Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented tank install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I’ve recently had a new central heating system installed which I’m happy with. The only concern I have is that the unvented tank has been installed sitting on a pallet.

The plumber told me he did this because it needed to be installed onto a flat surface. The surface wasn’t flat because he had removed a brick platform the old boiler stood on to make space for the tank

Here is a link to a picture. Should I be concerned?
8 E29 DEEE 3819 40 EA BB69 F05 BDC4 D8074
Hi,

I’ve recently had a new central heating system installed which I’m happy with. The only concern I have is that the unvented tank has been installed sitting on a pallet.

The plumber told me he did this because it needed to be installed onto a flat surface. The surface wasn’t flat because he had removed a brick platform the old boiler stood on to make space for the tank

Hi,

Hi,

8 E29 DEEE 3819 40 EA BB69 F05 BDC4 D8074[/QUOT

Because it can be a mare to pipe up the d2 if there's no drainage.

• Agree
Reactions: Vee
Make sure installer has a G3 unvented qualification. The pump is definitely not the spec required for this job, asking for a flood. Pallet arguably not the best. From pics discharge looks okay until it reaches pump of course. Can’t really see the cold feed pipe work to comment. We usually use a combo valve which has all the safety devises, pressure reducer/check valve expansion vessel, pressure relief port as part of the assembly.

Hi,

Thanks to you all for pointing out the problems. I confronted the installer about the issues and he promised to resolve them. He decided the best way to fix it was to get a different tank with a separate pressure vessel and put the new tank on a proper platform so it could vent through the wall (the basement is only part underground). Now only the boiler goes into a (New) pump which he says Viessmann have told him is suitable for the combined PVT and condensation output of this boiler. I've taken some pictures of the new set up. Could you have a look and see if I should have any concerns?
He's plumbed the combined PVT and condensate when it goes outside into a pipe that seems to terminate into the soil at the side of the house (to my knowledge there is no drain there). Is this correct?
Also is the pressure vessel serviceable where he has put it. I thought they needed to be serviced annually?
The PVT output from the cylinder terminates in that tiny cage he has installed. For some reason he has put a second pipe there as well which is not connected to anything.

New unvented tank

Hi,

Thanks to you all for pointing out the problems. I confronted the installer about the issues and he promised to resolve them. He decided the best way to fix it was to get a different tank with a separate pressure vessel and put the new tank on a proper platform so it could vent through the wall (the basement is only part underground). Now only the boiler goes into a (New) pump which he says Viessmann have told him is suitable for the combined PVT and condensation output of this boiler. I've taken some pictures of the new set up. Could you have a look and see if I should have any concerns?
He's plumbed the combined PVT and condensate when it goes outside into a pipe that seems to terminate into the soil at the side of the house (to my knowledge there is no drain there). Is this correct?
Also is the pressure vessel serviceable where he has put it. I thought they needed to be serviced annually?
The PVT output from the cylinder terminates in that tiny cage he has installed. For some reason he has put a second pipe there as well which is not connected to anything.

New unvented tank
The tee directly below the temperature/pressure relief off the cylinder before the tundish. Where does that go?? Multifunctional valve?

Still wrong, the blue valve pipe goes up hill not acceptable

Thanks, so he's done it wrong again. What problem does this being incorrect cause?

It won't drain it's more of a hazard than before sorry to say

Any chance of a pic of the whole cylinder ?

I wouldnt necessarily agree with shaun saying the pressure relief is a hazard but its certainly not to regs as it goes uphill alot!

Flue needs a guard
Thanks, What sort of Guard should it have?

What about the black pipe coming out of the wall and going into the soil. That has the combined boiler PRV and condensate that is being pumped out going into it. There is no drain their so I can only assume he is trying to soak it away. Is that correct?

I wouldnt necessarily agree with shaun saying the pressure relief is a hazard but its certainly not to regs as it goes uphill alot!

Thanks, He'd promised me that it would be to regs and it obviously isn't. I'm regretting giving him a second chance to put it right. He's Gas Safe registered. I had assumed that meant he would know how to fit things to regulations.

Gas safe registered doesnt mean hes qualified to install unvented cylinders...needs to hold a G3 qual to install them. So when he put a new cylinder and altered everyrhing what did he do with the newold cylinder...take it back for a refund?

So when he put a new cylinder and altered everyrhing what did he do with the newold cylinder...take it back for a refund?
I don't know what he did with it. It was removed and sat outside out back door for a few days then he took it way in his van

There are a couple of other things I'm concerned about.

Where the flue from the boiler goes out through the wall he hasn't sealed the wall on the inside. I asked him to do this as we had someone come out to fit smart meters last year who wanted to condemn our old boiled because the flue wasn't sealed on the inside. He said he would then he just put some expanding foam in the hole (which hasn't sealed it)

Also the immersion heater bit of the tank (labeled as Thermowatt) seems to have been fitted with some white foam around it (looks like packing foam) is this correct? I've uploaded pictures of both of these things:

More issues

Shouldn't have used expanding foam as it can crush the flue

Get Gas Safe for a second opinion. They will also point out any G3 and Building Regulations contraventions etc in addition to Gas Regs.

Some manufacturs allow the use of expanfing foam. But i would personally never use it..

Get Gas Safe for a second opinion. They will also point out any G3 and Building Regulations contraventions etc in addition to Gas Regs.

Thanks I'll definitely do that. Am I right in thinking that the immersion heater isn't wired in. Their seems to be a big hole in the top of it (presumable for a power cable) and I can't see where else it would be getting power from:

More issues

It isnt wired in..
Thanks he told me everything was finished.

I think I'll be going to gas safe and probably trading standards as well then.

Unfortunately its not just the central heating I have problems with. He fitted a couple of new bathrooms for us. Rather than doing things properly we discovered he'd vented the extractor fans into the attic roof space.

Attic vent

I'm now dreading finding other things he's bodged that we don't know about yet.

Thanks for your help guys. Gas Safe came out yesterday and identified the following defects in there report:

Boiler

1. The boiler chimney/flue outlet measured less than 2m from the finished floor level and is not fitted with a terminal guard.

2. The chimney/flue assembly had not been correctly sealed to the structure of the building using appropriate building materials following the installation of the chimney/flue assembly.

3. The airduct flue joints are leaking rainwater, (No products of combution were detected)

4. The gas boiler chimney/flue was not adequately supported.

5. The combined PRV & condense are terminated into a pump which has not been wired to the boiler supply.

6. The Manufacturers benchmark has not been completed.

Appliance Observations

unable to comfirm if the boiler condense was correctly terminated into a correctly positioned soakaway.

Cylinder

1. Pressure relief discharge pipework for both PRV's not routed correctly, I found that the discharge pipe does not have a continuous fall of at least 1 in 200.

2. I found that the discharge pipe from the tundish does not have a vertical section of pipe at least 300 mm below the tundish before any elbow or bends

3. I found the expansion vessel was installed less clearance for maintence than in the manufacturers instructions

4. The manufacturers benchmark has not been completed.

Stnd and all points to the person not being qualified

What did gas safe say in regards to him ?

This sounds very scary, people out there pretending to be GSR and G3. If the installer is gas safe when was he last in the ACS centre? because all of the faults are pretty basic. Pretty alarming. The unvented cylinder sounds a nightmare. Did he not read the manufactures instructions? I hope you get this sorted properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented tank install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock