Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented cylinder and boiler cycling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had an unvented cylinder installed and it is causing the boiler to cycle every 3 mins due to the return from the coil leaving the cylinder being so hot. This in turn means I get no heating as the boiler doesn't stay on long enough. I am sure the cylinder stat is function correctly. Any advice on a remedy to this would be good as the guy that installed it is coming back so having a little knowledge would be a good thing.

The guy that installed it is coming back which is good! I would say at guess making sure there’s a balancing valve on HW return.How do you know the return from the coil is too hot out of interest? Other things could make your boiler short cycle.Im a big believer in if someone’s provided you in a service an your not happy call them back might not be something they have done

Very hard to say mate,what boiler,system set up do you have?

I'd say that maybe the motorised valve is not closing once the coil temp is satisfied.
If the motorised valve is opening to heating then you should have heating.
This leads me to suspect a wiring fault, especially if it's a new install

It's an Alpha sy9 24 boiler, sealed system. I know the valve is closing properly because when I turn the stat right down it closes and the boiler fires up and stays on providing me with heating.

There is not a balancing valve on the return from the coil. It joins up with the heating return then goes into a magnaclean from there into the boiler. Should a balancing valve been fitted when cylinder installed?

Maybe you are just heating too much hot water and not actually using enough.
The coil is only going to loose its heat if the water in the cylinder is cooler than the coil is.

A balancing valve on the HW would allow you to control how much heat goes to your cylinder and how much to the radiators. However, many installers prefer to have the cylinder take the full boiler capacity so that it heats up with priority. Most modern unvented cylinders have 20+ KW coils and recovery times of 20 mins or so, so your heating is not off for long.

In your case, if the return from the cylinder is almost as hot as the flow, then no heat is being transferred and the boiler is cycling. One cause of this could be the cylinder stat is set too high OR the boiler flow is set too low. The cylinder stat should be roughly 60 degrees (to kill off legionella) and your boiler flow should be set 10 degrees higher. What is your boiler flow set to at the moment? Try increasing it temporarily and see if the cylinder stat is satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented cylinder and boiler cycling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
I have an old Modena 80 E combi boiler that is randomly short cycling on windy days. The burner goes out and re-ignites within a few seconds and continues to burn for between five and forty seconds before stopping again. Under normal conditions the boiler works fine but as soon as it gusts over...
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from the shower but it seemed no different from the original combi boiler hot feed. There is (unusually) a lever that lets me select the combi or the...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Hi all, looking for some recommendations for a slimline indirect unvented cylinder to go with a new system boiler that we're having installed soon. Only need around 120/125 ltr for our usage and could possibly make do with 100. Been looking at a few different brands including the Megaflo which...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock