Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor pipe leak insurance nightmare - Advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

srt

Hi,
New here so please forgive if in wrong section.
Last July 2016 I discovered that a hot water supply to kitchen sink was leaking and causing damage to wall etc. I notified my house insurers who have delayed and totally stumped me in getting things sorted, either by enlisting a company or giving me options to what to do. I have had several people sent to determine if a leak exists and its definite. Last was gas and thermal which was confirmed and relayed back to insurers Disaster recovery team. That was in late December and still no advice. It has been suggested that pipework may be re-routed around kitchen perimeter but also floor could be lifted and new protected pipe installed.
The floor is limestone tiled/flagged over Devi mat heated matting and cement. Some of my cabinets have split at rear where moisture has entered and my range cooker is rusting underneath! A nightmare as I say.
I am in a quandary over whether the work should involve re-routing or lifting floor. I am not sure the heated floor works as I am reluctant to switch it on due to electric and water. I do need a firm who would undertake either option. I am located in Cheshire. As to insurers. I cannot believe I have spent so much time emailing them and getting nowhere and am considering involving insurance ombudsman. Can anyone advise as to what company may do this type of work? Thank you.
Stuart.

Need to go through the insurance. Otherwise you may end up with a large bill. Imho.

Need to go through the insurance. Otherwise you may end up with a large bill. Imho.

Yes I am but its like pulling teeth and I still don't know who would do this type of work as its not straightforward and hoped someone here might know of a firm that would/could do the necessary.

Consider appointing your own loss adjuster, one who works for you, not for the insurers.

Also perhaps a letter, recorded delivery, to the insurers pointing out that their delays are causing the claim to be bigger than it might have been through damage to cupboards and range.

I would say get it rerouted so it does not get it any worse and do any more damage pay yourself if you have to keep all invoices and claim it back , then you will need 3 estimates to put the damage right plus any other losses the insurance should send a loss adjuster to view the damage and what needs to be done good luck k

Thank you guys for your input. I continue to await the insurers getting back to me with their proposition (if any). I tried out my heated floor mat and it seems a bit patchy, funnily its not as good as the leaking hot water pipe assisted tiles! One thing Ive learnt is that the much vaunted insurers and their 5 star rating isn't worth damn when you need their help. In six months they have done sweet fa except apologise and really will get it sorted!

Just an update to say pipe is fixed after digging up floor! Had a bit of bargy because they were just going to repair the hot pipe and not the cold:whatchutalkingabout
Eventually sanity prevailed and both pipes replaced with plastic in some kind of foam sleeve.
Now I just wait for dryers to be placed and then more tiles up in order to replace the heated mat which was not working but was also trashed when lifting tiles. More replacement tiles and plasterwork/decorating to do too. Still a long job but getting there. At least the water bill will come down.

I am a bit late getting to this. However i have faced a similar situation, I found it possible with less access damage to use the leaking pipe as a duct for a smaller dia pipe. In this case it only served one hot tap, which was feed via a combi (mains pressure) the new flow rate was sufficient. The benefit less repair work and the hot water run slightly hotter than previous.

Insurance companies take your money year after year, you fork out and pay the rising costs, then your in trouble and you desperatley need their help, you ring them and they tell you to shove your problem up your bottom. Pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Underfloor pipe leak insurance nightmare - Advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock