Search the forum,

Discuss Up stand tanking kit for an existing wet wall shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones82

Gas Engineer
Hi

Has anyone used an "after installation" tanking kit for a shower tray to walls joint.

The existing installation is a low level 1700 tray with wet wall, aka multi-panel, aka mermaid board. The joint where the two meet is currently sealed with a 25mm corner bead and silicon... a warning sign of problems I know..

I've seen plenty of up stand tanking kits for showers and baths but they all seem to be designed for installation rather than maintenance. As in they need to be fitted before tiling.

I'd like to remove the 25mm corner bead, apply a 25mm tanking corner up stand, sealing the joint then refit the plastic corner bead.

I've already warned the customer that this fix may not work and their problems could stem from a bad installation.

Thanks for reading

What shower tray ?

Its just a standard 1700 x 800 low level tray, not a wet floor tray, just a regular shower tray sat on the floor.

Essentially I think the problem stems from the shower tray not being far enough in the wall, hence the plastic corner bead. Usual scenario, the customer would like to repair rather than refit.

In fairness to them its not very old, must be less than 5 years and yet water is leaking into an adjoining bed room. However they bought the house recently so can't pursue the installer.

Its just a standard 1700 x 800 low level tray, not a wet floor tray, just a regular shower tray sat on the floor.

Essentially I think the problem stems from the shower tray not being far enough in the wall, hence the plastic corner bead. Usual scenario, the customer would like to repair rather than refit.

In fairness to them its not very old, must be less than 5 years and yet water is leaking into an adjoining bed room. However they bought the house recently so can't pursue the installer.

Tbh as the wall is probably already wet I would say your best option is to re tile/ take board off and re fit and install the tray probably using a classi seal etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Up stand tanking kit for an existing wet wall shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Just moved into a house and in process of renewing sealant around the shower cubicle. Feel free to skip to the bottom to get the question! There’s a gap (20mm in length & 3mm height) at the bottom of the frame (where it meets the shower tray) closest to the wall that appears to have been...
Replies
Views
I'll start this by saying I'm hoping to sort this by diy / minimal professional help as I'm a very tight budget! I've got a walk-in shower in a wet room. The shower has a tiled-over former with an additional ring of tiles around it. When the shower's in use, a drip comes through into the room...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have have purchased 3 Mermaid wall panels to replace the tiles in our shower. These panels are 3mm in thickness. After removing the existing wall tiles, I have discovered that there is a gap around the entire shower tray, in some places the gap is greater than 3mm, the thickness of the...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I bought this 1500mm X 800mm X 30mm grey slate shower tray. https://www.sonasbathrooms.com/en/slate-1500-x-800-shower-tray-black-with-free-shower-waste.html It will be installed on a raised bed of 2.5 inch concrete blocks, and I might put a sheet of 18mm Marine Plywood on top of...
Replies
Views
My step-daughter bought a 50's end-terraced house at the start of the year, and found there was a leak from Mira bar shower that was coming through the bedroom wall from the bathroom on the other side of the wall. The shower is over the bath and the bathroom walls are tiled around three sides of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock