Search the forum,

Discuss Underground toilet waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi we need to move the downstairs toilet, as part of some rennovations.

Only thing is, on digging out the old clay pipe, it actually turned about 45 degs in the floor meaning the existing pipe is pointing in the wrong direction for the new toilet. I’ve managed to connect it, but I’m a little concerned.

The existing pipe goes through at the level of the spreader foundations, and the rest bend has to sit a little higher to get it close enough to the wall. This means that there is probably greater than a 1 in 40 fall.

Also, as you can see from the images, I’m having to get the pipe through 180 degrees. Although I’ve tried to do this as smoothly as possible, I can’t get a roding point in the middle of the bend due to space. The branch coming off at the main line is for a roding access point.

Thoughts? Am I asking for trouble?

The pipe is running under the utility room, so if this is no good, the only option will be digging that out. I can’t go through the wall sub floor level, as it’s at foundation level. I could go through behind the toilet, but it would mean moving a radiator. Not the end of the world, but I’ve got plenty to do as it is!!

Cheers,

Ian

17B1044A-88A8-4CC7-B8AA-E3B34C981BC1.jpeg

Last edited:
i wouldnt be happy with that, also any underground pipework needs to be inspected by building control

whats the room going to be?

One half of the room will be the down stairs toilet, the other will be understairs cupboard and walk through to the pantry. See the plans below...

Yeah found out about the BC. Didn’t imagine I’d need it for moving an entry point! I’ve already god a building control company, due to some steels and IWI that’s going on. I’m going to have a word on Monday to get they to add it to the job.

Appreciate the comments though. I think deep down I know it’s not right, hence asking. This has just confirmed it!

8A022DF3-24BB-4C92-AB69-0956F4E8BA26.jpeg
031ED7C3-2DEB-48F9-AA56-289165F5FB54.png

have a word with bc and see what they want i would be tempted to use a double seal manhole you could then possible use one of the 45d ports and then you should be able to get straight into the toilet area

like i say depends on your building control officer

and no

So your suggesting something along the lines of this? Yellow indicating unused ports.

221FAEE2-519C-488C-93C7-0038C8066A4B.jpeg

And sorry, but what do you mean it depends on the BC officer?

building control officer as it needs to be inspected and signed off

I would be tempted to put another Rodding eye after the slow bend facing upstream but pointing upwards to a flush floor access but the fellas at building control know best and that’s what you pay for ultimately make them work for their lolly

Ah ok. Appreciate you don’t want to say go for it, in case they don’t approve it. I’ll send them an email Monday. He’s out on Friday anyway to inspect the RSJs, so hopefully we can resolve it pretty fast.

Thank Ric, I appreciate that. I’d normally ask my plumber, but he’s on his hols!

I’m an Mechanical Engineer, so like to look in to the details, an make sure it’s right! I know my limitations though.

Annoying thing is putting an access chamber was my first thought, but I thought I’d be able to make it work like this.

Think the access chamber may help with the levels a bit too...

Well, I wish you'd done my drain instead of my house's previous owner. Mine in wrong in a number of ways. Bizzarely, when I renewed the floor, I decided to leave it alone on the grounds that, having worked since 1989 without problems, it was probably unlikely to in the future!

Our place is from about 1920. There are lots of bits I’m finding and saying “it’s been there for 100 years, it’ll be ok for a few more!”

This shower trap/joist is getting sorted though...

52EAF08F-5506-4E7D-9897-6AF2063D3EC8.jpeg

:D seen worse

Good news. BCO seems to be onboard with the plan. Pipework inspection on Friday, when he comes to check out the R.S.J. instalation.

Thanks guys. I’ll let you know how it all goes.

Argh!! Thought the mini access chamber was going to be spot on, but I looks like it’s coming up slightly short.

I’m assuming when it says a maximum height of 600mm for a mini access, does this include the height of the base, or does it mean you can use 600mm of risers?

Can you get 450mm double sealed covers?

BCO visited today and he’s happy. It’s a much better job, but I did have to go the 450 access chamber. At least it’s allowed me to buy a recessed cover to tile into.

Thanks very much for your help everyone.

AA57A4DE-520B-47A2-9FBB-88AB1F6275CA.jpeg
9C0FD54F-7F29-4507-BEE9-1BB384C84107.jpeg
98FDF817-66D6-4D83-B2A9-C5C72E4AAAA3.jpeg

Swapped the mini inspection chamber for a larger one. Fitted it all up and have bought a recessed sealed cover.

BCO gave the thumbs up on Friday. Time to crack on with the floor!

Thanks for all your help guys.

1994EB84-DB82-49E0-8BE3-91E3D22AA0B8.jpeg

Reply to Underground toilet waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock