Search the forum,

Discuss Urgent advice required - roofers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opposite pensioner neighbour is being horrendously overcharged for roofing work she doesn't need, no leaks except her neighbour was having roof cleaned and they noticed a few broken tiles so you get the picture. She signed a contract for 8K which was well described but she is only getting new felt and baton and relay of old tiles unless broken on a Victorian semi. They are back tommorrow as they are only 1/3 way through the work, I suggested halting the work and put back what they've removed as she's already paid 1.5k already. If they put back the ridge tiles and as is I think that should be all their money as they have already completed the renewel (felt and baton) only of 1/3 of the roof, having said that if they turn up with another scaffold rig to do the rest she might be intimidated to let them carry on. Not really sure what else to say or do for her, UK plumbers I need your wisdom can she refuse to pay the completed work and go to court with evidence to say she is being overcharged? NEED SAGE ADVICE ASAP - thankyou.

My opposite pensioner neighbour is being horrendously overcharged for roofing work she doesn't need, no leaks except her neighbour was having roof cleaned and they noticed a few broken tiles so you get the picture. She signed a contract for 8K which was well described but she is only getting new felt and baton and relay of old tiles unless broken on a Victorian semi. They are back tommorrow as they are only 1/3 way through the work, I suggested halting the work and put back what they've removed as she's already paid 1.5k already. If they put back the ridge tiles and as is I think that should be all their money as they have already completed the renewel (felt and baton) only of 1/3 of the roof, having said that if they turn up with another scaffold rig to do the rest she might be intimidated to let them carry on. Not really sure what else to say or do for her, UK plumbers I need your wisdom can she refuse to pay the completed work and go to court with evidence to say she is being overcharged? NEED SAGE ADVICE ASAP - thankyou.
Hi antdad does she not have any family that can be notified?...what about contacting local trading standards....do you know if they are professional registered co or cowboy /pikey outfit?......regards Turnpin

Hi antdad does she not have any family that can be notified?...what about contacting local trading standards....do you know if they are professional registered co or cowboy /pikey outfit?......regards Turnpin

Too late really, they are coming back tomorrow morning to complete work, plenty of family about just without any roofing knowledge. I picked up on them dancing on the roof without any safety gear in the gale a few days ago and whenever I saw them they just seemed to be well taking their good sweet time so I mentioned it to the son to see if they were legit, she came over this evening and told me about the contract. Should be an entirely new roof for that sort of money, mores the point there was nothing really wrong with it and no leaks.

Last edited:
Trading standards will know about the cooling off periods they are entitled to.

If she has agreed then not a lot you can do I'm afraid.
Aunt in Scotland had this, few broken tiles and they tried it on for complete re roof.

What does your neighbour think herself?
Nothing much you can do if your neighbour and her relatives are stupid enough to allow the work to be done.
I suspect the problem is now that they have already started and completed part of the roof work.
If I was your neighbour, I would try to stop more payments and them doing any more work. Your point about Health and Safety is maybe the strong reason to refuse them to do any more work, as they are clearly not doing it properly if no safety precautions.

Last edited:
What does your neighbour think herself?
Nothing much you can do if your neighbour and her relatives are stupid enough to allow the work to be done.
I suspect the problem is now that they have already started and completed part of the roof work.
If I was your neighbour, I would try to stop more payments and them doing any more work. Your point about Health and Safety is maybe the strong reason to refuse them to do any more work, as they are clearly not doing it properly if no safety precautions.

A bit tough really, they presented her with pictures of cracked tiles and rotten baton and she panicked and thought the roof was going to cave in. I think she's managed to get an estimate to put back all the ridge tiles tonight from a roofer and she's going to phone them to cancel the rest of the work that hasn't taken place and they can suck it. She feels daft as she is normally sharp and I said it can happen to anybody, not sure how illegal it is to overcharge?

Last edited:
I do hope that works out for her and she gets rid of them.
I hate to think of somebody, especially a pensioner getting ripped off and these rogues getting loads of cash.
She might find it easier to say to the conmen it is the blame of her family for their decision to refuse any more work to be done.
She needs plenty of family, friends and a few heavies to be with her, at her home when any of the guys might come back.

Last edited:
If she has signed and they've started I think it's a tricky one to be honest with you.

I'm not saying it's impossible to back out but there's a big argument on the horizon !

If she has signed and they've started I think it's a tricky one to be honest with you.

I'm not saying it's impossible to back out but there's a big argument on the horizon !

Around six and a half grands worth of an argument

police are after them around here!!
one of my customers had them andhe changed his mind on the day.
they only hooked a rope to both sides and ripped the acia, 4 rows of ties and a gutterig off, then threatened him for the money!
they have done this to at east 8 properties from notts to donny

Quick update...

She managed to get a quick quote tonight to reseat all the ridge tiles from another roofer so she phoned up the original roofers to tell them she no longer wanted them to continue. They squirmed a bit but she was well armed with what had actually been spent ie. a couple of hundred quid on baton, felt and sundries and told them to shove it as they already had 1.5k out of her and "renovated" a third of the roof.

I was there while he telephoned her again and actually offered to reseat all the ridge tiles at no extra cost, he also made up some cock and bull about pricing policy varying but I suggested not letting them near it and go with the new roofer which she did and seems happy with. All in all she's going to be out 2.5k instead of 8k by the time all the work is complete and a week without ridge tiles (there's been no ingress today even on a showery day ) she does feel like a ditz and doesn't understand why she didn't exercise due diligence but it can really happen to anyone so thanks to all the contributors for giving me a steer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Urgent advice required - roofers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock