you want around 2-3 bar and 20lpm coming out the tap

And let's say the unit is 200l

That will give you 10 minutes maximum (more like 6-7 actual)

So you really require around 5-600l stored for a decent supply

Thanks again Shaun.

Space - but mostly noise - would be an issue with having it inside the flat. And we already have the dedicated 'shed' on the roof, built to hold the existing CWS.

Thanks for you comments on required volume - we will look at that carefully.

Has anyone had any experience in fitting one of these pressurised (by a pump) accumulators?

Since it 'stores' the water, I'm guessing it cannot be considered 'drinking' water, so the direct link from the mains supply to the kitchen tap needs to be maintained. In this case, what happens when the pump is running?! This will surely deprive the kitchen tap and it'll even try to suck air through it?!

How much space is in the roof room ?

It was built to hold the CWS, so has a small amount of access room around it, but not a lot to, say, fit a larger CWS.

A pressurised accumulator would fit easily as they are taller but narrower.

If we can boost the mains so as to refill the existing CWS more quickly, then that would be fine and is another solution we are looking at.

For info, I've had confirmation from Challis (one of the manufacturers of pressurised cold mains storage systems) that the water is potable since it's a sealed system; the cylinder is basically considered to be a 'short large' pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Using a mains booster pump/store and cold kitchen tap. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock