Discuss Unvented expansion vessel pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plumbed the property back in 2004 and was back again to move both vessels to make space for a coat rack.
No issues in 14 years apart from the big frost in 09/10 splitting a copper run to the ensuite shower and nearly flooding the property.

Does anyone know the pressure setting for a range tribune (now kingspan) unvented cylinder expansion vessel?
It says 1.9 bar on the label. But I thought it had to be matched with the setting of the prv on the inlet group? Which is 3bar afaik.

Many thanks.

No.
I know I shouldn't be touching it as the regs are more stringent now.
It was signed off by a g3 plumber at the time.
But would be interesting to know the numbers.
That's all.
Been no issues in 14 years.
The pressure in the vessel at the moment is 1.5 bar which I checked yesterday and that's the first check its had in 14 years.
That check was made with the mains valve turned off and the hot taps turned on.

I'm not in the plumbing game now.

That's impossible/ very unlikely the expansion vessel has lasted 14 years without attention

My senses are tingling

You sure you haven't replaced it ?

Or depressurised and re set ?

It also has to be the correct vessel , they are not all the same

Definitely never been touched.
You might think that another plumber has been to the property but that's not the case.

The heating expansion vessel was only replaced a few weeks ago.
Which the owner did him self. And dropped it on the pipe work below.

Definitely never been touched.
You might think that another plumber has been to the property but that's not the case.

You've must of been very lucky and gotten one of the ones built to last (you would be lucky to get one to last past 5 years without the need for servicing)

Also they need to be serviced every year or your home insurance might not be valid if it leaks and does damage

So best to get it serviced by a G3 engy

2006 for G3 I think. Nobody is bothered anyway. How many places have exploded with steam from an overheated DHWSS.
I was on a job last week that had a shower pump feeding the cold main and its been like that for 9 years.
WRAS is well behind the rest of the world.
But at least our water is safe to drink

Last edited:
Just got the answer on here...

I'll be back at his property in a few weeks to help him swap out his old stove and will re check the pressure and re charge.
Many thanks.

Just got the answer on here...

I'll be back at his property in a few weeks to help him swap out his old stove and will re check the pressure and re charge.
Many thanks.

That vid is wrong about the press but correct about doing it/how to

Stove ??? As in gas cooker

I like the way it tells you to replace the expansion vessel if you LDF the schraeder valve an it’s passing :rolleyes:

I can’t see the point of this thread!
Non G3 person trying to service an unvented cylinder component on a unit that apparently hasn’t been serviced!
Surely the simple answer is just get a G3 plumber in?
That’s why people, including unqualified plumbers, ask me to service unvented units.
The expansion vessel will be knackered and should have been replaced many years ago, so laughable for the suggestion of charging the air.

The expansion vessel is not knackered. Period.
And as for servicing unvented cylinders?
Rarely happens in the real world.

Last edited:
And that my friend is why most people aren’t aware that you need to be specifically trained to work on them.

14 years you said, and not been ever touched you said? 1.5 bar pressure still in the air pressure??
I doubt that could be correct.
I wish they would keep some air pressure.
Either you got the reading wrong by taking the pressure by wrong method, or someone has actually been doing the air charge.
Note that if the air gap volume is too small, the pressure can still be reading sort of decent. It requires volume of air as well as pressure. Hence why the supplied vessels have greater volume on larger unvented cylinders.
For all you know, the 14 year old prv could be faulty and the unit and vessel could have 5 bar mains water on it.
The diaphragm (often balloon membrane) will absorb most of the air pressure every year. The balloon will expand as the air side decreases. It will also stick to the outer casing. The potable vessel is normally NOT stainless steel, but mild steel.
The vessel will be knackered, trust me.
It isn’t designed and built to last that length of time and I certainly wouldn’t risk leaving it as mild steel vessels will pin hole and flood the property with high pressure mains.
The membrane is flexing constantly when heat/pressure rises and drops and when a tap is opened and closed and only has a limited life.
The expansion vessel is a basic serviceable part and because it hasn’t been ever serviced and is 14 years old means a G3 plumber will replace it if they know that.
As for servicing unvented cylinders, - you are correct, most are neglected, but that doesn’t mean it is safe. And surely this thread is about doing an illegal diy part service anyhow, which you obviously think is necessary?
You are best to just do the unvented qualification, as it is little cost.

Last edited:
Is this for real? Knowingly working on an unvented appliance when you’re not qualified. Good luck to you and your customer

The vessel is reading 1.5 bar I can assure you and is not knackered.
Yes 14 years.
The owner has never had another plumber in the place.
Testament to the quality of workmanship I left him with I should think.
He took it upon himself to replace the heating vessel, dropping it and bending my pipe work below.

I have more work to follow. Replace shower valves and taps to aid his increasingly disabled wife.
And help him replace the stove.
Now that I know the pressure setting for the vessel I shall be repressurising that also.

thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented expansion vessel pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back